Fw: @IrishComicNews

  • belfringe
    Message 1 of 393 , Apr 30, 2013
      'Ghosts in the Glass' anthology on sale, £1 goes to Action Cancer
      From: Irish Comic News
      Subject: Irish Comic News
      Date: Tuesday, 30 April, 2013, 19:18
      Irish Comic News

      Irish Comic News

      COMICS ON ICN: Why Don’t You Call

      The�fourth installment on Comics on ICN�is a cracker from the pages of 2012′s Romantic Mayhem. Written by Gar Shanley with art by Archie Templar, ‘Why Won’t He Call’�is a biting satire that was one of the books standout strips.

      Take a look below and if you haven’t read Romantic Mayhem yet why not go buy it over at http://www.blurb.com/b/3120291-romantic-mayhem-pocket-book

      National Tragedy, the small press comics cabal that brought you Romantic Mayhem, turn their attentions to Boy’s Own adventure with their new offering Courageous Mayhem which launches on May 4th featuring creators: John Robbins, Antonio Carty, Deirdre de Barra, Alan Nolan, Elida�Maiques, Cathal�Duggan, Gar Shanley, Ronan Kennedy, Papa Hotel, Ian Pettitt, Philip Barrett, Paddy Lynch, Emma Rowe, Paddy Brown, Andy Luke, Tommie Kelly, Daniel Pongo, and Archimedes Templar. More of which you can see here: .http://www.irishcomicnews.com/2013/04/event-courageous-mayhem-comic-launch-may-4th/

      MAKING COMICS: The Importance of Proofreading

      I have been lucky enough to have reviewed a great number of books here on ICN, and consider it a privilege to be part of a site that gives attention to the exciting, emerging talent we have in the Irish comic scene. The past year I have spent writing for the site has opened my eyes to the breadth of talent producing comics in Ireland.

      Unfortunately, it has opened my eyes to a few other things as well, no. 1 of which is the importance of proofreading. If you are creating a comic, on any level, it is essential that before it goes to print, or online, the comic has been proofread by someone other than yourself. Preferably a few other people.

      I am not talking about editing here. If you think your story is the best thing that’s ever been seen by man or beast and is perfect in structure, theme and execution, and doesn’t need a story editor; fine. That’s a discussion for another day. What I am talking about is the much more straightforward business of proofreading. Simply finding and correcting errors in the words or art. The basics, like spelling, punctuation, speech bubbles assigned to the right characters and in the right order.

      I have read some small press titles that have really impressed me. Some fresh, new ideas, with exciting artwork. And in many of these titles, the spell cast by an enthralling story or fine pencilling has been broken by a typo, or misspelling. Something small, easily missed; a silly mistake. And immediately I go from thinking –what a book these guys have put together, to –oh, this is a bit shoddy. It can completely change my perception of a book from polished to amateur.

      I am not nit-picking here. I am not a grammar-fascist (I kind of am, though, but that’s not relevant right now). It doesn’t unduly upset me that something has been spelled wrong, or a word misused. It upsets me that whoever went to all the trouble to put together an otherwise-great comic book did not get someone to read over it before rushing it to the printers.

      To help illustrate my point of what a difference in perception this makes: In a previous career I managed sales at a distribution company, and did the hiring for the sales team. When looking over CVs for new staff, if I found spelling errors or other typos, that candidate got no further. Their CV was taken out of consideration and would not get an interview. Not because they couldn’t spell, but because they couldn’t be bothered to check their CV for errors. That’s not the type of person I wanted working for me. If you’re not going to check your work, to be thorough about something as important as your CV, then you’re not a good hire.

      If you are making comics, everything you publish is your CV. Every book, every web page with your work on it. Whether you want to keep self-publishing or get noticed by a publisher, your reputation is carried by your previous output. So make sure it’s as good as it can be.

      Before you send your book to print, get a few people to read it for you, and let them know their job is to find errors. Not to praise your lovely book, not to admire your art or writing, just to check it for mistakes. To this end, they don’t even have to be comic readers. Probably better if they’re not. You want someone who won’t be too caught up in the content to notice the mistakes lurking in those speech bubbles. Your work will be all the more polished for it, and small, silly errors won’t get in the way of an otherwise enjoyable experience for your reader.

      You are subscribed to email updates from Irish Comic News
      Email delivery powered by Google
    • belfringe
      Message 393 of 393 , May 13, 2013
        'Ghosts in the Glass' anthology on sale, £1 goes to Action Cancer
        From: Irish Comic News
        Date: Monday, 13 May, 2013, 19:47
        Irish Comic News

        Irish Comic News

        TEASER ART: A Page From Singularity By Amrit Birdi; Story By Darrin O’Toole

        The British Showcase Anthology is a collection of�twenty original and complete stories in the horror and Sci-fi genre due out from Markosia later this year. Teaser art from the various strips have been appearing online lately including the page below from artist Amrit Birsi and Darrin O’Toole.

        ART: Nick Grey’s Celtic Warrior

        It’s always a good time when Nick Grey updates his blog which he did recently with a slew of recent work that he has done including the piece below that also appeared on the Irish Sketch Society page on facebook. It is of the Celtic Warrior and I don’t think it would have looked out of place on a Northlanders cover to be honest.

        Take a peek at Nick’s blog to see more recent work of his: http://du1l.com/

        NEWS: Vertigo To Release New American Vampire Anthology In August

        Vertigo Comics have announced an August release of American Vampire: Anthology. With the main American Vampire book on hiatus right now and a Canadian Vampire book also announced it looks like later this year will be a good time to be a fan of the title with a slew of new spin off work from the�acclaimed book due. The 80 page book will feature Ireland’s Declan Shalvey along side some of comics biggest names including Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, Jeff Limire, Gabrial Ba and many more.

        Anthology will follow the release of American Vampire: The Long Road to Hell, co-written by Scott Snyder and Rafa Albuquerque with art by Albuquerque which debuts in June during the ongoing series’ hiatus.

        COVER ART ROUND UP: Roisin Dubh #3, Jennifer Wilde #3 & LOV: Return of the King #1

        The next few weeks promises to be a busy time for Atomic Diner�with 3 expected new arrivals on shelves. Take a look below for the cover art to Roisin Dubh #3, Jennifer Wilde #3 and the first issue of a three issue mini series League of Volunteers: Return of the King #1 of 3.

        THEM #1 By Tommie Kelly NOW AVAILABLE!

        Issue One is now available for you to download using the PAY WHAT YOU WANT model. Basically click the Paypal Dionate link and enter the amount that you feel the comic is worth and then Paypal will re-direct you to the PDF! Easy!
        000

        THEM

        22 Pages, Full Colour

        Roman, a struggling but dedicated painter is trying to find his place in the world. He never quite fit in and feels that somehow he is different than most people. He believes that the Universe is in some way, out to get him, and� that chance, luck� and opportunity are passing him by. However, a new idea has come into the world which has his future in mind. Roman soon finds the world is a quite different place than he thought and that his destiny is much more in his own hands than it seems.

        03
        04

        Bryan Coyle nominated for Russ Manning Award

        Babble by Lee Robson and Bryan Coyle

        The Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer is awarded every year at the Eisner Awards, and has previously gone to such comics luminaries as Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Jeff Smith and Gene Ha. This year, Cookstown’s own Bryan Coyle is among the nominees for his graphic novel Babble, written by Lee Robson and published by Com.X. ICN has its fingers crossed for you, Bryan.