15447Call for MSc 2014, @Cinemagic at @Filmbase, #Music Video Scheme Thank You, How to be Happy Wins, Filmbase Summer Market, Training, News + lots more!

  • belfringe
    Apr 11, 2014

      Issue: 296   Date: 11th April 2014

      Filmbase are inviting applications for its September 2014 MSc Digital Feature Film Production course.

      Cinemagic bring Talent Lab to Filmbase. Details on some of the events can be found below.

      Thanks a million to everyone who has entered the Filmbase/Nikon Make a Music Video Scheme. We will announce who has been successful shortly.

      How to be Happy has been awarded Best International Narrative Feature at the 13th Annual Garden State Film Festival

      On Saturday 19th of AprilFilmbase will launch its Summer Market. If you would like to take part and have your own stall at the event, details on how to book can be found below.

      As always, we have some fantastic courses lined up in Color 1.5 Essentials, After Effects, Digital Filmmaking and Screenwriting. For dates and prices please scroll down to our training sections.

      This week our featured equipment item is our Edelkrone Slider Plus XL. For prices please see below.

      Check out Film Ireland for all the latest in Irish film, including On The Reel Interview Steven O'Riordan, director of No Limbs No Limits.

      Finally, don't forget to check out our Filmbase Blog!

      Have great weekend!

      All the best,

      Filmbase Crew.

      2014 MSc Digital Feature Film Production
      Poison Pen

      Call For Applications

      Filmbase are inviting applications for its September 2014 MSc Digital Feature Film Production course. The course, run in association with Staffordshire University is an industry-facing course aimed at preparing filmmakers for the reality of writing, developing, pitching, producing, shooting, editing, posting and distributing feature films in digital formats. The one year, full-time course is suitable for students looking for a practical experience in feature film production and requires students to collaborate on producing a feature film as part of the programme.

      Further information on the course can be found at www.filmmasters.ie, or by emailing  masters@...

      Students from last year's MSc course are celebrating winning Best International Feature Film at the Garden State Film Festival in New Jersey last weekend with their film How To Be Happy. The win at GSFF follows the film's selection as the Opening Film for the Chicago Irish Film Festival.

      Meanwhile students on this years programme are busy filming their two feature films, Light of Day and Poison Pen. Light of Day starring Jack Hickey (Deadbook), Lorna Larkin (North Circular Road), Aidan Lawlor (Get Up and Go) and Dermot Magennis (Saving the Titanic) wraps shooting this week while filming on Poison Pen starring Lochlann O'Mearain (The O'Briens) and Aoibhinn McGinnity (Love/Hate)  in a script from Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl) continues in Dublin for another two weeks before transferring to London for additional shooting. Both films are hoping to complete in time for summer festival release.

      Production updates from both films will be online shortly.

      Cinemagic Talent Lab at Filmbase

      Cinemagic at Filmbase

      Meet The Professionals Q&A with Director Ian Fitzgibbon, Director Steph Green and Director of Photography Seamus Deasy. (Filmbase)

      Monday 14th April: 10.00am-1.00pm

      Directing with Ben Kellet (Filmbase)

      Monday 14th April 2014: 2.00pm-5.00pm

      The Casting Director with Louise Kiely  (Filmbase)

      Wednesday 16th April 2014: 10.00am-1.00pm

      Presenting with Aisling O' Loughlin  (Filmbase)

      Wednesday 16th April 2014: 2.00pm-5.00pm

      More information can be found below:

      Music Video Entries

      Thank you for entering!

      Make a Music Video
      Make a Music Video

      Thanks a million to everyone who entered the Filmbase/Nikon Make a Music Video Scheme.

      We were delighted with the standard of entries from both the filmmakers and musicians. Filmbase is currently working its way through all the applications and honestly we're loving bopping away to the music and watching some strong showreels.

      About the Scheme

      Filmbase, in conjunction with Nikon, are introducing a new scheme that will allow you to do just that. Successful applicants will gain access to everything they need to produce, shoot and edit a music video, including equipment, insurance, access to an edit suite and support.

      We will be contacting everyone shortly and hopefully we'll have some great music videos in the making!

      Visit filmbase.ie/musicvideo for more information and details on how to apply.

      How to be Happy wins at GSFF

      "How to be Happy" wins at
      How to be Happy

      Garden State Film Festival

      How to be Happy has been awarded Best International Narrative Feature at the 13th Annual Garden State Film Festival (9-13 April ), New Jersey's premiere current independent film festival.

      How to Be Happy is directed by Michael Rob Costine, Mark Gaster and Brian O'Neill. The comedy tells the story of Cormac, a marriage guidance counsellor, played by Brian Gleeson, who starts sleeping with his clients.

      A private detective, played by Gemma-Leah Devereux, is hired to investigate his antics.

      The development of the script, written by award-winning writer/director, Conor Horgan (One Hundred Mornings), was a collaborative effort between Conor and the students of the Filmbase/Staffordshire University MSc Digital Feature Film Production Course, which prepares filmmakers for the reality of writing, developing, pitching, producing, shooting, editing, posting and distributing feature films in digital formats.

      Filmbase Summer Market

      Filmbase Summer Market

      On Saturday 19th of April

      Filmbase will launch their Summer Market.

      The craft and gifts fair will feature stands and stalls with arts, crafts, handmade wares, clothing, jewellery, prints and more.

      If you would like to apply for a stall we are currently accepting applications. Email fair@... for your application form or for more information on this exciting indoor event.

      If you are a local designer or artist this is a great opportunity to show and sell your work in a fantastic city centre location.

      Spaces are limited and will be sold on a first come first served basis so don't hesitate to get in touch!

      Filmbase Training

      Dates: TBC, 1 Day
      €120 Members / €150 Non-Members

      Starting with the basics of colour balancing and correction, students will move on to more advanced techniques including secondary grading, scene matching and more.

      Read on>

      After Effects 101 - Intro to After Effects CC
      3 Days: 23rd - 25th April
      €510 Members / €550 Non-Members

      Students will learn the key techniques for working in After Effects including animating text, colour correction, 3D objects and more.

      Read on>

      Contact Richie@... for more info regrading post-production courses.

      More information on all our other Post-Production courses can be found here>>

      Filmbase Training

      Digital Filmmaking

      (Make a Short Film)

      Dates: TBC 12 Weekends

      Autumn €995

      (Filmbase membership included) - Payment options available.

      This popular part-time course, aimed at beginners, guides students through the development of a short film from start to finish and culminates in the production of two shorts over a weekend.

      More info>

      Screenwriting - Lindsay Sedgwick

      15th April - 3rd June
      8 Tue evenings
      €260 Members / €295 Non-Members

      Interested in Screenwriting? Taught by experienced screenwriter Lindsay Sedgwick, this courses gives an excellent grounding in the basics.

      Contact  Tristan@... for info regarding production training.
      More information about all of our other production courses can be found here>>

      Filmbase Equipment
      Equipment Rental

      Edelkrone Slider Plus XL

      Rental Includes:

      - 3 Foot Slider
      - Manfrotto Fluid Head
      - Manfrotto Tripod

      Hire Rate:
      • Members: €50 per day / €150 per week
      • Non-Members: €70 per day / €210 per week

      Contact Barbara, Alan or Richie in the Equipment Department on equipment@... or phone 01 881 5101 or 01 679 6716.

      More information on equipment can be found HERE>

      Film Ireland
      Filmbase Supported

      Steven O'Riordan dropped into the studio this week to chat to Lynn Larkin for On The Reel in association with Film Ireland about his film 'No Limbs No Limits'.Check out the video...

      On the Reel's Lynn Larkin hits the red carpet in her blue guna and and gets in among the celebs at the Irish Film and Television Awards. Check out the video...

      Lorna Buttimer chats to John Michael McDonagh, writer/director of 'Calvary' and its star Brendan Gleeson ahead of the film's release in Irish cinemas.

      Don't miss out on your chance to win  Win The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on DVD - Competition closes on Monday

      This week's reviews