Two new videos

  • fingerstrings68
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
      I have posted two videos on YouTube. In 'String Figure Story'
      I tell a story, Three Brothers Find Treasure, while stringing several figures together, including the Talking Mouth, the Running Caribou, the Growing Sunflower, the Rabbit and the Cat's Face. View it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLh3ZrFRhm0
      In 'String Figure Mystery' I explore the string figure, 'Little Fishes', that appears in all three southern continents. Was it shared or was it invented at each place independently? View it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq9vngF9ocA
    • Jamis Buck
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
        Excellent videos! Many of the figures you use in the "Three Brothers"
        story are new to me; are those published anywhere online? That entire
        story was really well developed, too. Great job, and thanks for
        posting those videos!

        - Jamis

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
          Thanks Jamis,
          Some of the figures are stages of better known figures. The "Sword' and the 'Shield' are steps of 'A Caroline Islands Catch' published in Jayne's book. 'Cat's Face' and 'Boat with Two Masts' are stages of 'Two Fish Swimming Away' (but I've forgotten where I learned that one). The 'Camel' is the 'Running Caribou' which was published in the String Figure Magazine (vol 7 no 3). For the 'Growing Sunflower' (a continuation of the 'Well') and the flashy way of arriving at the 'Inuit Talking Mouth' you'll have to go to my book Finger Strings. The story itself is printed in the chapter Stringing Stories Together of that book and instructions for all the figures are included in its various chapters. I don't know how many of these figures are available on line.
          Michael

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
            Thanks Michael! I just placed an order for Finger Strings. I think I'm
            more excited than my kids are for it to arrive. (And my kids are
            definitely excited!)

            - Jamis

            On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM,
            fingerstrings68<fingerstrings68@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Jamis,
            > Some of the figures are stages of better known figures. The "Sword' and the
            > 'Shield' are steps of 'A Caroline Islands Catch' published in Jayne's book.
            > 'Cat's Face' and 'Boat with Two Masts' are stages of 'Two Fish Swimming
            > Away' (but I've forgotten where I learned that one). The 'Camel' is the
            > 'Running Caribou' which was published in the String Figure Magazine (vol 7
            > no 3). For the 'Growing Sunflower' (a continuation of the 'Well') and the
            > flashy way of arriving at the 'Inuit Talking Mouth' you'll have to go to my
            > book Finger Strings. The story itself is printed in the chapter Stringing
            > Stories Together of that book and instructions for all the figures are
            > included in its various chapters. I don't know how many of these figures are
            > available on line.
            > Michael
            >
            > --- In string-figures@yahoogroups.com, Jamis Buck <jamis@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Excellent videos! Many of the figures you use in the "Three Brothers"
            >> story are new to me; are those published anywhere online? That entire
            >> story was really well developed, too. Great job, and thanks for
            >> posting those videos!
            >>
            >> - Jamis
            >>
            >> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM,
            >> fingerstrings68<fingerstrings68@...> wrote:
            >> >

            >> > I have posted two videos on YouTube. In 'String Figure Story'
            >> > I tell a story, Three Brothers Find Treasure, while stringing several
            >> > figures together, including the Talking Mouth, the Running Caribou, the
            >> > Growing Sunflower, the Rabbit and the Cat's Face. View it on
            >> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLh3ZrFRhm0
            >> > In 'String Figure Mystery' I explore the string figure, 'Little Fishes',
            >> > that appears in all three southern continents. Was it shared or was it
            >> > invented at each place independently? View it on
            >> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq9vngF9ocA

          • Myriam Namolaru
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
              Hello Michael,

              Excellent idea!

              I love these videos. So different!

              But I had two problems:

              In the video "String figure story", after you show us the rabbit, I didn't see well the figures
              because of the darkness.

              And in both videos I turned the volume up, but it was difficult to listen to you.

              But perhaps these problems are only on my computer.
              Jamis didn't say nothing about.

              Myriam

            • Myriam Namolaru
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
                Hi Jamis and all,

                You can find A Caroline Islands Catch
                in English
                http://membres.lycos.fr/stringgames/handinthesack.html
                From the step 7.

                in French
                http://membres.lycos.fr/stringgames/maindanssac.html
                From the step G.

                The figure "'Two Fish Swimming Away" is p176 in the Jayne's book under the name
                "No Name".

                In English
                 http://membres.lycos.fr/stringgames//blosbirdenglish.html

                In French
                http://membres.lycos.fr/stringgames/blosbird.html

                You'll learn not only one figure but two, because "Two Fish Swimming Away"
                have almost the same steps as "The house of the Blos-Bird", you need only
                to begin with Opening A with the whole
                hands.

                I did the videos of the Rabbit

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAYXWgzooA

                The Pig

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4hYA63knU

                the Porcupine (my younger son called it Polecat, guess what...)

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNcL19imlA

                Enjoy string figures,

                Myriam