Re: [SUSE Linux Users] SuSe 8.2 and Ntlworld

  • horrorvacui@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003
      On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:08:57 -0000
      "benhigginbottom" <benhigginbottom@...> wrote:

      > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, horrorvacui@g... wrote:
      > >
      > > I didn't advise to do that, I said it won't work for long even if it
      > > works. My advice was to configure the box as a DHCP client - did
      > you try
      > > that? If it failed, what was the problem?
      > >

      > It wont pick up an IP, the operation times out; same thing happened
      > under 8.0 which is why I manually configured that.
      >
      > I've just tried setting it up under DHCP, this time turning the power
      > off to the modem beforehand, however it still couldn't obtain an IP
      > addr. I've returned it to the manual settings and while attempting to
      > connect to google ran ifconfig, this showed everything was being
      > loopedback as it attempted to resolve the hostname.

      As long you're unable to obtain an IP from DHCP, there's no use trying to
      do anything else. Of course everything is looped back - no IP, no default
      gateway, no DNS, no connection. DHCP needs none of those - the timing out
      means DHCP isn't working propperly on your machine.

      > If anyone else is using Ntlworld, would you mind sending me your
      > configuration information, cheers.

      There's little probability that you'll find someone using the same
      provider here (suse linux isn't very active). You'd have more chances if
      you posted to linux newbies (which shows greater activity) and explained
      what kind of access the provider offers, which modem are you using, what
      it involves to connect to the internet under windows...

      If you said you have an ADSL modem and need to connect to the ISP via VPN
      using PPTP and MS-CHAP authentication, that'd ring a bell even though I'm
      connecting through an austrian provider (since this is exactly what I have
      to do to connect), and many others would know what you want to do as well.
      Ntlworld says nothing to us who are spread accross the globe. Technology
      it uses however might be very familiar.

      Horror Vacui

      Registered Linux user #257714

      - and keep following the GNU.