Sacred Ground! Spammers please keep to yourselves!

  • yinyangdragonz
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
      Hello World!

      Someone is using this site as spamming ground, now that it seems less... monitored, and I know that very likely my pathetic attempts to recall what used to be a place of discussion are probably in vain. I must make the attempt though, it wouldn't feel right not to, this was a very special site which houses some of the greatest HP fan fiction I've found thus far (or at the very least read), and I've been at it avidly since 2002. This site is sacred ground to me, if the story has indeed been abandoned for whatever reason, perhaps is there anyway we can keep the site clear of the wanton advertising? It seems like desecration to me... I can only assume there are others out there who feel the same.

      Jono, if you read this, I hope you are well, and the life is being kind to you. If there is any chance you know someone you trust on the site, could you give them the power to stop this? Administrative or otherwise? I get the feeling someone here might be willing to put in a little time to clean up around here every once in a while, heck I would! If only to keep the site housing one of my favorite fictions of all time clean, and free for conversation. Your work is awesome.
      Someday I hope to know the end, be it fully written, or in note form, or rough draft, I wouldn't care! Your characters... I care for their outcome... isn't it funny? I know it to be fiction, but they are people to me, and I desperately want closure to what they deal with, one way or another. If you have stopped, would you mind putting up any notes you've got? If you get the chance? Of course I dearly hope this is just hiatus, and I'll come back in two months and find activity here once more, a post of yours saying you are well, and that life was simply too busy for a while! But in the event it is not... My best to you, it's been a wonderful story, and I hope there's an end!

      My best to everyone who was or is part of this community, brought together by an wonderful author and the stories thence from! (I'm pretty sure "thence" is not a word.)

      Cheers,
    • Melissa
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2012
        Goodness, I see what you mean. I have not been here in some time, but even so--!
        I really would prefer this site remain with the stories I will reread, again, again, every couple years or so...

        Hope is very difficult to relinquish, and why should we do so? Even if there is *sigh* no new material, /ever/, I would be happy to keep this as it is--well, was?

        No, spammers and all, I'll remember and come back *sometime* probably as long as this community exists (and chapter files are there).

        (Sorry, Invisible Jono, you aren't rid of expectations of a sort even yet. Mwahahaha.)

        V, thank you for an actual non-spam post, so I know that the site isn't, well, always unvisited.

        ~
      • Dustin
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7, 2012
          I just reported the spammer to yahoo, but I don't know how much good that'll do. Ah, I remember when the updates came every couple of months, and the place was full of conversation...
        • yinyangdragonz
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
            YES! A live, SANE non-spammer! We have company! :D I am SO glad that you replied, I was worried I was one of the few left who still checks this site. I'm thinking I should archive the stories, as I'm hoping others already have, just to ensure that the wonderful writing behind them stays intact somewhere (in the tragic event that this group is cancelled for whatever reason). And so I can continue re-reading it!
            Also, when was the last known contact from Jono? For all it was sporadic, he DID update every few months when I was in high school... so I'm wondering when did the updating/contacting process stop?

            Thanks again for the response, I don't write on this stuff much (message boards etc.), so it especially felt like I was throwing my last piece of bread into the dark, just to see if it made a sound when it hit anything. I'm glad I did though! :)

            Best wishes, hope life's treating you well, and here's to hoping Jono re-starts the updates!

            Cheers,
          • Aaran
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
              I sadly haven't heard anything from him. For a while I was hosting some of
              his images for the site but...nothing.

              Aaran

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                THANK YOU!!! I don't even know how I'd go about reporting such I thing.
                (Plus I'd probably worry about them closing down the account or some such thing.) And yes, I too recall with fondness the days gone by of waiting for the next adventure or chronicle in Harry's existence through the worlds. I miss it.
                Thanks again, and have a great day!

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                  Do you mean that beautiful bird piece? Or the collection of photos perhaps? It was developing nicely, both the site and the story...
                  Ah well, thanks anyhow!

                  I'm kind of hoping someone around here has either up-to-date contact information for him, or has heard from him, but I don't know how many people in his life know about this, and/or read it or visit the site...
                  (If anyone reading this has any info like that, let him know we miss him and would like to know how he's doing?)

                  Thanks for commenting though! It's so great just to know that others are still one this site, and give a damn. And thank you for your contributions to the site (pictures), I know I appreciated them when they were here!

                  Have a wonderful day!

                  Cheers,

                  --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Aaran" <ciroth@...> wrote:

                  > I sadly haven't heard anything from him. For a while I was hosting some of
                  > his images for the site but...nothing.
                  >

                  > Aaran

                • T.j.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                    I second that notion of missing the next updates for this amazing writing, I'm also with you about archiving or saving these stories somewhere just in-case this site is taken down for whatever reason. I also miss the days of when there were actual conversations and debates about where Jono was taking this story... I'm still wondering how the whole Riddle headmaster thing is going to play out... I only hope that Jono will at least give some type of closure for this story it's decided that this trilogy will permanently be discontinued :'(

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                      At this point, we can only guess at the direction Juno was going to take
                      this. No one else could finish it like he would.

                      I second that notion of missing the next updates for this amazing writing,
                      I'm also with you about archiving or saving these stories somewhere just
                      in-case this site is taken down for whatever reason. I also miss the days of
                      when there were actual conversations and debates about where Jono was taking
                      this story... I'm still wondering how the whole Riddle headmaster thing is
                      going to play out... I only hope that Jono will at least give some type of
                      closure for this story it's decided that this trilogy will permanently be
                      discontinued :'(

                      --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "yinyangdragonz"

                      <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dustin" <playfulwolf91@>

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                        true, we can only guess... i honestly wonder how many people re-read the whole thing as it is right now. From Unholy Land through Promise land... I've re-read Unholy but Haven't really re-read Promise

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                          I re-read both every 6 months...

                          <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Aaran" <ciroth@...> wrote:

                          > At this point, we can only guess at the direction Juno was going to take
                          > this. No one else could finish it like he would.
                          >

                          > From: stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Subject: [stranger_trilogy] Re: Sacred Ground! Spammers please keep to
                          > yourselves!
                          >

                          > I second that notion of missing the next updates for this amazing writing,
                          > I'm also with you about archiving or saving these stories somewhere just
                          > in-case this site is taken down for whatever reason. I also miss the days
                          of
                          > when there were actual conversations and debates about where Jono was
                          taking
                          > this story... I'm still wondering how the whole Riddle headmaster thing is
                          > going to play out... I only hope that Jono will at least give some type of
                          > closure for this story it's decided that this trilogy will permanently be
                          > discontinued :'(
                          >
                          > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "yinyangdragonz"
                          > <yinyangdragonz@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > THANK YOU!!! I don't even know how I'd go about reporting such I thing.
                          > > (Plus I'd probably worry about them closing down the account or some
                          such
                          > thing.) And yes, I too recall with fondness the days gone by of waiting
                          for
                          > the next adventure or chronicle in Harry's existence through the worlds. I
                          > miss it.
                          > > Thanks again, and have a great day!
                          > >
                          > > Cheers,
                          > >
                          > > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dustin" <playfulwolf91@>
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I just reported the spammer to yahoo, but I don't know how much good
                          > that'll do. Ah, I remember when the updates came every couple of months,
                          and
                          > the place was full of conversation...

                        • Thomas Pulk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 19, 2012
                            Its been a while since I've reread the stories I feel that if I did then I would find myself once again filled with the disappointment of not knowing how it all will end. I will say that I think in addition to Jono moving on with real life that one of the last contacts I remember was one where someone randomly figured out who he was on a commuter train and complemented his story. I think that "wierded" him out. Ever since that post there was I think only one more chapter posted that had been mostly complete. I think in conjunction with other things going on in his life that it made him reluctant to continue and helped push his decision to abandon the story. Of course since I have no idea who he really is we as lurkers can only speculate.

                            gallandro

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 20, 2012
                              wow really? someone figured out who he was?? I don't remember reading that on here, but yea it would be understandable if he got weirded out about that, but if he was going to abandon the story, at least receiving some kind of word that he officially abandoned this story
                              but yeah, I understand about being reluctant to re-read, but Unholy land I can't help but re-read

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 23, 2012
                                Yeah if you go to message # 3178,# 3873, and # 4600 he comments on how odd it was to meet readers. In review though it seems that mostly it was him getting a job and his continued life that stopped the stories. Either way he stopped writing for a myriad of reasons and we are his abandoned cultists trying to find a new purpose. XP

                                gallandro

                                --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "T.j." <deprimidachick09@...> wrote:

                                > wow really? someone figured out who he was?? I don't remember reading that on here, but yea it would be understandable if he got weirded out about that, but if he was going to abandon the story, at least receiving some kind of word that he officially abandoned this story
                                > but yeah, I understand about being reluctant to re-read, but Unholy land I can't help but re-read
                                >
                                > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Pulk" <gallandro_83@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Its been a while since I've reread the stories I feel that if I did then I would find myself once again filled with the disappointment of not knowing how it all will end. I will say that I think in addition to Jono moving on with real life that one of the last contacts I remember was one where someone randomly figured out who he was on a commuter train and complemented his story. I think that "wierded" him out. Ever since that post there was I think only one more chapter posted that had been mostly complete. I think in conjunction with other things going on in his life that it made him reluctant to continue and helped push his decision to abandon the story. Of course since I have no idea who he really is we as lurkers can only speculate.
                                > >

                                > > gallandro
                                > >
                                > > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Aaran" <ciroth@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I re-read both every 6 months...

                              • J.Brenninkmeijer
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 23, 2012
                                  What are you talking about? I found Dream Theatre. :D

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 9, 2012
                                    Hey All!

                                    Wow, I haven't checked the site in a bit, and I come back to find there are actually quite a few of us still here! I hope all's well with everyone? (Aside from the fact that we are mourning the apparent loss of the rest of one of the best fanfictional works out there... please prove me wrong?)

                                    So the conclusion seems to be that we have lost our beloved Author's work, or the rest of it anyway, to the real world? I am truly sorry to hear that, and hope it's still a premature guess...

                                    And well, I'm thinking about finding a site to put what's left of this on, like asking Jeconais if he thinks Fanficauthors.net could keep a copy of the archives. (Another site I check for good, quality work regularly, they have several authors, and are growing carefully.) Anyone have other suggestions for sites which host archives? I am of course holding copies (probably in triplicate somewhere in the back-ups) of this in the PDF format he had up, so if for any reason it goes down, I don't check often anymore, but email me, or leave a message here (better) and I'll pass a copy along.

                                    Best to all of you!

                                    Cheers,

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 9, 2012
                                      I really do miss our beloved Author and really think that he could of gotten
                                      paid to write the two we've got. *sigh* We are like lost cultists with this
                                      fic.

                                      Aaran

[...]

                                      <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "J.Brenninkmeijer"

                                      <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "T.j." <deprimidachick09@>

                                      <mailto:stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Thomas Pulk" <gallandro_83@>