Volunteer opportunity - Ventura River Water Quality Snapshot Day

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2011

      Calling All Volunteers! Ventura River Water Quality Snapshot Day

      Ventura River Stream Team will be conducting a special water quality monitoring snapshot event, and volunteers are needed!

      When:  Saturday, February 5th, 9:00 am - 12:00 noon

      Where:  Meet at Surfer's Point Park and Ventura Beach (C-Street) across the street from the Ventura County Fairgrounds.  Santa Barbara Channelkeeper will have a small booth set up on the grass lawn in front of the $2 parking lot.  Look for our sign off Shoreline Drive. Contact Ben at ben@... for special parking instructions.

      What:  Instead of conducting our regular monthly sampling activities, this month Ventura Stream Team will focus on collecting special samples throughout the watershed, which volunteers will bring back to our booth to be analyzed immediately using special equipment.  Results will be plotted and posted at our booth as samples come in.  This month, Stream Team will focus on analyzing samples for sulfate.  In the Ventura River watershed, different groundwater sources are known to have varying concentrations of sulfate.  Analysis of sulfate in surface water samples could help shed light on complex groundwater and surface water interactions that are known to contribute to nutrient pollution problems in the river. No prior Stream Team training is required to participate in this event, and all ages are welcome.