[ACTIVISTS] Victory For Trestles

  • Alexis Henry
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2008
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      CONTACT:
      Alexis Henry
      Surfrider Foundation
      Phone (949) 732-6413 / Fax (949) 492-8142
      Email: ahenry@...

      VICTORY FOR TRESTLES!

      Secretary of Commerce Upholds Coastal Commission Decision

      San Clemente, CA (December 18, 2008)
      – The Department of Commerce announced today that it would uphold the California Coastal Commission’s ruling that found the TCA’s proposed extension of the 241 Toll Road inconsistent with the California Coastal Act.  In a release issued from the Department of Commerce, they “determined that there is at least one reasonable alternative to the project [and] that the project is not necessary in the interest of national security.”

      “We are elated that the Secretary of Commerce chose to uphold the California Coastal Commission’s ruling against the planned extension to the SR-241 toll road,” says Surfrider Foundation’s Assistant Environmental Director Mark Rauscher.  “This decision is a significant milestone in our efforts to protect San Onofre State Beach Park and the surrounding environment; and underscores the effectiveness of grassroots activism.”

      While this is a major victory for the Surfrider Foundation and its coalition members, the fight to build the toll road is not over.  Toll road opponents need to continue writing letters and communicating with their local elected officials to convey pleasure with the results and support the Department of Commerce’s decision.

      “This victory would not have been possible if it was not for the activists who showed up by the thousands at the California Coastal Commission and Department of Commerce hearings,” continues Rauscher.  “Should the TCA decide to appeal the decision, the Surfrider Foundation and its coalition partners are ready to fight that battle as well.”

      The Surfrider Foundation now calls upon the TCA and other state and local officials to embrace alternative transportation strategies that will better address the county’s traffic issues without jeopardizing our environmental, recreational and economic resources.

      About Surfrider Foundation
      The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit grassroots organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches. Founded in 1984 by a handful of visionary surfers in Malibu, California, the Surfrider Foundation now maintains over 50,000 members and 80 chapters worldwide. For more information on the Surfrider Foundation, go to www.surfrider.org <http://www.surfrider.org/> .

      ###