Re: [string-figures] Photos

  • Will Wirt
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2002
      Belinda,

      I'm stumped. As far as I can tell, any member should be able to see the photos. I'll keep working on it.

      Will

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 27, 2002
        I followed Will's instructions by clicking on the blue address line and choosing photos on the left and saw all the photos of the conference and the map of the sniper all displayed nicely. It certainly worked for me. I enjoy the correspondence and really like the quarterly magazine. Does anyone else have to keep repeating figures newly learned regularly or they go out of the mind. I find that some figures my fingers know and others I have to keep practicing.
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2002
          In a message dated 10/27/2002 7:49:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          e_tilling@... writes:

          > Does anyone else have to keep repeating figures newly learned regularly or
          > they go out of the mind. I find that some figures my fingers know and
          > others I have to keep practicing.

          I used to know about 40 figures - now I can probably do 5. <sigh> I haven't
          been practicing them. But if I go back to the books I can relearn them much
          faster the second (3rd, 4th etc.) time.

          Bonnie

        • Belinda Holbrook
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 27, 2002
            I went back and signed onto Yahoo Groups. I had forgotten my password,
            requested a new one and then made sure my Yahoo account was associated with
            the String Figure Group. Now all the items on the left are highlighted and I
            can see the photos. I'm not exactly sure what I did to make this happen, but
            it's working for me now!

            Belinda
          • Lois & Earl Stokes
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 27, 2002
              Aloha Will,

              My experience with the access to the list is that it considers us a non-member. No yahoo ID ! No password !
              No Record ! How do you suggest we proceed?
              Lois & Earl Stokes

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 27, 2002
                Aloha,

                We have to regularly practice figures both newly-learned and not-done-lately so as to bring the memory of the figures back into our body-memory. Some are definately easier to recall than others but we also experience not being able to recall a figure that yesterday was no problem at all. Practice is the answer and recall is enhanced by having someone call out the name of the figure and doing it as quickly as you can. This method was and still is in practice;
                noteably on Easter Island.
                Lois & Earl

              • Mandolajoe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 27, 2002
                  My experience has taught me that as long as the figure is known only to the
                  brain, it is not known at all. The memory should be in the hands and not in
                  the head. If I try to remember a figure I used to do years ago, I will have
                  little success until I just let my hands go and do what they remember.

                  Fear not, practice does make perfect and diligence is its own reward; soon
                  you will know many more figures and have little difficulty in doing and of
                  them.

                  Joe O

                • metzgejc@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 28, 2002
                    I find this ISFA exchange on memory of string figure to the hands quite
                    interesting.
                    I always carry my string and have a tendency to 'perform' impromptu.
                    But not only memory is involved here. The mind - hand connection needs
                    practice and exercise also. Something I do with children and adults alike is
                    to try the following dexterity/mind exercise;
                    Twiddle your thumbs in the usual way... then do this with your
                    fingers... not holding your hands as you do when you twiddle your thumbs but
                    out from the body and slightly apart.
                    Twiddle both fingers forwards for a few circles then backwards a few
                    circles. Now the exercise... twiddle one finger forward and at the same time
                    do the other finger backwards. It may help to make a circle say about 8".
                    This actually may cause a physical sensation in the brain. I liken this
                    to the right brain - left brain studies. I find children usually can adapt
                    this exercise quickly. And am often surprised to find now and then an adult
                    who can do this right away... never having attempted it before.
                    Once the motion has been mastered... reverse it in mid stride. There are
                    other variations from here.
                    Just thought I would throw this into the mix...

                  • Will Wirt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18, 2004
                      Our mailing list won't accept photos as message attachments but it's a snap to post pictures into the photo section.
                      There you can look at or add photos.
                      Will