4959Re: [SUSE Linux Users] cant get cron to do the jobs :(

    May 1, 2006
      Keith Hopkins (Yahoo) wrote:
      > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
      >
      >>hansw_id wrote:
      >>

      >>>does anyone know how to get cron to do its job??? i m using suse 10.0.
      >>>Then i hv a script at /root/bin/myscript which will sync my data. I
      >>>made it executable using chmod a+x myscript. Then in /etc/crontab i
      >>>added a line like this one :
      >>>
      >>>10 10 * * * /root/bin/myscript
      >>>
      >>>I also hv start cron by this command :
      >>>/etc/init.d/cron start
      >>>
      >>>But the cron never work! The script never executed at 10:10 AM.
      >>>Anyone can please give me a clue??
      >>>

      >>Did you just edit the crontab, or did you COMMIT it to the cron
      >>process with the command
      >>
      >>crontab /etc/crontab
      >>
      >>Until you commit it, cron doesn't know you changed anything,
      >>because cron reads the crontab only ONCE, and ignores all
      >>changes until you either
      >>
      >>1) explicitly tell it that you made changes with the crontab command
      >>
      >>or
      >>
      >>2) reboot the machine
      >>

      > What archaic version of cron are you running?

      Actually, that's still the rule for the most modern versions
      of Solaris and HP-UX which is what I spend most of my time
      doing administration on.

      > cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime
      > (or the mod-

      A recent change which I was unaware of.

      I haven't messed with the crontabs on a SuSE machine in a long
      time, due to the cron.hourly, cron.daily, cron.weekly and cron.monthly
      scripts.

      > time on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then
      > examine the modtime on all
      > crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need
      > not be restarted whenever a
      > crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command
      > updates the modtime of the
      > spool directory whenever it changes a crontab.
      >
      > --Keith

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic