      From: gnsitgh@... [streetlights-l] <streetlights-l@yahoogroups.com>
      To: streetlights-l <streetlights-l@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Aug 15, 2014 2:37 am
      Subject: [streetlights-l] Cree and the Lollypops

      Gang--slightly OT, but possibly of interest.
      I've touched on this before--I'm always pushing our Condo board to improve the lighting around here.  But, our reserves won't fund a replacement project for another 3 years.  So meanwhile, we repair, repair, repair ...
      The electrician was here yesterday, replacing a couple of HPS bulbs (and a photo-cell).  He also asked why one of the "Lollypop" lights nearby was so dim.  Our Lollypops are essentially 8 foot poles, with a plastic round ball on top.  I had never opened one--so when we did, we found that the illumination came from a barely functioning 22W Circline tube, topped by an Edison based socket, which had a 9W G23 fluorescent tube in a screw-in adaptor that wasn't working at all.
      "Oh, I've got a 100W (equivalent) Cree LED Daylight Bulb (1600 Lumens) you can have", said the electrician.&n bsp; "I just love these; I use them everywhere".  So I fetched a new Circline tube (we have a whole Storeroom full of them!), we replaced the two illumination sources--and I waited for nightfall.
      The results were a glaring mess; light thrown everywhere.  So, today,  I thought I'd dial it down a notch, and picked up a 60W equivalent Cree LED Daylight Bulb (800 Lumens), installed it in another fixture (that also had a barely working 22W Circline/dead G23 9W combination).  With the new Circline, and the lower lumen LED, the Lolllypop still looks like it would do just fine in a prison yard.  Light thrown all over--I'm sure some of the condo residents will be complaining tomorrow, and probably a couple of the surrounding neighbors, too.
      The 800 Lumen Cree uses 9 Watts, so coupled with the 22W Circline, I'm using the same wattage as before with the 9W G23 tube.  But the optics are so bad in the old fixtures, I can't even make the effort to use more efficient lighting in them.  Maybe this will bolster my case for some new "dark sky" fixtures.
      Or, next stop, 40W equivalent Cree!
      Glen

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic