7734modified the repositories as instructed-received and error

  • Tony Herrera
    Apr 4, 2012
      Hi Felix,

      I followed your instructions and received a series of errors as shown below.  I am not at all used to the text editors and found myself bumbling around with "edit" and "mc".  I gave up and switched to an x-windows text editor.  However during the process of editing one of the repo files I may have deleted or otherwise put in some bad syntax leading to this error.   I did a backup of the files so I could have the original for reference.  I just checked the file that these errors reference and the syntax is the same in the backed up file as in the modified one.  The only difference is that where it had 11.3 I changed to 11.4 including the file name.

      What do you think and how do I proceed?

      Thanks,

      Tony

      Terminal screen capture:

      LINUX-1:/etc/zypp/repos.d # zypper
      clean -a;zypper ref
      All repositories have been cleaned up.
      Retrieving repository 'Updates for
      openSUSE 11.4 11.4-1.82' metadata [done]
      Building repository 'Updates for
      openSUSE 11.4 11.4-1.82' cache [done]
      Retrieving repository
      'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4/standard'
      metadata [done]
      Building repository
      'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4/standard'
      cache [done]

      Retrieving repository
      'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' metadata [error]
      Repository
      'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' is invalid.
      File /var/tmp/TmpFile.4snjaf doesn't
      contain public key data
      Please check if the URIs defined for
      this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
      Skipping repository
      'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4' because of the above error.

      Retrieving repository
      'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' metadata [done]
      Building repository
      'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' cache [done]
      Retrieving repository
      'openSUSE-11.4-Oss' metadata [done]
      Building repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Oss'
      cache [done]
      Some of the repositories have not been
      refreshed because of an error.
      LINUX-1:/etc/zypp/repos.d #

      I suggest first backing up, then trying a zypper upgrade to 11.4 thusly:

      1-log out of X and login as root on tty[1-6]
      2-'init 3' (shuts down X)
      3-goto /etc/zypp/repos. d/ and edit *repo, changing each instance of 11.3 to
      11.4 (mc, if installed, makes this whole process easy as text mode navigator,
      file viewer and editor, but whatever plain text editor you are comfortable
      using is all you need)
      4-'zypper clean -a; zypper ref' (implements what you did in step 3)
      5-'zypper in rpm zypper openSUSE-release' (do 'q' and answer 'y' when the
      license appears; gets the upgrade process initialized by upgrading package
      management)
      6-'zypper dup' (finishes the upgrade)
      7-reboot

      That will download and install only the rpms necessary to convert 11.3 to
      11.4, requiring less bandwidth than downloading a complete 11.4 iso. You can
      do the same thing again to goto 12.1 from 11.4 (or create a repo pointing to
      the 12.1 iso, so that initial upgrade to 12.1 can use what you already
      downloaded), but I suggest first using 11.4 to try to do the software
      installation you wanted to do with 11.3 in the first place, which should then
      be automatically upgrade along with everything else if and when you upgrade
      to 12.1. Upgrading to 12.1 from 11.4 by using a DVD burned from your already
      downloaded iso is supported as an expected upgrade path, but a zypper dup
      upgrade is simpler. It's how we upgrade and test new releases as the
      milestones pass during development.

      Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

      Messages in this topic (1)
      2a.
      Re: suse 11.3 issues
      Posted by: "Aaron Kulkis" akulkis00@...   akulkis2
      Sun Apr 1, 2012 11:40 am (PDT)

      #1: 11.3 has not been supported since the fall of 2011. DO NOT
      rely on unsupported versions on any machine from which there exists
      a path of network connections which eventually connect to an ISP.

      Install 11.4 or 12.1, as the 11.3 software repositories are no longer
      online, and even if you do find them, there have been NO security
      patches put out in the last 6 months for 11.3 installations (and SuSE
      has put out a lot of security patches in that time).

      12.1 is a little sluggish. Iwould recommend 11.4, and then upgrade
      to 12.2 when it comes out in a few months (at which time 11.4 will
      fall out of support)

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Tony

      Messages in this topic (3)