RE: [SUSE Linux Users] modems

  • tchpers@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2003
      Only in that I believe that is a Winmodem (soft modem, modem controlled specifically by a windows environment/software).

      In this case you might be able to find a workaround in one of the Linux sites for modems but my experience to date is that those workarounds are spotty functionally. The workarounds also take away resources from the O/S like the winmodems do to windows.

      The best solution is to find a modem (external but some are internal) that is considered a hard modem which has all its functionality in the modem card itself and thus the O/S provides the dial up service only thus taking all that operability from the system resources and putting it where it belongs - on the modem - and in the end provides for better and faster connectivity...

      --
      Remember:
      Proper disposition of the spiritual and mental faculties is essential to physical health!

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2003
        I do not think that this is a winmodem it is listed as fully
        compatible on the suse hardware list

        eric

        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, tchpers@n... wrote:
        > Only in that I believe that is a Winmodem
        >
        > "Eric" <twbme@i...> wrote:
        >
        > >does anyone have any experience with the Zoom 56K Dualmode V.90/K56A
        > >Modem #2919
        > >thanks
        > >Erig
      • Matthew Dunaway
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
          Did YaST detect your modem?
          I do not think that this is a winmodem it is listed as fully
          compatible on the suse hardware list

          eric

          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, tchpers@n... wrote:
          > Only in that I believe that is a Winmodem
          >
          > "Eric" <twbme@i...> wrote:
          >
          > >does anyone have any experience with the Zoom 56K Dualmode V.90/K56A
          > >Modem #2919
          > >thanks
          > >Erig

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Matthew Dunaway
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
            I have a US Robotics modem. When I installed SuSE 8.2, it was not detected.
            I found out that SuSE had to be told where to find it. This website will
            tell you how to tell SuSE (or any other distro) where your modem is, and how
            to set it up so you can connect to the internet.
            http://support.real-time.com/linux/dialup/wvdial.html
            I do not think that this is a winmodem it is listed as fully
            compatible on the suse hardware list

            eric

            --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, tchpers@n... wrote:
            > Only in that I believe that is a Winmodem
            >
            > "Eric" <twbme@i...> wrote:
            >
            > >does anyone have any experience with the Zoom 56K Dualmode V.90/K56A
            > >Modem #2919
            > >thanks
            > >Erig

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Matthew Dunaway
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
              What you need from the info that wvdial gives you is the ttyS setting.Mine
              is ttyS4.
              In the taskbar next to the clock, you should see a little plug-type icon.
              Right-click on that and chose configure.You'll see a box with a ttyS number.
              Click in the box and type the ttyS setting you got from wvdial. After you
              enter in the phone number, user-name and password, your done. To connect
              just click on the plug. You should see a little lightning bolt. That means
              it is dialing. When you see 2 plugs together, you're on line. To disconnect,
              click on the plug.
              If this is too confusing, write back and we'll see if we can figure out what
              to do next.
              I do not think that this is a winmodem it is listed as fully
              compatible on the suse hardware list

              eric

              --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, tchpers@n... wrote:
              > Only in that I believe that is a Winmodem
              >
              > "Eric" <twbme@i...> wrote:
              >
              > >does anyone have any experience with the Zoom 56K Dualmode V.90/K56A
              > >Modem #2919
              > >thanks
              > >Erig

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor