3008Re: [SUSE Linux Users] Re: Reinstalling Suse Linux

    Oct 2, 2004
      vibeesh_bose wrote:

      > AK,
      >

      >>Hmmmm, maybe it would be best for you to reinstall, because
      >>this Windows-like One Huge Filesystem is a prescription for
      >>disaster (on ANY operating system)
      >>

      > For redoing my partitions I would have to get back my old data first.

      And this is why the "One Big Partition" is a lousy method in ANY
      operating system.

      > If I try to install over the existing installation, would it give me
      > an option of mounting old partitions and getting the data back ?

      As long as it's not on the big partition which has been sliced
      down into smaller partitions.

      > Then I can, recreate the partitions after archiving data elsewhere....

      If you have critical data on the Linux partition, you could make
      a tar (tape archive) file-- a collection of other files just like
      a .zip file -- and copy it over to one of your Windows partitions
      for the time being...and then copy it back

      tar cvf newfile.tar file1 file2 file3 ... dir1 dir2 dir3 ...

      > Should I use Yast in the installation Cd to go about initiating a new
      > installation ?

      I would copy out your critical data into a tar file, copy the
      tar file to one of your windows partitions, slice up your
      huge Linux partition as advised earlier, re-install from scratch,
      and copy back your tar file, and then untar it.

      tar xvf tarfile