SuSE 8.1 Partition Setup?

  • tchpers@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
      Good Morning, All

      I have a Toshiba Satillite laptop with a 30G Hard drive. I have repartitioned it to two partitions at 13.9Gig each.

      I have Windows XP Professional on C: and want to install Linux on the second partition. Here is how I plan on laying it out:

      /dev/hda 27.9GB TOSHIBA MK3019GAS 0 3647
      /dev/hda1 13.9GB HPFS/NTFS /windows/C 0 1823
      /dev/hda2 13.9GB Extended 1824 3647
      /dev/hda5 4.6GB F Linux native (ReiserFS) /home 1824 2431
      /dev/hda6 972.6MB f Linux swap swap 2432 2555
      /dev/hda7 8.3GB f Linux native (ReiserFS) / 2556 3647

      The boot choices it allows are:

      Write GRUB to the boot disk (MBR on /dev/hda)
      Do not use GRUB (a different boot manager is required)
      Write GRUB to a different partition /dev/hda2

      It does not allow me to choose a floppy disk boot or CD ROM boot.

      Now, my question! Will the above partitioning leave my MBR on the C: drive alone so it will not affect WinXP?

      Will the third choice for boot put GRUB on hda2 and not affect hda1 with the windows system and MBR?

      Will this boot selection allow me to still boot from the CD?

      Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated.

      Charles

      --
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Charles E. James, BS/STM

    • Justin Churchey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
        You can always boot from a CD or Floppy via the BIOS/CMOS. GRUB will
        rewrite the MBR, but you should still be able to boot WinXP with no
        problems. /dev/hda2 is the entire extended partition, you will not be
        writing grub there. The typical configuration files can be found in
        /boot or /etc. You may want to make a seperate /boot partition that's
        about 100MB or so.

        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, tchpers@n... wrote:
        > Good Morning, All
        >
        > I have a Toshiba Satillite laptop with a 30G Hard drive. I have
        repartitioned it to two partitions at 13.9Gig each.

        > I have Windows XP Professional on C: and want to install Linux on
        the second partition. Here is how I plan on laying it out:

        > /dev/hda 27.9GB TOSHIBA MK3019GAS 0 3647
        > /dev/hda1 13.9GB HPFS/NTFS /windows/C 0 1823
        > /dev/hda2 13.9GB Extended 1824 3647
        > /dev/hda5 4.6GB F Linux native (ReiserFS) /home 1824 2431
        > /dev/hda6 972.6MB f Linux swap swap 2432 2555
        > /dev/hda7 8.3GB f Linux native (ReiserFS) / 2556 3647
        >
        > The boot choices it allows are:
        >
        > Write GRUB to the boot disk (MBR on /dev/hda)
        > Do not use GRUB (a different boot manager is required)
        > Write GRUB to a different partition /dev/hda2
        >
        > It does not allow me to choose a floppy disk boot or CD ROM boot.
        >
        > Now, my question! Will the above partitioning leave my MBR on the C:
        drive alone so it will not affect WinXP?

        > Will the third choice for boot put GRUB on hda2 and not affect hda1
        with the windows system and MBR?

        > Will this boot selection allow me to still boot from the CD?
        >
        > Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Charles
        >
        > --
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Charles E. James, BS/STM
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. This communication contains privileged
        and confidential information intended only for the use of the
        specified individual or entity named as the recipient. If you or your
        employers are not the intended recipient of this communication or any
        employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
        recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination
        or copying of this communication or the information contained in it is
        please destroy all copies of the same. THANKS!

        trial today!
        > http://channels.netscape.com/ns/computing/mcafee/index.jsp?promo=393397
        >
        > Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 free of charge. Download Now!
        > http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455
      • mario
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
          I have had the boot crash problem more than often, mainly due my lack of
          experience. The MBR option will overwrite windows 98/Me/2000 boot and
          replace it with a linux boot, with a OS selector (windows, linux, linux
          safe boot...)

          In windows 95/98/Me, you can mend a boot failure with the boot diskette
          you can made with this OS, and typing "Sys C:". It will overwrite the
          MBR. In 2000, I have used the installation CD to boot the system and
          recover the damaged system (loosed MBR) with the console. Type "Help"
          and you will see two commands FIXMBR and other, who will made a proper
          windows MBR

          To recover your SUSE, You can boot with the install CD and later ask for
          a rewrite of the MBR with YasT, as well as create a boot diskette for
          linux.

          Sincerily yours
          Mario
          SUSE amateur

[...]