LNG Market Assessment Act - Please Call Now

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 2:08 PM

      The Surfrider Foundation is a member of a statewide coalition calling for an "LNG Needs Assessment" prior to the approval of any new LNG terminals.

      http://www.surfrider.org/ventura/LNG%20Stakeholder%20Statement%20Final4.pdf

      Please call Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez at 916-319-2046 as soon as possible and ask him to please to send SB 412, the LNG Market Assessment Act, to the Assembly floor for a vote.

      URGENT: PLEASE CALL NOW!

      Yesterday (8/30), SB 412 (Simitian), the LNG Market Assessment Act was 'held' in Assembly Appropriations. This means that unless we can convince Assembly Speaker Nunez to release the bill, it is dead. We only have a few days to save it.

      We need calls now into the office of Assembly Speaker Nunez to urge him to send SB 412 to the Assembly floor for a vote. We have tried to pass similar legislation for three years and this is our last chance.

      SB 412 would require the state to do a Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Needs Assessment before approving an LNG terminal in CA. It also clarifies that the California Environmental Quality Act requires a strong alternatives technology analysis so that if an LNG terminal is approved for California, it will be the safest design with the fewest impacts.

      SB 412 is supported by over 25 environmental organizations, is a top Senate Priority bill for Green California, and even has the support of two LNG companies with active applications to build LNG terminals in CA, NorthernStar and Woodside. They recognize that the bill is sound energy policy for all of CA.

      The opposition to SB 412 is being led by Sound Energy Solutions/Mistubishi/ConocoPhillips who had hoped to build an LNG terminal onshore in the Port of Long Beach. That project was unanimously voted down by the Board of Harbor Commissioners of the City of Long Beach in January of 2007, in part, because a top safety expert concluded that an accidental or intentional release of LNG from an LNG terminal in the Port would jeopardize over 130,000 people living, working, or recreating within three miles of the proposed terminal.

      Doing an LNG Market Assessment is sound energy policy for CA. Making sure any LNG terminal proposal has to incorporate the safest technology and location is essential.

      Please call Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez at 916-319-2046 as soon as possible and ask him to please to send SB 412, the LNG Market Assessment Act, to the Assembly floor for a vote.

      Thank you for all your help!

      Susan Jordan

      Paul Jenkin
      Environmental Director
      Surfrider Foundation Ventura County Chapter
      Coordinator, Matilija Coalition
      (805) 648-4005   pjenkin@...
      http://surfrider.org/ventura/
      www.matilija-coalition.org