501News and Events

    May 20, 2011

      Ventura hires general manager to oversee new water department

      She and another finalist were interviewed by a panel of city officials, environmentalists and business leaders, including representatives of the Ventura Chamber of Commerce and the Surfrider Foundation, according to the city.

      http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/may/14/ventura-hires-general-manager-to-oversee-new

      Letter to the editor:

      While it is misleading to suggest that Surfrider Foundation formally endorsed Ms. Epstein, we are reserving judgment until we see if she can succeed in integrating our water supply, stormwater and wastewater management. ... [Otherwise]...the ratepayers will merely be paying more money for more of the same, while jeopardizing our sustainable future. And that will be much worse than just another missed opportunity.

      Ventura Promenade Repairs

      Repairs are in progress on the Ventura Promenade. The seawall and stairs have taken a beating, and much of the rebar internal to the concrete structure is in a state of decay. Surfrider commented on this project in 2001 when environmental documents were first circulated. One of our concerns was the plan to introduce additional rip-rap (boulders) along the bottom of the seawall. This is now happening...

      http://www.venturariver.org/2011/05/ventura-promenade-repairs.html

      Ventura County Fire Department hires herd of goats to clear brush

      ...they cleared about an acre a day, at least as effectively and as inexpensively as hand crews using machinery and without disturbing landowners.  the goats' method doesn't require sawing, stacking or burning the brush.  "These guys take care of all that," he said. "They eat it, trample it and redistribute it into the ecosystem."

      EVENTS:

      Oil Piers Project Update -
      BEACON will hear a presentation from United States Army of Corps of Engineers (USACOE) on the planned artificial reef at Oil Piers Beach along the Rincon.
      BEACON meeting  Friday, May 20, at 9:00 a.m.
      Carpinteria City Hall5775 Carpinteria Avenue
      Meeting agenda, along with staff reports, are available at  www.beacon.ca.gov.

      May 21, Saturday: Rehydrating a Thirsty Land Workshop
      9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

      Includes bring your own lunch picnic. Cost $25 paid OVGC members/$30 non-members. Registration required, final details will be sent upon receipt of information and payment.
      Limited to 20 participants.
      Led by David White and Connor Jones, this workshop will take a close look at how the landscape hydrates itself and how we can assist in that process. Participants will learn the importance of working with the contour of the landscape, excavating swales, mulching, restructuring creeks and waterways to reduce erosion and slow, sink, and spread water into the landscape. You will also learn about trees and their purpose in creating rain, moderating the water table, and preventing flash floods.

      May 21, Saturday: Riparian Habitat Restoration Tour and Volunteer WorkDay
      9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

      Join members of the Ojai Valley Green Coalition in Libbey Park on Saturday, May 21 for a Creek Restoration Workday. We'll start with a tour of work already done and why and then move on to mulching and planting trees. The day will begin at 9:30 a.m. and go to 1 p.m. Volunteers will meet up the stairs from the Libbey Park lower tennis courts and we recommend parking in the lower parking lot on Montgomery Street. Wear sturdy work shoes, a long-sleeved shirt and long pants. Volunteers are also encouraged to bring gloves and a shovel or pitch fork. Snacks and water will be available. This phase of creek restoration work is funded by a U.S. Fish & Wildlife grant.

      May 24 - Water: Changing Habits, Changing Policy with Ron Merckling, Kathy Nolan and Bill O'Brien

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic