7035Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Help getting MySQL to work

  • Nico Michael
    Nov 26, 2007
      Hi Aron

      Just to confirm that I am doing something about this , I have just
      purchased two books:
      MySQL in a Nutshell
      and
      MySQL Reference Manual

      Now I have a lot of reading to do I will ask questions after reading the
      first one , hopefully it can help raise the level of my knowledge

      Nico

      Aaron Kulkis wrote:
      > Nico Michael wrote:
      >

      >> Nico
      >> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

      >>> Why would YAST change the default password?
      >>>
      >>> You STILL didn't read the documentation, did you.
      >>>
      >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/unix-post-installation.html
      >>>
      >>> The mysql_install_db script creates the server's data
      >>> directory. Under the data directory, it creates directories
      >>> for the mysql database that holds all database privileges
      >>> and the test database that you can use to test MySQL. The
      >>> script also creates privilege table entries for root and
      >>> anonymous-user accounts. The accounts have no passwords
      >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      >>> initially. A description of their initial privileges is
      >>> ^^^^^^^^^
      >>> given in Section 2.10.3, “Securing the Initial MySQL
      >>> Accounts”. Briefly, these privileges allow the MySQL root
      >>> user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use
      >>> databases with a name of test or starting with test_.
      >>>
      >>> Section 2.10.3 is here:
      >>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/default-privileges.html
      >>>

      >>> That's it, though. I'm done helping you, because you
      >>> refuse to do any work to help yourself.
      >>>
      >>> Come back when you have a question which doesn't involve
      >>> someone looking things up in the manuals for you, because
      >>> so far, you have been too lazy to do it yourself.
      >>>

      > > I did not know where to read these things ,
      > > thanks for the links
      > >

      > All you have to do is demonstrate to me that you're
      > willing to make an effort to help yourself, and I'm
      > more than willing to help you.
      >
      > For example, if you had asked "WHERE IS DOCUMENTATION
      > for MySQL?" you probably would have received an answer
      > very quickly...and in fact, just by asking that question,
      > you probably would have then realized that you could
      > very easily find it yourself with Google.
      >

      > As someone playing around with a database server,
      > I feel I can safely assume that you're sufficiently
      > past "computing newbie" level that you can read
      > basic documentation for yourself.
      >
      > In the future, use Google (http://www.google.com/)
      > to find out if anyone has already written an answer
      > to your question.
      >
      > For Linux-specific questions, you can even use this:
      > (http://www.google.com/linux).
      >

      > Nobody likes being asked to answer a question
      > for which the answer is already out there, and
      > easy to find.
      >
      > And read this, too -- if you follow these rules,
      > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
      > then many times you will find the answer MUCH
      > more quickly than it will be provided to you by
      > anyone on this or any other list.

      Get a free email address with REAL anti-spam protection.
      http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/1
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic