letter to Star on Ventura EBM

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2009
      http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/letters/archives/2009/01/cooperation-und.html

      Cooperation under way
      January 16, 2009

      Re: your Jan. 15 article, "Report urges cooperation to protect coastal
      zones":

      This article about the Joint Ocean Commission Initiative report, "One
      Coast, One Future," correctly highlights fragmented governance as one
      of the primary threats to our coasts and ocean.

      This report also highlights Ventura as one of the West Coast
      communities actively working to put integrated, ecosystem-based
      approaches into practice in the management of ocean and coastal
      resources they depend on for high quality of life and a vibrant
      coastal economy.

      In early 2008, the Ventura chapter of the Surfrider Foundation
      published, "Solving the Urban Runoff Problem - A Vision for the City
      of Ventura." In this document, we outlined a strategy for retrofit of
      the storm drain infrastructure in Ventura to improve coastal water
      quality and make better use of our limited rainfall. In July, the city
      of Ventura passed a "green streets" ordinance as a first step in
      implementing this plan. This is one part of the Surfrider Foundation's
      integrated strategy for the restoration of the Ventura River
      watershed, which also includes beach restoration at Surfers' Point and
      removal of Matilija Dam.

      Each of these projects requires coordinating the multiple
      jurisdictions of local, state and federal government agencies and
      engaging the affected communities -- no easy task in a society with so
      many competing interests. However, despite state budget woes, there is
      now a great opportunity to construct these "green infrastructure"
      projects with the federal economic stimulus package.

      Restoring the function of our coastal ecosystems by implementing
      "ecosystem-based management" in Ventura will serve as a real world
      demonstration of the principles outlined in the Joint Ocean Commission
      report. Support for these projects is one way our elected officials
      can provide critical leadership for securing the health of coastal
      ecosystems and economies.

      More information on the Ventura ecosystem project may be found at http://venturaecosystem.blogspot.com/
      -- Paul Jenkin, Ventura