WinModem

  • cej4108@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi, Everyone

      If you have seen previous posts I apologize as My Groups has been fritzed and I had to reset them all..

      I have installed SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional on my Win2KPro machine (dual boot) so I may slowly migrate myself from the WinGates world to the free world of Linux.

      I installed the o/s without a glitch. I do have a WinModem installed under the Windows o/s but would like to make it work with linux. Can anyone give me a hint as to the possibilities of doing this type of marriage or should I install hard modem to work under the linux system?

      Thanks!

      --
      Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst
      U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley California

    • Horror Vacui
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        cej4108@... wrote:

        ><snip> ...or should I install hard
        >modem to work under the linux system?

        Yes. Under ANY system.

        Cheers
        Horror Vacui
      • spangenberger
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
          --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, cej4108@n... wrote:
          > Hi, Everyone
          >
          > If you have seen previous posts I apologize as My Groups has been
          fritzed and I had to reset them all..

          > I have installed SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional on my Win2KPro machine
          (dual boot) so I may slowly migrate myself from the WinGates world to
          the free world of Linux.

          > I installed the o/s without a glitch. I do have a WinModem installed
          under the Windows o/s but would like to make it work with linux. Can
          anyone give me a hint as to the possibilities of doing this type of
          marriage or should I install hard modem to work under the linux system?

          > Thanks!
          >
          > --
          > Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst
          > U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley California
          > http://home.earthlink.net/~bamboogrove/
          > Dragon's Gate Taoism

          > The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now!

          http://webmail.netscape.com/

          If you realy want to get the winmodem to work under linux you can go
          to http://Linmodems.org and it has the information to get winmodems to
          work on Linux. I had one working on a IBM Thinkpad it worked fine.
          However, i you have a desktop computer i would suggest a exterior
          modem that connects thru the serial port.
        • Ketan Sanghvi
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2003
            Hi Charles, I just read your post. In case your problem has not
            been resolved, here's some help. I went through the same problem
            and I've compiled my experience in the following summary. Hope
            it helps:

            Regards.

            Ketan Sanghvi
            ketan@...

            I'll try and summarize the steps that I went
            through in installing the drivers and getting the modem up. I
            hope that it may be useful in helping someone save some time,
            effort and trauma :-)

            I started off with suggestions that the winmodem wouldn't work
            and that it's easiest to use a PCMCIA card. While I do have a
            PCMCIA modem card, I wanted to minimize the stuff that I carry
            around with the laptop. If, only if I could get the internal
            modem working, that would be great.

            As a newbie to linux, I started off reading the
            Winmodems-and-linux HOWTO and linmodems HOWTO and linmodems.org.
            There's also a great site by Daniel Rees "Using a Lucent Winmodem
            in linux" http://www.btinternet.com/~daniel.w.rees/ltmodem.html.
            It was encouraging to learn that many folks were successfully
            using ltmodems with linux.

            The first step was to download the drivers available at
            http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/. Here, I could
            find a set of drivers for SUSE linux. I downloaded
            ltmodem-kv_2.4.18_4GB-8.22a3-1.i386.rpm I had some trouble
            installing it using rpm because the package was compiled for the
            i386 processor and mine was i686 and I was getting a message
            reporting failed dependencies. That's where Marvin Stodolsky
            <stodolsk@...> first came to my help. On his suggestion, I
            could compile the package using
            # rpm -i --nodeps -Uvh <packagename>

            The installation of the package was simple and in
            self-explanatory steps. The modem got installed and a symbolic
            link got set to /dev/modem.

            However, I noticed that the drivers were not loading, especially
            lt_serial.o. This was reported by #./ltcheckout.

            While Marvin was walking me through a couple of steps to try and
            debug the problem, I noticed a post by Denis Auroux
            (http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:3889:200105:kfkjjfnhgaamblmhcncn)
            on the Winmodems tracking page by Marvin Stodolsky
            http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/. Denis had resolved a similar
            problem by adding the command

            options lt_modem Forced=3,0x130,0x2f8,0 in the lt_modem section
            of /etc/modules.conf. I could also test out that the command was
            working by using:

            #insmod lt_modem Forced=3,0x130,0x2f8,0

            I got a warning that the kernel may get tainted, but apart from
            that, the drivers installed fine. We concluded that the modem in
            the laptop was an ISA modem which required the above additional
            settings.

            After this, I was able to access the modem and checked it out
            using minicom -s or wvdial or kppp (a neat util which is great
            for linux newbies like me who've just migrated from Windoze ;-)

            I still had trouble in that the modem would connect, ppp would
            start, but I couldn't do any surfing. I then realized that I had
            a default route pointing to the Ethernet (towards my office
            router). Once again, with Marv's help, I shut down the Ethernet
            interface using
            #ifconfig eth0 down OR
            #ifdown eth0

            After that the connectivity worked perfectly.

            Another small hint to Dell Inspiron 7000 users - in the bios,
            ensure that you set the serial port and modem to Customized and
            define the settings (IRQ, I/O range, etc) clearly. Setting it on
            auto could lead to problems while booting.

            I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those who helped
            me, in particular, Marvin Stodolsky and those who have posted
            their experiences on the various reference pages. I don't think
            that I could have gotten anywhere without this help. It's also a
            wonderful confirmation for a newbie like me that there is still a
            wonderful community that supports linux "newborns" and guides
            them through their initial problems.