- EAC-BC SEMINAR SATURDAY, MARCH 12, 2011 9:30 AM - 4 PM SFU HARBOUR CENTRE Room TBD 515 W. Hastings St., Vancouver, BC GRAMMAR FUNDAMENTALS Instructor: FrancesMessage 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2011View Source
SATURDAY, MARCH 12, 2011
9:30 AM - 4 PM
SFU HARBOUR CENTRE
515 W. Hastings St., Vancouver, BC
Instructor: Frances Peck
Take this quick quiz:
1. List and define the eight parts of speech.
2. Explain the difference between a phrase and a clause.
3. What's a subject complement? An object complement? An appositive?
4. Provide an example of an absolute phrase, a gerund phrase, a participial phrase. Which one always functions as an adjective? Which one is falling out of use?
5. Explain the difference between a restrictive and a non-restrictive clause.
At sea? Then this seminar is for you. Whether your aim is to plug educational holes, to better apply the rules of grammar, or to impress your clients and colleagues, this seminar will cover all the grammatical terms and structures you need to know. So bring your pencils and prepare to parse.
Frances Peck, a partner with West Coast Editorial Associates, has taught at the University of Ottawa, Douglas College, and Simon Fraser University and gives workshops on editing and writing across Canada. She prepared the Canadian edition of The St. Martin's Workbook, a university grammar exercise book; co-authored the popular HyperGrammar website; wrote Peck's English Pointers, an e-book for the federal Translation Bureau; and is a columnist for the journal Language Update.
Early Bird (on or before Friday, Feb. 25, 2010): Member: $100.00 Non-member: $160.00
After Feb. 25: Member: $120.00 Non-member: $180.00
âºâºâºREGISTRATION CLOSES FRIDAY, MARCH 4 AT 5 PMâââ