Unable to run fips for dual boot

  • linuxtyro
    Message 1 of 1427 , Dec 16, 2001
      i am trying to run fips for non destructive
      partitioning of my hard disk on my home computer.I plan to
      install Linux and also retain my existing windows system
      .<br>however upon running fips, i get an error(when it checks
      the FAT) saying that the last cylinder is not free
      and the program exits.The documentation says " Do
      'attrib -r -s -h image.idx' or 'attrib -r -s -h
      mirorsav.fil' in the root directory, then delete the file".I
      tried it it didnt work.Then i tried this-attrib -h -s *
      /s.. that too didnt work..i really dont know how to
      proceed further.<br>Can anyone please help...<br>The
      sequence of steps that i followed was as follows:-<br>1.
      created a boot disk and booted the system from
      it.<br>2.ran fips ...i didnt get any error message then but i
      quit the program without doing anything as i hadnt
      defragged my disk yet.<br>3.rebooted the sytem from windows
      again and defragged the disk<br>4. ran fips again....it
      quit with the error message just after it checked the
      FAT.<br>5.couldnt run Fips again inspite of defragging the disk a
    • dapperdan12003
      Message 1427 of 1427 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In suselinuxusers@yahoogroups.com, simp03 wrote:
        > quiet group this - either you are much more contented
        > than other Linux users or much better sysadmins. It's
        > noticeable how few SuSE users post to the other help groups
        > - either YaST is proving it's worth in taking the
        > pain out for newbies or more experienced users move to
        > SuSE from distribs like Slackware and maybe
        > RH5.<br><br>Personally I subscribe to the idea that YaST is a
        > near-perfect ice-breaker for the newbie and will overcome most
        > of the little config probs that you see posted
        > elsewhere.<br><br>It would be interesting to see more opinions from
        > SuSE uses (even if just to kick some life into this
        > club).

        I'm no newbie to Linux. I've had Mandrake 6, 8, and 10. I
        got SuSE 9.1 and I love it. I think you are right about
        YaST and SuSE. It was easy to install and networked to
        my windows (sorry) machine flawlessly. I got on this site
        to see what was being posted . . .