477Surfrider News and Events 11-5-10

    Nov 5, 2010

      Two studies on coastal erosion will have implications for Ventura County beaches

      (1) California Beach Erosion Assessment Survey
      (2) BEACON’S Coastal Regional Sediment Management Plan (CRSMP)

      In the News:  "Ventura chapter of the Surfrider Foundation... said that the report is good if it leads to more natural restoration projects like the one at Surfers Point. But he worries that ultimately the fix for the erosion issue will only be more seawalls and attempts to keep the ocean at bay — and that will just further the problem."

      Locals seek fewer contests at Surfers Point
      A coalition of surfers has formed, seeking a policy limiting the number of surf contests held at Ventura’s Surfers Point. While the Ventura County Fairgrounds can rent the upper parking lot to surf event coordinators for event setup and parking, the beach is public and there is no limit to the number of contests that can be held at Surfers Point.

      Replacement of old trees in Ojai enabled through grants

      Ojai Trees announced last week that it will be able to fund the planting of 25 new street trees because of recent grants, including $1,000 from the Rotary Club of Ojai and $2,000 from the city of Ojai tree fund.

      Ocean Friendly Gardens

      Please join us at the Garden Assistance Program Workday (GAP).  It�s free. Come, learn and help by doing some hands on work (as much or as little as you'd like).  We will be working in a residential front yard belonging to one of our Basics Class students.  This is a true neighbor helping neighbor event.  The design we will be helping to install incorporates runoff prevention techniques that make use of rainwater harvesting data and concepts from the recent Site Evaluation Workshop. We�ll be using native plants, too.  Food will be provided.  All are welcome.

      Register: Please register to help us plan for class size and refreshments.  Once you sign up we will provide you with the location.  Call Jill Sarick Santos at 805-652-4501.

      Patagonia Salmon Run

      Volunteers needed to help run our booth - contact paul - pjenkin@...

      Runners, walkers and families are invited to join Patagonia, Great Pacific Iron Works, Real Cheap Sports and a long list of co-sponsors for a 5K run benefiting The Environmental Defense Center. This morning of fun will include great prizes, post-race entertainment, raffle, silent auction, environmental exhibits and refreshments.

      When: Sunday, November 7, 2010.
      Check-in at 7:30 a.m.; Race Time: 8:30 a.m.

      Where: Patagonia's upper parking lot (Main and Olive streets), Ventura

      Chapter Elections

      The Ventura County Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation will be electing this year's executive committee at our December meeting.  Nominations will be taken at our November meeting.   If you are interested in helping us in our efforts in 2011, please contact Vince:  vcsrfchair@...

      Creek Riparian Habitat Restoration Project
      Volunteer Work Days Begin

      When: four Saturdays, Oct. 30, Nov. 6, 13, & 20
      9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.   *Rain or Shine*
      Where: Libbey Park gazebo (bandstand) to meet
       What: non-native plant removal & native planting
       Why: to re-establish a functioning wetland and riparian ecosystem that supports a diversity of fish and wildlife species and to improve the flow of water
       Howwear sturdy shoes, long-sleeved shirt and long pants. Tools will be provided, but if you can bring your own gloves and shovel or hand trowel, that would be great.

      5th Annual Turkey Roundup

      Sunday, November 14, 2010 at ArroyoVerdePark

      Aloha Steakhouse and Inside Track in association with N'Step Events present two cross-country races: a kids' run and a family fun run in support of the Ventura Hillsides Conservancy.

      1K Kids Run begins at 8:30AM, with an 8K Run and 4K Run/Walk at 9:00 AM.
      Registration forms are available at the Conservancy’s website
      Race day registration begins at 8:00 AM at Arroyo Corto picnic area.