Act now to help Save Trestles

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      This from our friends in San Diego

      Please help with the ongoing campaign to Save Trestles - see action items below

      Every day is Earth Day with Surfrider!
      Click here to find out more

      The fight to Save Trestles continues.

      In February, the California Coastal Commission (CCC) voted to deny an application for the proposed Foothill-South toll road. The CCC overwhelmingly concluded the toll road is not compliant with several provisions of California coastal law. Thousands of Save Trestles supporters attended the meeting in Del Mar making it a record setting hearing, and a watershed moment for the environmental movement.

      However, the Transportation Corridor Agency (TCA) has filed an appeal with the Secretary of Commerce requesting the CCC decision be overruled. The appeal process includes an opportunity for the public to request a local hearing in order for the Secretary to hear concerns of California residents. Please help us contact the Secretary of Commerce and ask him to grant a public hearing.

      Click here to take action and contact the Secretary of Commerce.

      We were able to sway the Coastal Commission when thousands of people attended the hearingand now we need to show the Federal government how powerful our voices are together. Please tell the folks in Washington DC to come out to California and hear why so many people are opposed to the toll road. We need your help ensuring the Secretary of Commerce grants a public hearing so all of your concerns will be heard.

      Also in the news, California's state parks took another big hit recently when Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger decided not to reappoint Clint Eastwood and Bobby Shriver to the State Park and Recreation Commission. Both men report that it was their strong public defense of San Onofre State Park that led to their dismissal. They were just too effective in speaking out against a destructive plan, supported by the governor, to put a six-lane toll road through this treasured park.

      In a recent interview the governor said this road "has to go through somewhere. We can't stop progress." But if state parks aren't safe from infrastructure development, then they are parks in name only.

      Our friends at NRDC set up a separate action alert for this issue. Click here to tell the Governor to stand up for our state parks and vigorously oppose any attempt to revive the toll road plan. Tell him that building roads and development projects in state parks is not your idea of progress.

      Ewaste recycling event in Encinitas on April 19th
      Click here to find out more

      Support Surfrider while disposing your ewaste properly!

      Ewaste is clogging landfills and garages across the world as people wonder what to do with it or don't care and just toss it in the trash. The list of toxic chemicals in some common electronics is staggering. In California consumers pay an ewaste recycling fee on new electronics and businesses that recycle the ewaste can collect those fees. It is important to make sure any ewaste event you go to helps to support a local school or charity. Also, check to make sure none of the ewaste will be shipped overseas.

      On Saturday April 19th from 10am until 4pm we will be at Paul Ecke Central School collecting ewaste at no charge to you. We will accept the following items: computers, monitors, scanners, printers, TV's, stereos, cameras, cell phones, FAX, DVD, VCR, lap-tops, microwaves etc. but unfortunately no batteries or appliances.

      Surfrider volunteers will be on hand to staff the event and raise awareness for the Rise Above Plastics campaign. Paul Ecke school is located at 185 Union St. in Encinitas, 92024.

      Art Gala and Beach Day tickets are on sale now!
      Click here to find out more

      The Eighth Annual Art Gala is coming to the Powerhouse in Del Mar on Thursday May 8th from 6-10pm. The environmentally inspired event will include silent and live auctions of ocean and surf themed artwork from renowned local and national artists. Attendees can also bid on one-of-a-kind surfboards and other unique items. Click here to purchase tickets and stay tuned for more details.

      Beach Day with the Pads! Join fellow beach lovers at Petco Park to enjoy a Padres game, while supporting efforts to protect your coast! A portion of each discounted ticket will go to support our chapter. Each ticket purchased will qualify you to enter a raffle drawing for a new Holeman Surf Designs board and other goodies. Click here to purchase discount tickets and the promo code is BEACH.

      UPCOMING EVENTS:

      April 2nd - Core Volunteer Training at Forum Hall in UTC at 7pm. Core Volunteer Training is designed as a way to get more people familiar with Surfrider at a higher, more involved level and develop more environmental activists. The training lasts about 90 minutes and we will cover some background info on Surfrider and our chapter along with training and insight on getting involved with organizing fundraising and outreach events, coordinating beach cleanups, the Policy Committee, Ocean Friendly Gardens, Kids For Clean Water education presentations, event planning, computer based help and more.

      This training is highly recommended if you are new volunteer or just want to get more detailed info on Surfrider to enhance your volunteer experience.Click here for directions to Forum Hall. Swing by on 4/2 or emailbill@... with any questions and you are welcome to bring friends.

      April 12th and 26th - Beach Cleanups. On Sat April 12th we will be at Sunset Cliffs from 9-11am and on Sat April 26th we will be hosting a cleanup at South Mission Beach Jetty from 9am-noon as part of Creek to Bay Cleanup Day.Click here for info on all of our beach cleanups.

      April 20th - Earth Fair at Balboa Park from 10am to 5pm, be sure to stop by the Surfrider booth!

      June 20th - International Surfing Day

      July 5th - Morning After Mess Beach Cleanup Day presented by Sun Diego Boardshops.

      August 9th - Hold On To Your Butt Day

      September 14th - 17th Annual Paddle For Clean Water Festival. Planning has already began for the Paddle For Clean Water in September. One of the first things we need to get together is artwork for the event and it would be great to show off the talents of one of our members, volunteers or supporters if possible. Click here to see images from the past few Paddle's.

      Lots of people really liked last year's poster because it was a great graphic and adding a couple of pictures along the edge gave people a better idea of what the event is all about. If you are interested in helping with your graphic design skills, please send a draft to bill@.... Designing a 14"x18" (or so) event poster is the first step and we are also looking for a 4"x6" postcard, t-shirts and web banners. It's a bit of a commitment so that's why we are asking early.

      Click here for our full calendar of events and click here for a full rundown of volunteer opportunities.

      bill@... • SurfriderSD