What should I download from SuSe's ftp site?

  • blkeeley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
      I want to download version 7.3 from the SuSe FTP sites. However, the
      sites are not very intuitive when it comes to WHAT to download from
      the i386/73 folders.

      Is there is a listing of what item to download and then burn to CD?

      Thanks,

      Brendan
    • dae_mon_ik
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2002
        --- In suselinuxusers@y..., "blkeeley" <blkeeley@y...> wrote:
        > I want to download version 7.3 from the SuSe FTP sites. However, the
        > sites are not very intuitive when it comes to WHAT to download from
        > the i386/73 folders.
        >
        > Is there is a listing of what item to download and then burn to CD?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Brendan

        First, SuSE's ftp server is always being hit, so it's not the fastest.
        Try one of the mirrors, this one is usually fairly quick:

        ftp.esat.net/mirrors/.1/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.3/

        Now, as to which files to download..

        Get all the files under the 7.3 directory then you also want the
        'disks' folder and all the files under it, the 'dosutils/rawrite'
        folder and files and the 'suse' folder and all the folders and files
        under it. Unless you have a cable modem or dsl, don't even try it.
        It still took me several sessions over a couple of days to get
        everything even with a cable modem.

        The caveat of the FTP version is that you can't burn it to disk and
        install from there without tweaking the indexes and stuff, it more or
        less expects everything to be in the same directories.

        You can install by several other methods though. Either set one
        machine up as an ftp server and using the bootdisks that you can make
        from the 'disks' folder, do the install from ftp over a local network,
        or you can copy all the files to a Windows partition and do the
        install from there with the bootfloppy.