Watershed Revolution letter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2009

      Letter in the Ventura County Star, Thursday, June 4

      Movie brings river to life

      When I speak to local groups, I always ask: “Do you know where your water comes from?” Invariably, most people do not.

      Unfortunately, it is this lack of understanding that has led to current water shortages and the slow decline of our natural resources. The security of our community depends on maintaining a sustainable supply of fresh water, yet so many people are unaware of the river in our backyard.

      “Watershed Revolution” is an independent film that asks the question, “What is a watershed?” The film explores the answer through interviews with the people working to protect the Ventura River, while stunning high-definition cinematography by Rich Reid brings to life the river’s beauty.

      This 30-minute documentary profiles community members and organizations working to preserve and restore the Ventura River watershed. It highlights the need for open space and floodplain protection, sustainable agriculture and community awareness of our most precious resource: water.

      This new film will premiere in two local events:

      — June 20: Surfrider Foundation’s International Surfing Day, The Lodge, 11 S. Ash St., downtown Ventura, at 7 p.m.

      — June 24: The Ojai Valley Green Coalition, Chaparral Auditorium, 414 E. Ojai Ave., Ojai, at 7 p.m.

      At both events, the film will be followed with a question-and-answer discussion with some of our local watershed heroes.

      — Paul Jenkin, Ventura

      (The writer is the Ventura campaign coordinator for the Surfrider Foundation. — Editor)