July 2007 Issue 1 of Surfrider Foundation's Soup

  • Surfrider Foundation by way of Paul Jen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007

      []

      July Issue No. 1

      "Soup" is Surfrider Foundation's weekly digital newsletter on what we think is relevant. To unsubscribe, see the bottom of this email.

      []
      PHOTO: Sean Davey
      Pupukea-Paumalu
      []
      PHOTO: Surfrider Foundation
      Point Judith Park

      Coastal Land Preservation­East and West

      Surfrider Chapters in Rhode Island and Oahu, along with many other conservation groups and local activists, aided in preserving coastal land from development, protecting natural resources and maintaining public access. The properties are Point Judith Park, adjacent to the famous Point Judith Lighthouse in Rhode Island, and the 1,129 acre Pupukea-Paumalu coastal bluff, located along O‘ahu's famed North Shore.

      []
      PHOTO: Chris Burkard

      Wave of The Month

      Surfrider Foundation has a web site feature that allows you to download a featured Wave of The Month for your computer desktop. To access this feature click here.

      []

      Moving Beyond Kyoto
      By Al Gore

      "WE­the human species­have arrived at a moment of decision. It is unprecedented and even laughable for us to imagine that we could actually make a conscious choice as a species, but that is nevertheless the challenge that is before us. Our home­Earth­is in danger. What is at risk of being destroyed is not the planet itself, but the conditions that have made it hospitable for human beings," excerpt from New York Times article.

      []
      PHOTO: Surfrider Foundation
      Clean Water Branch staff surfer, Josh Marvit, will use this surfboard to collect water at two surf sites, three times a week.

      Surf Sampling In Hawaii

      Nearly all beach water sampling is done in ankle to knee-deep water along the shore. But what is the water quality like out in the waves and just beyond the surf line where surfers sit?

      The answer is - we don't know. But thanks to a collaborative effort between Hawaii's Department of Health, the University of Hawaii Medical School and Surfrider's Oahu Chapter, we're about to find out. This may be the first systematic sampling of actual surf zone water quality anywhere.
      More Info.

      []

      Live Earth Concert Countdown!

      The historic Live Earth Concert is now less than a week away! Even cooler, Surfrider Foundation Brazil has been invited to take part in the Rio de Janeiro event!
      Click here to find out who's playing and where.

      []

      Combo Package­Support The Surfrider Foundation & The Surfer's Path

      Surfrider Foundation has partnered up with The Surfer’s Path to bring you a one-year membership to the Surfrider Foundation and a one-year subscription to The Surfer's Path (6 issues) + FREE DVD + FREE Bar of Green Surf Wax.
      Surfer's Path Membership.

      []
      PHOTO: Surfrider Foundation

      Staff Picks
      "Most people who know me won't believe it, but I've recently gotten into gardening," says Joe Geever, Surfrider's California Policy Coordinator. "I've torn out all the grass in my front yard and replaced it with a variety of native plants and dug in a little false creek that captures water during a rain. Having my friends accuse me of becoming an "old farmer" is worth it when I know that now my household doesn't contribute a drop to urban runoff since I don't have to water the lawn. Plus, mowing the stupid lawn is one less chore that gets in the way of going to the beach."

      To learn more about Ocean Friendly Gardens click here.
      []  SoBe Beverages is the exclusive beverage partner of the Surfrider Foundation.

      SURFRIDER and the SURFRIDER LOGO are registered service marks of Surfrider Foundation
      Copyright © 2007 Surfrider Foundation
      All rights reserved

      Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
      []  Tell-a-friend!

      If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Surfrider Foundation Action Network.

      This message was sent to pjenkin@.... Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop ALL email from Surfrider Foundation Action Network, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line).
      []
      []

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.