Singer Designer 2 / Superba S9

  • Sue Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
    Hi

    I have been given a Singer Designer 2 to sell to raise funds for a charity.  I believe it is the same as a Superba S9.  I have the manual and have identified all the bits that should come with it and everything is there.......but there are some extra pieces.  6 comb-type things, plus an extra piece that clips to the carriage.  I've attached a photo of the extra bits in the hope that someone can tell me what they are, so that I can list it better and raise more money.

    Regards

    Sue
  • rachelmcup
    Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
      Hi

      This is a ribber for the Singer Designer 2/ Big Phil. I have the instructions, and will upload them for you.

      Rachel, Worcestershire, UK.
      ---------------------------------
    • sue.jones.mail@btinternet.com
      Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
        Thanks very much, Rachel, really appreciated. The instructions would be good, too.

        Do you have any idea how much it may be worth and how much difference the ribber may make? Might I be better off to offer the ribber separately (I am guessing it is quite rare, as research didn't find one) and be prepared to ship it worldwide? It's small/light enough to do that, whereas the machine would be too heavy to go outside Europe.
      • rachelmcup
        Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
          I have uploaded the manual – it is in the files section of this group.

          There are two ribbers on sale on French eBay at the moment.
          http://tinyurl.com/superbarib
          One of them is brand new, but even so, the prices, at between 85 and 90 Euro are way over what I would pay! This ribber be compared to a ribber for a Japanese machine – this one is much more limited.

          Yes, I would sell it separately and see what you can get for it.

          Good luck!

          Rachel.
          -------------------------
        • sue.jones.mail@btinternet.com
          Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
            Thanks again, Rachel

            We'll definitely go for selling the ribber separately. The debate now will be whether we do buy it now, or auction. Sometimes we think we do better with a buy it now, but you never really know for sure. We'll definitely cost postage to the USA, since I think this is probably the biggest market for it.

            Cheers

            Sue

            --- In superbawhitefiles@yahoogroups.com, "rachelmcup" <brooks.rachel@...> wrote:

            > I have uploaded the manual – it is in the files section of this group.
            >
            > There are two ribbers on sale on French eBay at the moment.
            > http://tinyurl.com/superbarib
            > One of them is brand new, but even so, the prices, at between 85 and 90 Euro are way over what I would pay! This ribber be compared to a ribber for a Japanese machine – this one is much more limited.
            >
            > Yes, I would sell it separately and see what you can get for it.
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > Rachel.
            > -------------------------

          • ndstitch
            Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
              Fascinating. I never knew this existed. I've often wished for something to make ribbing on the Big Phil easier.

              Do garter bars exist for it?
              Donna

              --- In superbawhitefiles@yahoogroups.com, "rachelmcup" <brooks.rachel@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > This is a ribber for the Singer Designer 2/ Big Phil. I have the instructions, and will upload them for you.
              >
              > Rachel, Worcestershire, UK.
              > ---------------------------------

            • rachelmcup
              Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
                I don't think that garter bars are/were made specifically for this machine
                BUT
                of course it is 9mm, a common gauge for bulky/chunky Japanese machines, so these garter bars can be used on it. Also, I found it easier to use my 4.5 mm garter bar on the Big Phil than on the machine it was designed for - just ignore the fact that you're only using every other prong on the garter bar!

                Rachel.
                -----------------------------------
                "ndstitch" <ndgal@...> wrote:
                > I've often wished for something to make ribbing on the Big Phil easier.
                >
                > Do garter bars exist for it?
                > Donna
                -----------------------
              • ndstitch
                Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9, 2012
                  Many Thanks, Rachael.
                  I will have to look for the 4.5mm garter bar for my Toyota, then! Always better to kill 2 birds with one stone.
                  Donna

                  Message 9 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
                    We decided to list as Buy It Now. The machine itself went on ebay last week and sold for £49.95. The ribber will be going on tonight at £39.95, which is way lower than the ones in France.

                    So if anyone wants a ribber, now's your chance to indulge yourself and support a good cause!

                    Cheers

                    Sue