starting webmin 8.2?

  • mike71ghia
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 9:33 PM
      I have installed webmin and the update from the suse site...
      The YaST run level editor shows it started, running and levels 2 3 and 5 selected.
      Problem?? I can't get to it in a browser via https://127.0.0.1:10000
      I have no problem browsing websites, ping 127.0.0.1 just fine. <can I specify
      pinging port number 10000?>
      Yast showing it is running I am a bit confused... is there something I am
      overlooking? This is my first day using suse since it was what I could find that
      would run with my particular MB.
      THanks for replies
      Mike
    • horrorvacui@gmx.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30 11:14 AM
        On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:33:15 -0000
        "mike71ghia" <mike71ghia@...> wrote:

        > I have installed webmin and the update from the suse site...
        > The YaST run level editor shows it started, running and levels 2 3 and 5
        > selected. Problem?? I can't get to it in a browser via
        > https://127.0.0.1:10000
        > I have no problem browsing websites, ping 127.0.0.1 just fine. <can I
        > specify pinging port number 10000?>

        No. There's ports only for TCP and UDP, whereas ping is ICMP. To check if
        a port is open, use a portscanner like nmap, or perhaps an utility like
        hping which is a kind of extended ping, allowing you to "ping" with tcp
        and udp, set flags on packets, etc...

        As to why you can't connect, I don't know. Perhaps you've a firewall which
        is blocking access to this port? Also, try using http instead of https.

        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.