Teaching string games

  • LeeMGard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2001
      Hi, my name is Lee, and I am a school teacher.
      As I was reading Belinda's post, I thought I would add my 2 cents worth...
      Right now I'm teaching 5th grade. I have taught string figures to my classes
      for years 2nd thru 8th grades. One of the rules I have incorporated in my
      teaching is that when they learn a new figure it is our tradition to teach
      that same figure to at least 5 other people. It reinforces their learning as
      well as spreads the new figure quickly throughout the school. My class also
      organizes lessons to teach other classes about string figures. They also do
      the scheduling, etc. It works really well. I have been lurking here for a
      while, and hope to join IFSA soon.
      Thanks for all the neat stuff I have been reading! Lee Gardner

    • Klon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2001
        In a message dated 04/18/2001 5:55:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        LeeMGard@... writes:

        > One of the rules I have incorporated in my
        > teaching is that when they learn a new figure it is our tradition to teach
        > that same figure to at least 5 other people

        What a wonderful "rule." And it's usually what happens anyway. : ) When we
        learn new figures we love to show them off, and naturally there are those we
        show them to who want to learn them so . . .