Re: SuSE 8.1: How do I change the PATH permanently to include java 1.4.1?

  • jamesslyjr <jamesslyjr@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2003
      Thanks, I'm getting closer. I get the right version of Java now when
      I type "java -version" in a shell.

      Just one question now. Where do I put the:

      test -e /etc/profile.local && . /etc/profile.local

      statement to make it permanent? When I exit from "su - root" (I have
      to be su to do the test statement,) my $PATH returns to what it was.
      Do I need to make this statement every time?

      Thanks,
      James

      --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, horrorvacui@g... wrote:
      > On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:55:02 -0000
      > "jamesslyjr <jamesslyjr@h...>" <jamesslyjr@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have J2RE1.3.1 and J2RE1.4.1 installed, but only 1.3.1 is in my
      > > PATH. When I type "java -version" in a shell, it says version 1.3.1.
      > > How do I change my PATH permanently to the 1.4.1 PATH?
      > >
      > > I am relatively new to Linux and need pretty specific instructions
      > > like which file to change and exactly what to put in that file.
      > >
      > > my directory for java 1.3.1 is: /usr/lib/SunJava2-1.3/jre/bin
      > > my directory for java 1.4.1 is: /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin
      > >
      > > I don't understand my $PATH and where it is or how to change it
      > > permanently. I can change it temporarily. I have searched on the web
      > > for help, but I am confused.
      >
      > Add a line to your /etc/profile.local file:
      > export
      PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/SunJava2-1.3/jre/bin:/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin

    • horrorvacui@gmx.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2003
        On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:33:05 -0000
        "jamesslyjr <jamesslyjr@...>" <jamesslyjr@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, I'm getting closer. I get the right version of Java now when
        > I type "java -version" in a shell.
        >
        > Just one question now. Where do I put the:
        >
        > test -e /etc/profile.local && . /etc/profile.local
        >
        > statement to make it permanent?

        Sorry for confusing you with this, you don't need to put it anywhere, it
        should already be in your /etc/profile file. It, basically, is what
        includes the /etc/profile.local file in the "defaults" of bash when it
        starts up. When you open an xterm, an instance of bash is created; bash
        reads its config files, among others the /etc/profile; when it comes to
        the above line, it reads what's in the /etc/profile.local - if you put the
        PATH declaration I gave you in /etc/profile.local it will be executed for
        each new bash instance you start, meaning it's now permanent.
        By the way: please don't top-post. When answering, put your text below the
        quoted text you're referring to.