Latest News From Bruiser Theatre Company

  • S.Beggs
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011

      Hi, folks.

      It’s been a busy Summer for Bruiser and we’ve also just started rehearsals for our next touring show ‘Cooking with Elvis’.  Thought it was time for an update!

      1.       Bruiser’s ‘Cooking With Elvis’ goes into rehearsals

      We're delighted to announce the full team for Bruiser’s forthcoming touring production ‘Cooking With Elvis’ by Lee Hall. The four-strong cast are Stephen Beggs, Shaun Blaney, Jo Donnelly and Nuala McGowan. We've worked with Jo before on rehearsed readings but it's great to have her in one of our full shows. After 10 years in the Bruiser office, Company Manager Stephen Beggs is taking to the stage as a fully fledged Bruiser cast member for the first time. We're also delighted that Nuala McGowan is back with us, having taken part in our 2008 Level 2 Summer School. Fresh from working on Replay's 'The School Underneath', it's fantastic to have Shaun Blaney with us for the first time.

      Director Lisa May is joined on the production by Bruiser's fantastic Stage Management team, Rory Casey and Patrick Freeman, as well as our long-time collaborators Sean Paul O'Rawe on Lighting Design. and Diana Ennis on Set & Costume Design. Musical Direction is by Mark Dougherty. Our Production Intern on the show is Sophie Thompson.

      Rehearsals started on the 30th August.  We'll bring you more news from the rehearsal room as the show nears production.

      Go to http://www.bruisertheatrecompany.com/presentshow.htm for full details of the tour and how to book tickets.

      Our lovely new e-flier for the show will be arriving in your email inbox at the end of this week – spread the word!!

      2.      Bruiser’s 2011 Graduate Academy

      Our 2011 Graduate Academy drew to a close on the 25th August with a fantastic showcase performance at The Brian Friel Theatre at Queens. Our 10-strong team did themselves proud throughout the course of a challenging programme which saw rehearsals for a group performance piece with Lisa May and Ross Anderson, work on individual monologues and practical sessions with local industry professionals. We were also joined on the project by placement student Brian Diamond.  See Bruiser’s Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bruiser-Theatre-Company/143674609013166 for more photographs and information.  A 2011 Graduate Academy Archive page will be posted on the Bruiser website very soon.

      3.       Bruiser 2011 Level 1 & 2 Summer Schools

      Bruiser's Level 1 & 2 Summer Schools took place in July. 18 young people worked with Lisa May and Ross Anderson on two intensive 10 day courses, leading to excellent showcase performances at The Brian Friel Theatre in Queens University. We were also joined on the project for a second year by Interns Karen Doherty and Patricia Brennan. See http://www.bruisertheatrecompany.com/archives.htm for more photographs and information on our 2011 Summer Schools. You can also donate to the Bruiser Arts Academy Campaign (to support next year's programme) by clicking on http://www.bruisertheatrecompany.com/artsacademy.htm.

      4.      Bruiser Beat Carnival Group performs in Belfast’s Botanic Gardens

      The Bruiser Beat Carnival Group were back in action for their biggest project yet on Sunday 24th July with 'Life Is A Carnival' in Botanic Gardens, as part of the Beat Carnival's fantastic family event. Our group worked with Rachael McCabe to devise a Carnival Recruitment Officer act, as well as animating the superb carnival puppet heads that the Beat had made. See Bruiser's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bruiser-Theatre-Company/143674609013166 for loads more photos and video clips of this fantastic event.

      See you all on the road!

      Cheers,

      Stephen

      Stephen Beggs