No activity in last 7 days
Support Group Builders
This group was created to assist people who are interested in starting their own independent secular homeschool support group, but aren't sure where to begin.
Some of the things we'll discuss are:
- To "Non-profit" or not. The pros and cons.
- Setting up some type of structure to build on.
- Creating rules, guidelines and policies for your group.
- Taking advantage of community resources.
- How to handle an expanding membership base.
- Ways to get the word out about your group.
- Dealing with problem members ("no shows," extreme lateness, offensive personalities, etc.)
- Techniques to get everyone involved, pitching in, and excited about your group.
- Ways to work into your group the things that people feel their kids will miss out on because they homeschool: school pictures, P.E., dances, classroom experience, etc.
If you live in an area where no support groups exist, or the ones that do exist don't seem like they'll work for you family -- consider starting your own support group.
I won't lie ... it's a heck of a lot of work. But, the rewards are fantastic.
If it sounds like something you might be interested in, come join us. We don't have all the answers, but we can share our experiences and hopefully you won't have to completely re-invent the wheel.
- By Location
- Nov 7, 2002
- This is a public group.
- Attachments are permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership does not require approval.
- Messages from new members require approval.
- All members can post messages.