Re: [string-figures] "Cat's Cradle of Kindness"

  • isfa
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
      The cover of Ms. Okazaki's book "Cat's Cradle" can be viewed at Amazon.com. The figure she appears to be making is the standard "Jacob's Ladder/Osage Four Diamonds/ISFA Logo", which is indeed called "Four Eyes" in Hawaii (Dickey 1928). Dickey describes 3 methods for making the figure in his monograph, the second of which is identical to that described by Jayne (pp. 24-27).

      Mark Sherman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi Lois and Earl,

        Their site isn't very searchable. I remember just having sent them a mail.

        A link to an online edition of Dickey's Hawaiian book:
        http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=philamer;idno=AGZ2530.0001.054
        which you can browse only page by page.

        Best wishes,

        Stephan

        --- In string-figures@yahoogroups.com, Earl Stokes <stokes@...> wrote:

        > As of today a search of Periodicals Service Company index does not find either book.
        > Aloha from the Big Island and
        > Lois & Earl
        > The Ancient Art of Hawaiian String Figures
        > The Shaman Game of String Figures
        > Divination with String
        > My Neverending List of String Figure Books and DVDs
        > The Aloha Bracelet of Blessings
        > Dreamweavers String Figure Theater
        > I Restore Harmony
        > A Healers Whisper
        > My Life as a Virtual Shaman
        > A Healing Bracelet
        > Don't Wash Your Hands...Out of Fear
        > Whispers of Aloha on Twitter
        > Celebrating Christmas in Hawaii
        > Gifts of Aloha for Christmas
        >

        > On Jan 2, 2010, at 11:59 PM, stclaa wrote:
        >

        > > In november 2008 Dickey's book on Hawaiian string figures (along with the one on Fiji string figures in the same series from the museum) was still (new, a Kraus reprint) available from Periodicals Service Company.
        > >
        > > Their email-address:
        > > psc@...
        > >
        > > Best wishes,
        > >
        > > Stephan

      • Jamis Buck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
          Wonderful! Thanks for that link, Stephan.

          - Jamis

          On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:23 AM, stclaa <stclaa@...> wrote:

          > Hi Lois and Earl,
          >
          > Their site isn't very searchable. I remember just having sent them a mail.
          >
          > A link to an online edition of Dickey's Hawaiian book:
          >
          > http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=philamer;idno=AGZ2530.0001.054
          > which you can browse only page by page.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Stephan
          >
          > --- In string-figures@yahoogroups.com <string-figures%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Earl Stokes <stokes@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > As of today a search of Periodicals Service Company index does not find
          > either book.
          > > Aloha from the Big Island and
          > > Lois & Earl
          > > The Ancient Art of Hawaiian String Figures
          > > The Shaman Game of String Figures
          > > Divination with String
          > > My Neverending List of String Figure Books and DVDs
          > > The Aloha Bracelet of Blessings
          > > Dreamweavers String Figure Theater
          > > I Restore Harmony
          > > A Healers Whisper
          > > My Life as a Virtual Shaman
          > > A Healing Bracelet
          > > Don't Wash Your Hands...Out of Fear
          > > Whispers of Aloha on Twitter
          > > Celebrating Christmas in Hawaii
          > > Gifts of Aloha for Christmas
          > >

          > > On Jan 2, 2010, at 11:59 PM, stclaa wrote:
          > >

          > > > In november 2008 Dickey's book on Hawaiian string figures (along with
          > the one on Fiji string figures in the same series from the museum) was still
          > (new, a Kraus reprint) available from Periodicals Service Company.
          > > >
          > > > Their email-address:
          > > > psc@...
          > > >
          > > > Best wishes,
          > > >
          > > > Stephan

        • Earl Stokes
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
            Email to Periodicals Service Co produced this reply:

            PERIODICALS SERVICE COMPANY
            *11 Main Street
            *Germantown, NY 12526
            *Tel (518) 537-4700
            Fax (518) 537-5899
            *E-mail psc@...
            *www.periodicals.com*

            Jan. 4, 2010

            Dear Lois & Earl:

            We are pleased to make the following offer:

            Bernice Bishop Museum. Bulletin.
            No. 54. String Figures from Hawaii. Reprint.**
            Price: $35.00 + $20.00 Shipping
            Total Due: $55.00

            **Special order reprint. No cancellation. No Returns. No Refunds. No Exchanges.

            Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

            We require prepayment in US$ drawn on a US bank by check or money order, or credit card (VISA, Master Card, American Express). If paying by credit card, please include:
            1. the name of the person as it appears on the credit card
            2. your company name if a company credit card
            3. credit card number
            4. expiration date
            5. security code (a 3 or 4 digit #)
            6. your address where credit card statement is mailed

            When sending payment please include:
            1. a copy of this message
            2. your complete ship to address (STREET ADDRESS, NOT A PO BOX) and contact name
            3. TELEPHONE NUMBER for the ship to address
            4. For customers in South America only: your CPF/CNPJ number is required

            Best regards,

            Alice M. Schools