How to give IPv6 support to NFS on Linux

  • Ashutosh Maheshwari
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2004
      Hi,
      I am trying to mount NFS over IPv6 on Linux machine which intern needs
      RPC support for IPv6. I am using
      OS :Linux kernel 2.4.20:rh9.
      I got ti-rpc from
      ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kukuk/ti-rpc/ti-rpc-1.1.tar.bz2

      which is IPv6 compliant for Linux.
      and I have mount utility from
      util-linux-2.12pre.tar.gz
      which uses some system defined rpc libraries for IPv4. I want to port
      that application to IPv6. The rpc used by the mount code does not
      support IPv6 specific sockaddr_in6 structure. So, as ti-rpc is enabled
      for Ipv6, I want to use those rpc in my code. I am not able to find
      out what changes to be made so that whenever make file is run it
      should link to the ti-rpc and not the previous ones.

      So far, I changed the search path of rpcdir to the path where ti-rpc
      are located in the make file. The make file runs successfully but when
      I try to mount this application, it gives an error saying that
      [root@ipsec-host-251-178 mount]# ./mount -t nfs
      2002::172.31.251.174:/home/bin /mnt/nfs
      mount: RPC: Remote system error - Address family not supported by protocol

      I have doubt whether this will work or not and how do I link it to TI_RPC.
      or if there is any other way to make this work please let me know .

      If there is any patch available to sunrpc used in linux to make it
      ipv6 compliant.
      Is there any other mount package with NFS which is ipv6 enabled ?

      NetBSD-1.5 is said to be one but I have no idea about it as its
      makefiles are different ,
      how do I make it work in my system ?

      Any pointers are welcomed.

      Ashutosh