Pentagon to use new net protocol

  • Saisree Subramanian
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16 1:07 AM
      Hi,
      Latest adoption of IPv6 announced at the Pentagon.
      http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59244,00.html

      Rgds,
      Sai

      Pentagon to Use New Net Protocol
      Reuters 01:40 PM Jun. 13, 2003 PT
      WASHINGTON -- The Defense Department said on Friday it planned to link
      its high-tech weaponry, battlefield sensors and other communications
      systems to an upgraded Internet operating system within five years.

      John Stenbit, the Pentagon's chief information officer, said the current
      system, which the Defense Department helped develop decades ago, was too
      limited to meet the needs of today's technology-driven armed forces.

      It was not secure enough and was too prone to dropping information
      "packets" used in such things as video conferencing, he told reporters.
      Another shortcoming, he said, was the limited, telephone-like numbering
      system that underpins familiar domain names such as www.yahoo.com

      Stenbit said the Pentagon planned a five-year switchover to the new
      system, or protocol, because he expected a majority of cellphones,
      laptops and other devices that connect to the Internet to use the new
      approach by then.

      "My best guess is that it's going to happen commercially before 2008 or
      I wouldn't have chosen 2008," he told reporters. "If we don't start
      buying the stuff today, we're in trouble whenever it happens."

      The Internet's current operating system, IPv4, has been in use for
      almost 30 years by the Defense Department.

      The new standard, known as Internet Protocol Version 6, or IPv6, being
      developed by an independent standard-setting body, will help glue
      together the key components of the Defense Department's so-called Global
      Information Grid -- its sensors, weapons, aircraft, information systems
      and digitally linked forces.

      The evolution toward the new standard must be taken into account for all
      purchases starting Oct. 1, Stenbit, assistant secretary of defense for
      networks and information integration, told the armed services in a memo.

      ----
      Wipro Technologies
      26 Hosur Main Road, Bommanahalli,
      Bangalore - 560 068

      Ph: 91-80-5732296 x 3068
      Fax: 91-80-5732696

      whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

    • Gopi Krishna S Garge
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 16 1:41 AM
        All:

        The same information that Sai posted at the DoD web site -

        http://dod.mil/releases/2003/nr20030613-0097.html

        and the Briefing on New Defense Department Internet Protocol

        http://dod.mil/transcripts/2003/tr20030613-0274.html

        --Gopi