Weird problem with 3Com network cards

  • huib_vw
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2002
      Hi there,

      I've this realy weird problem...

      My linux system (running SuSE 7.3) has 2 network cards.

      The first is an Etherlink XL and the second is an Etherlink III Combo.
      The first is a 10/100 MBit card for my internal network.
      The second is a 10 Mbit card for my ADSL connection.

      Before I has ADSL I loaded this driver voor the XL card
      (in /etc/modules.conf)
      alias eth0 3c90x

      This worked fine, but I activated my Etherlink III for the ADSL
      connection, So I changed my modules.conf to:
      alias eth0 3c90x
      alias eth1 3c509

      Now the Etherlink III is suddenly eth0. :-(
      I try to load the 3c90x manually, but this doesn't word.
      So after a couple hours of wrestling with this I found out that the
      driver 3c59x works for my XL card.
      So I changed /etc/modules.conf again to this:

      alias eth0 3c59x
      alias eth1 3c509

      But still eth0 is the Etherlink III card!
      When I do rmmod and insmod manually it works.

      Anyone suggestions and/or Solution for this ultra-weird problem?

      With kind regards,

      Huib