Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Re: SuSE 8.1: How do I change the PATH permanently to include java 1.4.1?

  • horrorvacui@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2003
      On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:33:05 -0000
      "jamesslyjr <jamesslyjr@...>" <jamesslyjr@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, I'm getting closer. I get the right version of Java now when
      > I type "java -version" in a shell.
      >
      > Just one question now. Where do I put the:
      >
      > test -e /etc/profile.local && . /etc/profile.local
      >
      > statement to make it permanent?

      Sorry for confusing you with this, you don't need to put it anywhere, it
      should already be in your /etc/profile file. It, basically, is what
      includes the /etc/profile.local file in the "defaults" of bash when it
      starts up. When you open an xterm, an instance of bash is created; bash
      reads its config files, among others the /etc/profile; when it comes to
      the above line, it reads what's in the /etc/profile.local - if you put the
      PATH declaration I gave you in /etc/profile.local it will be executed for
      each new bash instance you start, meaning it's now permanent.
      By the way: please don't top-post. When answering, put your text below the
      quoted text you're referring to.

      Horror Vacui

      Registered Linux user #257714

      - and keep following the GNU.