Re: [SUSE Linux Users] SuSe 8.2 and Ntlworld

  • benhigginbottom
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003
      --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, horrorvacui@g... wrote:

      > I didn't advise to do that, I said it won't work for long even if it
      > works. My advice was to configure the box as a DHCP client - did
      you try
      > that? If it failed, what was the problem?

      It wont pick up an IP, the operation times out; same thing happened
      under 8.0 which is why I manually configured that.

      I've just tried setting it up under DHCP, this time turning the power
      off to the modem beforehand, however it still couldn't obtain an IP
      addr. I've returned it to the manual settings and while attempting to
      connect to google ran ifconfig, this showed everything was being
      loopedback as it attempted to resolve the hostname.

      If anyone else is using Ntlworld, would you mind sending me your
      configuration information, cheers.

      Thanks,

      BenH
    • horrorvacui@gmx.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003
        On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:08:57 -0000
        "benhigginbottom" <benhigginbottom@...> wrote:

        > --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, horrorvacui@g... wrote:
        > >
        > > I didn't advise to do that, I said it won't work for long even if it
        > > works. My advice was to configure the box as a DHCP client - did
        > you try
        > > that? If it failed, what was the problem?
        > >

        > It wont pick up an IP, the operation times out; same thing happened
        > under 8.0 which is why I manually configured that.
        >
        > I've just tried setting it up under DHCP, this time turning the power
        > off to the modem beforehand, however it still couldn't obtain an IP
        > addr. I've returned it to the manual settings and while attempting to
        > connect to google ran ifconfig, this showed everything was being
        > loopedback as it attempted to resolve the hostname.

        As long you're unable to obtain an IP from DHCP, there's no use trying to
        do anything else. Of course everything is looped back - no IP, no default
        gateway, no DNS, no connection. DHCP needs none of those - the timing out
        means DHCP isn't working propperly on your machine.

        > If anyone else is using Ntlworld, would you mind sending me your
        > configuration information, cheers.

        There's little probability that you'll find someone using the same
        provider here (suse linux isn't very active). You'd have more chances if
        you posted to linux newbies (which shows greater activity) and explained
        what kind of access the provider offers, which modem are you using, what
        it involves to connect to the internet under windows...

        If you said you have an ADSL modem and need to connect to the ISP via VPN
        using PPTP and MS-CHAP authentication, that'd ring a bell even though I'm
        connecting through an austrian provider (since this is exactly what I have
        to do to connect), and many others would know what you want to do as well.
        Ntlworld says nothing to us who are spread accross the globe. Technology
        it uses however might be very familiar.

        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.