Thelma Houston performs LIVE this Saturday September 8th 2pm - Hollywood

  • lariverboy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2007
      Catch Thelma performing LIVE in celebration of her new record at 2pm this Saturday in Los
      Angeles. This event is FREE and all ages. Details here: http://www.amoeba.com

      Thelma Houston, the dynamic voice behind the disco anthem "Don't Leave Me This Way,"
      is back with her first album in over 17 years. In a clever twist, Houston uses A Woman's
      Touch (in stores August 14th via Shout! Factory) to transform songs made famous by
      some of the biggest singers – male singers - in R&B and pop.The new Cd was entirely
      conceived by Thelma Houston, as well as executive produced by Thelma in association
      with Stephen Ford of Diva Central, Inc. A Woman's Touch is filled with songs she has long
      been a fan of. "They are songs I always wished I had recorded," she explains, "and I loved
      doing them from a woman's standpoint." But Houston doesn't just put a female spin on
      the lyrics, she takes over and completely reworks the songs through soul, R&B, blues and
      dance floor filters. "Ain't That Peculiar" and Sting's "Brand New Day" get bluesy, sassy
      make overs, while "Disco Heat/Mighty Real" (a nod to Houston's disco past and tribute to
      her old friend Sylvester) starts out a poignant gospel song and closes with Studio 54-era
      exuberance. Houston revisits another friend from her early career, covering Jimmy Webb's
      "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" (Webb wrote and produced Houston's 1969 debut album),
      rebuilding it with incredible old school R&B flair. And then there's Thelma triumphant
      return to her dance floor roots with a fierce version of Luther Vandross' "Never Too Much"

      A Grammy Award winning artist who has released more than a dozen albums, "I feel
      blessed because I've never stopped working and I love what I do. I can truly say that I
      appreciate my career and sometimes it really feels like I'm just getting started" says
      Houston. In the years since "Don't Leave Me This Way" topped the pop and dance charts,
      Houston has toured incessantly, performing over 200 shows each year, including an
      opening slot on Cher's Farewell tour. She was recently inducted into the Dance Music Hall
      of Fame and honored on the television show Showtime at the Apollo as an Apollo Legend.
      Most recently she was cast in the role of Madam ZinZanni in the highly popular play,
      Teatro ZinZanni, performed internationally in the touring cast of Fame, starred in the
      musical Big Otis' Jump Up Blues Revue (by Tony Award winning director Otis Sallid) and
      appeared in OprahWinfrey's Beloved. A tireless supporter of AIDS related charities,
      Houston was honored by the City of West Hollywood (CA) in 2003, when it declared
      January 29th "Thelma Houston Day."