The @VisArtsIreland News Sheet | May / June 2013

  • Visual Artists Ireland
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2013
      VAI LogoVisual Artists News Sheet
      May / June 2013

      All of our current paid-up members will have received the latest issue of the Visual Artists News Sheet (VAN) direct to their postal address by now. Published 6 times a year VAN is an information resource for artists in Ireland. It is useful, practical and relevant and draws on a diverse range of contributors and assumes a broad readership amongst visual artists.

      The latest issue is packed full of news, reviews, report, critiques, opportunities and much more. A selection of articles from the current issue are now available on our website for you to enjoy. Simply click on the links below. However, the most effective way to ensure that you receive VAN both regularly and promptly is to become a member of Visual Artists Ireland. Membership is open to all artists and entitles you to an annual subscription to VAN as well as a host of other benefits.

      van_May_june_cover
      IN the May / June edition, we introduce the Valerie Earley residency award, in memory of our dear friend and colleague. The award is open to all VAI members, and offers a two-week residency at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre.

      The Visual Artists Ireland Get Together 2013 takes place Friday 28 June at NCAD, Dublin. Bookings are now being taken for this inclusive day of sharing, networking and information forums for artists and everybody with a professional interest in the visual arts sector.

      Our reviews include: 'The Artist's Overcoat' – exploring the studio and collections of F E McWilliam; Ffrench / Harte's 'The Sovereigns' at Mermaid, Bray; 'Analysing Cubism' at IMMA; 'Monuments' at Lismore Castle Arts; Anthony Haughey's 'Citizen' Highlanes Gallery, Drogheda; and Seamus Nolan's '10th President' at TBG&S, Dublin.

      Columnist Emily Mark-FitzGerald considers cultural democracy and the internet. Similarly Anne Mullee interviews Mariana Cánepa Luna and Max Andrews about #OpenCurating project, an international survey of the online mediation of art projects and instititions.

      We present plethora of national and international case studies. These include profiles of  the Joinery in Dublin and NeXus Arts in Drogheda. Richard Mosse, who is representing Ireland at the 2013 Venice Biennale, is interviewed by our editor Jason Oakley.

      Sue Morris shares her experience of a residency at AIR Krems, Austria. Margo McNulty profiles her time utilising the print facilities at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre. Rory Tangey and Nick Stewart offer 'How is it Made?' accounts of recent projects in Cork and Southampton, UK. Susanne Stich discusses 'Small Worlds' – innovative moving image arts workshops for children, held at the Void, Derry. Our Regional Focus is on Sligo, with input from the Arts Office, The Model and artists Andy Parsons, Adam Burtham and Lisa Vandergrift Davala.

      Recent talks – on the subject of collaboration at Pallas, Dublin and arts and disability at the Glucksman, Cork – are covered respectively by Jonathan Carroll and James Merrigan.

      Belfast based artist Dougal McKenzie addresses his 'Career Development', stressing balancing an understanding the importance of the 'lucky break'. Joanna Hopkins the, 2012 winner of the first Visual Artists Ireland / Digital Art Studios Residency Award, assesses her experience of the residency and the work she created. Finnish curator Kati Kivinen talks about her experience of conducting Peer Critique sessions for VAI's Professional Development Programme.

      The latest information of VAI's Professional Development training and events programme for spring / summer 2013 onwards can also be found – book now to avoid disappointment!

      In our second art and philosophy article, Sinead Hogan interviews Paul Ennis of UCD about two recent philosophical concepts – Object Orientated Ontology and Speculative Realism – that artists have been taking an interest in. Accounts by our regional representatives, Aideen Barry in the West of Ireland and Feargal O'Malley in Northern Ireland, explore the state of play and ups and downs of their respective territories.

      We also welcome back, Pablo Helguera's Artoons, which highlight the foibles, ironies and occasional foolishness of the art world, captured with clarity and economy.

      All this and our regular roundups of recent exhibitions and projects of note, details of all the latest grants, awards, exhibition calls and commissions, and key news items from the visual arts sector.

      Support

      Visual Artists Ireland is core funded by the Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaion and the Arts Council of Northern Ireland.

      Disclaimer
      While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our information, we strongly advise subscribers to verify all details to their own satisfaction before forwarding artwork, slides or monies etc. with regard to opportunities.

      Copyright
      © the writer(s), the artist(s), and Visual Artists Ireland. This text is for personal use only. Artists may download this text for the limited purpose of use in their business or professional practice as artists. See below.

      Format
      This e-bulletin is sent in both plain text and html format. You can select your preferred format by choosing html or text in the preference settings of your email programme

      Unsubscribe / Subscribe
      To subscribe or unsubscribe to this e-bulletin please go to:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/studio-ni/join

      e-bulletin Archive
      The e-bulletin is archived at  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/studio-ni/messages

      Websites:
      Visual Artists Ireland

      for Visual Artists in Northern Ireland

      Twitter Account #VisArtsIreland

      Facebook Page "Visual Artists Ireland”

      Facebook Page "Visual Artists Ireland - Professional Development”

      Facebook Page "for Visual Artists in Northern Ireland”

      The Common Room Social Network for Visual Artists

      FacebookTwitterDiggdel.icio.us Google ReaderRedditStumbleUpon

      Arts Council of Ireland

      Visual Artists Ireland is funded by the Arts Council /An Chomhairle Ealaíon and The Arts Council of Northern Ireland.

      Visual Artists Ireland is the trading name of the Sculptors' Society of Ireland Ltd.

      Ealaíontóirí Radharcacha Éire,

      Visual Artists Ireland,
      Central Hotel Chambers,
      7/9 Dame Court,
      Dublin 2
      Tel: +353 (0)1 672 9488
      Fax: +353 (0)1 672 9482
      Email: info@...

      We make most of our content freely available, therefore we ask that you pay us a courtesy by showing us as the source of the information. Articles from: Info~Pool, Visual Artists News Sheet, and Printed Project are subject to specific copyright and should not be copied without express permission.

      Arts Council of Northern Ireland Lottery Funded

      DCC Logo

      Click here to unsubscribe from future mailings.