59XFree86 help please

  • posen
    Jun 17, 1999
      Please can someone help? I am totally new to
      Linux and have just installed SuSE 6.0 (kernel 2.0.36 I
      think) on my PC. It all seems to work OK except for the
      fact that I can't get any of the graphical
      environments to work. I've run YasT and used the SuSE
      installer for Xfree86, but when I get to the end of the
      install (the point where the X-server is to be tested)
      the screen flickers a bit and then presents a small
      dialog box with what I assume are "resize" and "shift"
      arrows. I click on "save" at this point and then the
      screen goes blank for a long time; finally returning to
      the start point in YasT. Yast doesn't load any
      modules or packages (I don't even know if it should!).
      I've closed Yast, rebooted and then tried to run KDE,
      but I get a message saying that there is no
      X-server.<br><br>So, my question is "should I do something more to
      start the X-server, or has the install gone wrong for
      some reason?".<br><br>Any help greatfully
      accepted.<br><br>Mark
    • Show all 1427 messages in this topic