4955Re: [SUSE Linux Users] cant get cron to do the jobs :(

  • Keith Hopkins (Yahoo)
    May 1 12:49 AM
      Aaron Kulkis wrote:
      > hansw_id wrote:
      >
      >> does anyone know how to get cron to do its job??? i m using suse 10.0.
      >> Then i hv a script at /root/bin/myscript which will sync my data. I
      >> made it executable using chmod a+x myscript. Then in /etc/crontab i
      >> added a line like this one :
      >>
      >> 10 10 * * * /root/bin/myscript
      >>
      >> I also hv start cron by this command :
      >> /etc/init.d/cron start
      >>
      >> But the cron never work! The script never executed at 10:10 AM.
      >> Anyone can please give me a clue??
      >>

      > Did you just edit the crontab, or did you COMMIT it to the cron
      > process with the command
      >
      > crontab /etc/crontab
      >
      > Until you commit it, cron doesn't know you changed anything,
      > because cron reads the crontab only ONCE, and ignores all
      > changes until you either
      >
      > 1) explicitly tell it that you made changes with the crontab command
      >
      > or
      >
      > 2) reboot the machine

      What archaic version of cron are you running?

      cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime
      (or the mod-
      time on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then
      examine the modtime on all
      crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need
      not be restarted whenever a
      crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command
      updates the modtime of the
      spool directory whenever it changes a crontab.

      --Keith