Re: [SUSE Linux Users] What to do with .bin files?

  • Horror Vacui
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2002
      blkeeley wrote:

      >I downloaded a program with the .bin extension. So now I wish to
      >install it. Do I just place it in the bin folder of the user or the
      >root directory? or, are there other steps.
      >
      >suse.com is kind of vague.
      >
      >any hints?

      .bin means the file is a binary, and you just have to execute it. It's
      an installer. Change to the directory you saved the file in and type the
      filename, preceded by ./ - for example, if the filename is program.bin,
      say ./program.bin (or type the complete path).
      You'll probably have to make it executable before that. To do this, do
      (as root):
      chmod a+x program.bin
      - which makes the file executable for everybody. If you don't like this,
      see the manual for chmod (man chmod).

      Cheers
      Horror Vacui