Fw: String figure?

  • okteller@JUNO.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
      I am forwarding this message that was sent to me. Can anyone help this
      person?

      Dave Titus
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2002
        The first time I replied to the Group, was to show Cheryl the Moon
        over the Mountain from Lothar :
        http://www.aboinudi.de/entstehung/gruppe/kerstin.html

        It surely not was the right one, but it could maybe help... I didn't
        it right, and I did respond personnaly to Cheryl...

        The figure is in German, so I did translate it for her. With Lothar's
        permission, I share it with you...

        Moon over the Mountain (Japan)
        - Position 1, but on 1 and 2 (not 1 and 5 as usual).
        - 1 passes over 2f, continues in a circular motion behind then under
        2f, under 1n, and returns to position having made a loop on each 1
        and on each 2.
        - 1 picks up 2n
        - 2 picks up 1f
        - R2 picks up the single transverse string that passes between and
        ahead L1 and L2. Extend.
        - Passing through the R2 loop from above, L2 picks up the single
        transverse string that passes between and ahead R1 and R2. Extend.
        => Two strings are now crossing in the center of the figure.
        - 2 goes down, toward you, over the diagonal string that joins 2,
        keeps 2 against the palms, so that all 2f strings slide out from 2. 2
        goes back upwards to position, it has now only one loop.
        => You have now a 1f TV string.
        - 2 picks up 1f (TV).
        - Let hang the figure on RH, remove completely LH from all his
        loops.
        - Join LH to RH, so that L1 goes proximally into R1 loop (the tip of
        L1 is in contact with the tip of R1) and L2 goes proximally into R2
        loop (the tip of L2 is in contact with the tip of R2), and extend
        down. Replace your hands in normal position.
        => You have another crossing, in the middle of the figure.
        - 2 goes down again, in the same manner, toward you, over the
        diagonal that joins 2, keeps 2 against the palms, making the other
        strings slide out from 2. 2 goes back upwards to position, it has now
        only one loop.
        => 2 loops are making a rhomb in the middle of the figure (if not,
        move your hands slightly outwards or inwards until you see it).
        - 5 goes from below in the rhomb.
        => You get a sort of big rectangle between 2 and 5.
        - Throw all 1 loops in that rectangle (releasing 1, of course) and
        extend slowly...

        Jean-Christophe Démarais
        Paris, France.
      • e_tilling@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2002
          Loved this figure. Hints for others like me whose strings twist when they read these the first time. Notes added below instructions below.
          - Position 1, but on 1 and 2 (not 1 and 5 as usual).
          - 1 passes over 2f, continues in a circular motion behind then under
          2f, under 1n, and returns to position having made a loop on each 1
          and on each 2.
          - 1 picks up 2n
          - 2 picks up 1f
          - R2 picks up the single transverse string that passes between and
          ahead L1 and L2. Extend. - Passing through the R2 loop from above, L2 picks up the single
          transverse string that passes between and ahead R1 and R2. Extend. Like opening A on index and thumb.

          => Two strings are now crossing in the center of the figure.
          Note here: I think the next move is like ducking the index loop under the double far index transverse bar. This way I don't get a twist in it.

          - 2 goes down, toward you, over the diagonal string that joins 2,
          keeps 2 against the palms, so that all 2f strings slide out from 2. 2
          goes back upwards to position, it has now only one loop.
          => You have now a 1f TV string.
          The pick up below is from below.
          - 2 picks up 1f (TV).
          - Let hang the figure on RH, remove completely LH from all his
          loops.

          This join below is palm to palm. I did it from above outside at first. I know it says proximally but people make mistakes.
          - Join LH to RH, so that L1 goes proximally into R1 loop (the tip of
          L1 is in contact with the tip of R1) and L2 goes proximally into R2
          loop (the tip of L2 is in contact with the tip of R2), and extend
          down. Replace your hands in normal position.

          As before duck the index loop under the far index transverse bars.

          => You have another crossing, in the middle of the figure.
          - 2 goes down again, in the same manner, toward you, over the
          diagonal that joins 2, keeps 2 against the palms, making the other
          strings slide out from 2. 2 goes back upwards to position, it has now
          only one loop.
          => 2 loops are making a rhomb in the middle of the figure (if not,
          move your hands slightly outwards or inwards until you see it).

          I use my mourth to widen the rhombus so I can make sure I get the crossing strings that do not put a loop around the index finger which is very easy to do. It opens up the Rhombus described below for 5 to go into easily.
          - 5 goes from below in the rhomb.
          => You get a sort of big rectangle between 2 and 5.
          - Throw all 1 loops in that rectangle (releasing 1, of course) and
          extend slowly...
          I use the thumb to help extend it and get the transverse string up high enough. Very pleasing. Thanks Jean-Christophe. PS. I release by opening the moon out.
          Jean-Christophe Démarais
          Paris, France.

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: string-figures@onelist.com