I'm Thirty...and I Stutter

  • gregory edward johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
      Hi--

      I am "new" to the group and turned 30 years of age on February 19...and I
      stutter. (Ugh...I am not used to stating the fact that I stutter...but,
      it's time to be more open about it even though I have been more open about
      it at times in the past.)

      Anyway, I have had speech therapy every single year of my life from age
      three to twenty-one, except for age fifteen or so. But, I had other sort of
      therapy around that time. Throughout all my years of therapy, I have
      learned various techniques and methods to "control" the stuttering pattern.
      (I still have blocks occasionally...and according to other people, I still
      stutter, duh! I know I do and I have become more self-conscious about this
      "weakness" of mine.)

      Recently, numerous "friends" of mine have mentioned to me about the
      "SpeechEasy" device and most of those times I have just shrugged it off.
      However, now, I do think is the time to really try to conquer the stutter.
      I have been through hell with it and I've been made fun of, picked on,
      teased, etc. I have even been called retarded--which I am DEFINITELY not!
      I am sure that many of you can relate to where I am coming from in regards
      to the struggle of stuttering. It isn't easy!

      A friend recently told me I use my stutter as a crutch so I won't have to do
      certain things and that I'm "special"....which I didn't like to hear. But,
      probably, I have subconsciously used the stutter as a crutch. This friend
      also has asked me if I ever have had ANY therapy whatsoever. I said yes.
      She told me that she guessed it didn't WORK since I still stutter. The
      nerve of her saying that! But, that is how life is and can be rather
      frustrating.

      But, the fuel of the rage which I sometimes feel when my stutter is under
      attack has now made me more aware of it and the effect it can have on
      others. I have been thinking. So now, I am interested in attaining better
      fluency in my speech and in better self-therapy as well as a support group.
      (I have been a part of various online stuttering support groups and just
      joined a few more recently. However, I am also interested in a stuttering
      support group in my area of North Carolina so I can physically meet other
      stutterers. No luck as of yet. Oh well.)

      I am glad now I can become more open about this area (stuttering) in my life
      and pray that I can be able to conquer some more of the battle so I can live
      a more PRODUCTIVE life!

      Thanks for hearing me out. Have a good day.

      GEJ <><

      PS--I still am in contact with my speech therapist whom I had in high
      school....but, we don't mention my stutter that much in our conversations.
      Also, a Christian Singles Pastor whom I know is a "former" stutterer and I
      have been in contact with him lately concerning my stutter. So, I do have
      resources. All I need to do now is to use them.
    • DIGGSK2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2003
        Hello Gregory,
           I understand exactly how you feel. I am 24 and am very frustrated with my stutter as well. I saw that you were in North Carolina and I wanted to know which part, as I am in North Carolina as well. I am in the Charlotte area. Just curious and I could use some support and practice as well. Look forward to hearing from you.

        Benjamin Digby