It's Close...

  • rustymotion
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2010
      This is a fairly long gap between chapters, obviously. However is it the longest out there (for a GOOD story) im not certain. ElizaDiawna Had 2 years between her works, and Jeconais has had a few gaps also but has always continued.

      Im wondering:

      A. Have new people been accepted to the group?
      (Name your date of joining for reference purposes)

      B. Has anyone seen any fics with authors proclaiming to be Jono? Perhaps he lost his password and or email. It happens. not often, but it does.

      C. Has anyone started a continuation? or planned one out? Preferably writers with some experience, and well mapped out plans.

      I have started college, finished college - and began grad school since this story (first part) had its first post. (summer of 04 i believe?) While i always am looking back to it, i am quite sad that it is unfinished. I've well moved on from the main ships - Gryffindortower anyone? Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Cho, Harry/OC, and Harry/Tonks (oddly popular).. I was so glad to read this at the time, it brought me out of the whole shipping process. Since this, i have read numerous others - harry/fleur harry/gabrielle harry/pansy (whoa), harry/hannah, harry/numerous other characters, that where left undeveloped. So in addition to my three above, ill leave one more question with :

      D. Name the best fics from your favourite ships to share with others.
      be it Harry/Fleur, H/Daphne, H/Pansy, H/Gabrielle, H/Hannah, H/Susan, H/Tracy, ETC... as we seem to be doing nothing but sitting waiting wishing; hopefully someone will have something the rest of us haven't read!

      Cheers, and heres to hopes its continued at some point.

      Rusty.
    • stonecoldfanfic
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
        I don't mind several Harry/Female ships, so long as it isn't Harry/Ginny. That ship I cannot bear.

        My favorites are H/Hr, H/Tonks, H/Luna.

        --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "rustymotion" <rustymotion@...> wrote:

        > This is a fairly long gap between chapters, obviously. However is it the longest out there (for a GOOD story) im not certain. ElizaDiawna Had 2 years between her works, and Jeconais has had a few gaps also but has always continued.
        >

        > Im wondering:
        >
        > A. Have new people been accepted to the group?
        > (Name your date of joining for reference purposes)
        >
        > B. Has anyone seen any fics with authors proclaiming to be Jono? Perhaps he lost his password and or email. It happens. not often, but it does.
        >
        > C. Has anyone started a continuation? or planned one out? Preferably writers with some experience, and well mapped out plans.
        >
        > I have started college, finished college - and began grad school since this story (first part) had its first post. (summer of 04 i believe?) While i always am looking back to it, i am quite sad that it is unfinished. I've well moved on from the main ships - Gryffindortower anyone? Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Cho, Harry/OC, and Harry/Tonks (oddly popular).. I was so glad to read this at the time, it brought me out of the whole shipping process. Since this, i have read numerous others - harry/fleur harry/gabrielle harry/pansy (whoa), harry/hannah, harry/numerous other characters, that where left undeveloped. So in addition to my three above, ill leave one more question with :
        >
        > D. Name the best fics from your favourite ships to share with others.
        > be it Harry/Fleur, H/Daphne, H/Pansy, H/Gabrielle, H/Hannah, H/Susan, H/Tracy, ETC... as we seem to be doing nothing but sitting waiting wishing; hopefully someone will have something the rest of us haven't read!
        >
        > Cheers, and heres to hopes its continued at some point.
        >
        > Rusty.

      • T.j.
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 25, 2010
          Always love the HHr pairings its the best one and i completely agree with you about the harry ginny pairing, can't stand it, makes me cringe every time i re read book 6 and now when i watch hp 6 :[ should have been Harry and Hermione

          Well, as far as Fics to suggest, I don't know if anyone has already put out the story,

          A World Without Me by Eternal Cosmos, it's a completed story on fanfiction.net here's the summary:
          Harry won the war but at a terrible price. Fawkes gives him another chance in a new world where he died as an infant and where Voldemort still lurks in the shadows... but not for long, because when one exists, the other can not survive.

          Another Story

          An Aunt's Love By Emma Lipardi on Fanfiction.net (It's still uncompleted, but this she still updates this story when she has time there are quite a bit of chapters to read and I thought this story had an interesting concept, read and see what I mean :] )

          --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "stonecoldfanfic" <jyd76@...> wrote:

          > I don't mind several Harry/Female ships, so long as it isn't Harry/Ginny. That ship I cannot bear.
          >
          > My favorites are H/Hr, H/Tonks, H/Luna.
          >
          > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "rustymotion" <rustymotion@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is a fairly long gap between chapters, obviously. However is it the longest out there (for a GOOD story) im not certain. ElizaDiawna Had 2 years between her works, and Jeconais has had a few gaps also but has always continued.
          > >

          > > Im wondering:
          > >
          > > A. Have new people been accepted to the group?
          > > (Name your date of joining for reference purposes)
          > >
          > > B. Has anyone seen any fics with authors proclaiming to be Jono? Perhaps he lost his password and or email. It happens. not often, but it does.
          > >
          > > C. Has anyone started a continuation? or planned one out? Preferably writers with some experience, and well mapped out plans.
          > >
          > > I have started college, finished college - and began grad school since this story (first part) had its first post. (summer of 04 i believe?) While i always am looking back to it, i am quite sad that it is unfinished. I've well moved on from the main ships - Gryffindortower anyone? Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Cho, Harry/OC, and Harry/Tonks (oddly popular).. I was so glad to read this at the time, it brought me out of the whole shipping process. Since this, i have read numerous others - harry/fleur harry/gabrielle harry/pansy (whoa), harry/hannah, harry/numerous other characters, that where left undeveloped. So in addition to my three above, ill leave one more question with :
          > >
          > > D. Name the best fics from your favourite ships to share with others.
          > > be it Harry/Fleur, H/Daphne, H/Pansy, H/Gabrielle, H/Hannah, H/Susan, H/Tracy, ETC... as we seem to be doing nothing but sitting waiting wishing; hopefully someone will have something the rest of us haven't read!
          > >
          > > Cheers, and heres to hopes its continued at some point.
          > >
          > > Rusty.

        • westtexasphantom
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 26, 2010
            You H/Hr shippers amaze and amuse me! There is simply no way Harry would consider Hermione a love interest.

            Harry grew up in a home with an obsessive, perfectionist control freak (Petunia.) Hermione has too many traits similar to Petunia's. The friendship between the two exists because Harry appreciates Hermione's genuine concern about his well-being. His deep-seated desire for love and acceptance allows him to overlook her more obsessive traits.

            Ginny's personality as shown in canon compliments Harry's. She's rebellious against those who try to exert excessive control of her actions, not averse to breaking rules when necessary (or just for the fun of it), strong-willed in standing for what is right, and she loves Harry.

            Ginny comes from a large and loving family; something Harry dearly desires. Subconsciously, Harry fears he would be a parent like Vernon and Petunia. He feels Ginny would offset his "bad parent" tendencies.

            Having said that, I've read H/Hr stories that were very good. In those stories, the author significantly changes Hermione's personality to something that more nearly reflects the Ginny of canon!

            Those who cling to the fantasy of a H/Hr pairing obviously have little experience dealing with dysfunctional families. But then, that's has been one of my primary complaints about Rowling's Harry Potter world. There is no way a child like Harry could come from his early childhood environment with the strengths that Harry shows.

            A decade of abuse such as Harry suffered during his formative years would leave either a broken child unable to cope with the inevitable setbacks of real life or a new Dark Lord worse than Moldieshorts.
            --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "T.j." <deprimidachick09@...> wrote:

            > Always love the HHr pairings its the best one and i completely agree with you about the harry ginny pairing, can't stand it, makes me cringe every time i re read book 6 and now when i watch hp 6 :[ should have been Harry and Hermione

            [snipped]
          • Shreyas Vishvanathan
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 26, 2010
              i agree with you on the HHR pairing...
              but i also feel that H/G pairing is also doomed to fail...
              if their interaction had started in book 3 or atleast book 4, then maybe- but as it is,
              the only thing they have in common is apparently being taken over by voldermort :-\
              i actually prefer h/oc or h/luna or daphne

              Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world

              You H/Hr shippers amaze and amuse me! There is simply no way Harry would consider Hermione a love interest.

              Harry grew up in a home with an obsessive, perfectionist control freak (Petunia.) Hermione has too many traits similar to Petunia's. The friendship between the two exists because Harry appreciates Hermione's genuine concern about his well-being. His deep-seated desire for love and acceptance allows him to overlook her more obsessive traits.

              Ginny's personality as shown in canon compliments Harry's. She's rebellious against those who try to exert excessive control of her actions, not averse to breaking rules when necessary (or just for the fun of it), strong-willed in standing for what is right, and she loves Harry.

              Ginny comes from a large and loving family; something Harry dearly desires. Subconsciously, Harry fears he would be a parent like Vernon and Petunia. He feels Ginny would offset his "bad parent" tendencies.

              Having said that, I've read H/Hr stories that were very good. In those stories, the author significantly changes Hermione's personality to something that more nearly reflects the Ginny of canon!

              Those who cling to the fantasy of a H/Hr pairing obviously have little experience dealing with dysfunctional families. But then, that's has been one of my primary complaints about Rowling's Harry Potter world. There is no way a child like Harry could come from his early childhood environment with the strengths that Harry shows.

              A decade of abuse such as Harry suffered during his formative years would leave either a broken child unable to cope with the inevitable setbacks of real life or a new Dark Lord worse than Moldieshorts.

              --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "T.j." <deprimidachick09@...> wrote:

              > Always love the HHr pairings its the best one and i completely agree with you about the harry ginny pairing, can't stand it, makes me cringe every time i re read book 6 and now when i watch hp 6 :[ should have been Harry and Hermione

              [snipped]

            • Ceanne Mogg
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 26, 2010
                I am a slash fan first and foremost, then Gen and finally Het. So my opinion may
                not be the most conventional. But in my view Harry/Ginny or Harry/Hermione does
                not work at all due to the fact that as a previous replier said, Hermione is too
                controlling and a lot like his Aunt Petunia, and the reason I think Harry/Ginny
                doesn't work is that with the few details that we have of his mother, she
                reminds me of Lilly too much besides the fact that too me she seems like she is
                too jealous and controlling as well. But I will read a well written Harry/Luna
                or Harry/Daphne.

                ________________________________

                You H/Hr shippers amaze and amuse me! There is simply no way Harry would
                consider Hermione a love interest.

                Harry grew up in a home with an obsessive, perfectionist control freak
                (Petunia.) Hermione has too many traits similar to Petunia's. The friendship
                between the two exists because Harry appreciates Hermione's genuine concern
                about his well-being. His deep-seated desire for love and acceptance allows him
                to overlook her more obsessive traits.

                Ginny's personality as shown in canon compliments Harry's. She's rebellious
                against those who try to exert excessive control of her actions, not averse to
                breaking rules when necessary (or just for the fun of it), strong-willed in
                standing for what is right, and she loves Harry.

                Ginny comes from a large and loving family; something Harry dearly desires.
                Subconsciously, Harry fears he would be a parent like Vernon and Petunia. He
                feels Ginny would offset his "bad parent" tendencies.

                Having said that, I've read H/Hr stories that were very good. In those stories,
                the author significantly changes Hermione's personality to something that more
                nearly reflects the Ginny of canon!

                Those who cling to the fantasy of a H/Hr pairing obviously have little
                experience dealing with dysfunctional families. But then, that's has been one of
                my primary complaints about Rowling's Harry Potter world. There is no way a
                child like Harry could come from his early childhood environment with the
                strengths that Harry shows.

                A decade of abuse such as Harry suffered during his formative years would leave
                either a broken child unable to cope with the inevitable setbacks of real life
                or a new Dark Lord worse than Moldieshorts.

                --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "T.j." <deprimidachick09@...> wrote:

                > Always love the HHr pairings its the best one and i completely agree with you
                >about the harry ginny pairing, can't stand it, makes me cringe every time i re
                >read book 6 and now when i watch hp 6 :[ should have been Harry and Hermione

                [snipped]

              • Annie
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 27, 2010
                  Actually, I see no reason that Harry couldn't pick Hermione as a love interest. Regardless of the fact that he and Aunt Petunia don't get along, she was his "mother" growing up (ie: she raised him, albeit poorly). This means that contrary to wanting to find a girl who would be the opposite of Aunt Petunia, he would want a girl EXACTLY like Aunt Petunia! Haven't you heard of the whole "girls pick guys like their dad and guys pick girls like their mom" thing? And in that case, who have you said is like Aunt Petunia? Hermione. Enough said, if he's straight, no reason he couldn't go for her.

                  Now Ginny on the other hand, is NOT IN THE STORY ENOUGH TO BE A LOVE INTEREST. You have to get to know someone to love them, and Ginny and Harry almost never interact in the books. In my opinion, JKR has been reading fanfics since she was writing book 5, and must have really loved some H/G fic... but between JKR's epilogue in DH and the whole Ginny relationship coming out of nowhere, I wish she had left fanfic to do what it wanted (as it will anyway) and left canon untouched by our remarkably twisted brains.

                  No matter WHO Harry ends up with, I think when it comes down to it, we want it to be well written and believable. If that requires changing the character's personality a little bit, then so be it! People are ALLOWED to change. Personally, I don't care if Harry's going out with the Sorting Hat....so long as it's believable!!!

                  Also, I would like to briefly hit on your bit about abuse....it's not likely, sure, but it's not impossible that Harry could come from his childhood to adulthood so remarkably intact. Probably, a lot of the help that he needed upon being able to escape from such a household was given under the guise of "child who doesn't get the wizarding world and castles" instead of "child who was abused". It's not unprecedented to go on in life to be a decent human being after abuse. It's not "crumbling mess vs. dark lord" it's "crumbling mess vs. dark lord vs. resilient human being". Take as an example Dave Peltzer (sp?), who wrote an autobiography of sorts in a series starting with "A Child Called It". Yes, he faced horrible abuse, what seems to be far worse than Harry ever encountered, and he got taken into foster care when he was in middle school I believe, around the same age Harry goes to Hogwarts. If Dave can grow up to hold a job, be relatively normal, and not abuse his offspring after the childhood he had, so could Harry.

                  Just my $0.02 worth, and probably poorly argumented due to the early hour of the day. (I hate my neighborhood's rooster population. unless they're secretly saving me from a basilisk and then i think it's okay!)

                  -Annie
                • froop
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 27, 2010
                    Ginny had a personality outside of book 6? When did that happen?

                    I don't much care for either H/Hr or H/G but I tend to find the Ginny ship is annoying in that she is suddenly crafted into his perfect partner in book 6 out of nowhere then pretty much vanishes again in book 7.

                    If it had been built up over the first few books I'm sure I'd dislike it much less.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 27, 2010
                      yeah,comedy is, in canon, H/Luna would have made a lot more sense... and i hated the h/g pairing.
                      but i HAVE read quite a few harry/ginny fics that were quite good- but thats only cos it started their friendship earlier somewhere in book 3-4 and then changed that into a pairing- much more believable.

                      Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world

                      Ginny had a personality outside of book 6? When did that happen?

                      I don't much care for either H/Hr or H/G but I tend to find the Ginny ship is annoying in that she is suddenly crafted into his perfect partner in book 6 out of nowhere then pretty much vanishes again in book 7.

                      If it had been built up over the first few books I'm sure I'd dislike it much less.

                      --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "westtexasphantom" <davedopp@...> wrote:

                      > Ginny's personality as shown in canon compliments Harry's. She's rebellious against those who try to exert excessive control of her actions, not averse to breaking rules when necessary (or just for the fun of it), strong-willed in standing for what is right, and she loves Harry.

                    • J.Brenninkmeijer
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                        @westtexasphantom: Ginny doesn't love Harry. She loves Harry Potter. She loves
                        the Harry Potter of wizarding fairy tales, and that is no more evident in book 2
                        when Harry comes charging in as prince charming. Unfortunately, Ginny never
                        manages to love and learn about Harry for the sake of Harry, and that is what
                        JKR's biggest crime in the series is. The author never fleshes out her character
                        to a believable degree past acquaintance - ok, in book 5 at the DoM (she _is_ at
                        the DoM, right? It's been so long since I read that book) yes, that would make
                        her a definitive friend to Harry Potter - but not Harry the kid who was locked
                        in a closet for 11 years, Harry the kid who was forced to comply to the mundane.

                        Harry/Ginny was not believable in Book 6 or 7. There was never any indication he
                        felt for her, and the common room incident came completely out of left field. I
                        had to read that particular chapter three times before I could understand that
                        what I was reading was, in fact, what had happened. I had to glance at the cover
                        of the book to confirm that yes, I was reading Book 6 of the Harry Potter series
                        and not some badly written trash-fiction.

                        The point still stands, however, that no other female quite complements Harry
                        (if for all the wrong reasons) and, as such, I thoroughly expected to see Harry
                        either dead or an old hermit all on his lonesome by the end of the series.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                          Thank you for pointing that out!!! I was never crazy about the H/G pairing simply because of the reason you just gave. Ginny was a fan girl, she loves the Harry Potter of the wizarding fairy tales, and you're right, it is extremely evident in book 2, it's nothing more than mere infatuation. In book 6 the common room incident did come out of left field completely! (and yes she was their at DoM)
                          Yea she became a friend of sorts but it still didn't FEEL believable to the point that she really truly loved him for him, not as the famous boy who lived, just Harry. I didn't get that feel at all, it just completely felt as though she loved the idea of him.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                            like i said, the only good h/g fics were the ones that actually had them develop a friendship from the beginning.
                            and i know what you mean. that scene was totally out of the blue or not if you take into context the bucket full of clues that jkr left of how molly could make a love potion- or the sudden "monster in his chest" or the part of how easy it was for a student to nick one of the potions on display.
                            all those small small clues made me immediately think about ginny using the potion on him :-\
                            joke is, till they actually became a pair, i actually loved H/G fics- i think i felt sorry for her character and was hoping for h/g in cannon- but the way it was done in cannon, and all these small small things totally threw me off the pairing.
                            and, the part of boys wanting to be with someone like their mother is crap. neither H/G nor H/Hr made any sense to me.

                                    an oc muggle always made a lot of sense to me actually-
                            for someone who hated his fame, he would have liked to live with someone who did not know about his fame-atleast till she DID fall in love with him.
                            and luna was a decent choice too-she was too flighty to fall for the fairy tail, and she too had a crappy home life(dead mother and cracked father)

                            From: froop <mastafrooper@...>

                            To: stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Saturday, 28 August, 2010, 7:44 AM

                            wrote:

                            > Ginny's personality as shown in canon compliments Harry's. She's rebellious

                            >against those who try to exert excessive control of her actions, not averse to

                            >breaking rules when necessary (or just for the fun of it), strong-willed in

                            >standing for what is right, and she loves Harry.

                          • Sarah R
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                              You've got to remember that between the Battle and the Epilogue there was
                              twenty years, so although they may not work so well at Hogwarts they would
                              have had time after to make it work. I think Ginny got over THE Harry Potter
                              around the fifth book and so much happens in sixth and seventh that there
                              wasn't really time for Jo to put a decent romance in. I think pairing Harry
                              and Ginny off was thought of too late and squeezed in poorly, but I wouldn't
                              completely discount the pairing.

                              Personally I don't really mind about the pairing, as long as it's well
                              written. I mean, at the moment I'm reading The Code part one of a Draco
                              Malfoy trilogy that ends up DG - and so rather I would recommend it, you've
                              got the action, politics play, Voldemort etc. The romance is little but well
                              done.

                              --
                              Sarah

                            • Kenneth
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "J.Brenninkmeijer" <joe_brenninkmeijer@...> wrote:

                                > @westtexasphantom: Ginny doesn't love Harry. She loves Harry Potter. She loves
                                > the Harry Potter of wizarding fairy tales, and that is no more evident in book 2
                                > when Harry comes charging in as prince charming. Unfortunately, Ginny never
                                > manages to love and learn about Harry for the sake of Harry, and that is what
                                > JKR's biggest crime in the series is. The author never fleshes out her character
                                > to a believable degree past acquaintance - ok, in book 5 at the DoM (she _is_ at
                                > the DoM, right? It's been so long since I read that book) yes, that would make
                                > her a definitive friend to Harry Potter - but not Harry the kid who was locked
                                > in a closet for 11 years, Harry the kid who was forced to comply to the mundane.

                                If you admit you don't remember the book enough to remember if Ginny is at the DoM, then can you really be a credible person to comment?

                                JKR failed as an Author on many levels, but the vitriol against Ginny is really sickening in fanfiction.

                                You can't say that Ginny doesn't love Harry if you think you have the right to call her a fan-girl. There just isn't enough solid evidence. In fact, though sparse, there's more evidence to show she's not a fan-girl then there is to show that she is. The few memorable lines after book 4 show she isn't. He almost disregard for Harry at the beginning of book 5. Her laying into him Christmas time book 5. Her comment at the end of book 6 when she says something like, "You won't be happy unless you're hunting Voldemort" is the clearest statement that says she gets Harry.
                                Also holding her to a standard of love that most people seem to want to hold her to is just ridiculous. What love is perfect?

                                > Harry/Ginny was not believable in Book 6 or 7. There was never any indication he
                                > felt for her, and the common room incident came completely out of left field. I
                                > had to read that particular chapter three times before I could understand that
                                > what I was reading was, in fact, what had happened. I had to glance at the cover
                                > of the book to confirm that yes, I was reading Book 6 of the Harry Potter series
                                > and not some badly written trash-fiction.

                                Well, JKR did write horrible books 6 and 7. She gave ample evidence that Harry wanted Ginny the entire book. He had wet dreams about her. If it's unbelievable, or bad writing, take it out on the author, don't trash the characters.

                                > The point still stands, however, that no other female quite complements Harry
                                > (if for all the wrong reasons) and, as such, I thoroughly expected to see Harry
                                > either dead or an old hermit all on his lonesome by the end of the series.

                                He's 17 at the end of the series... get a grip?
                              • westtexasphantom
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                  Another thing that amuses me is the rabid justifications for everyone's positions on ships!

                                  By definition, fanfiction is always Alternative Universe. In other words, if it ain't written by JKR, it is not canon. Thus, any pairing in a non-canon story is possible.

                                  As I've said, I think that based on canon, the only relationship that makes sense is HG. Many disagree, obviously, and have written stories with other pairings. Some of those are very well-written and entertaining reads and I've enjoyed them despite my HG preference.

                                  Still, the long, drawn-out justifications for every pairing under the sun is a perfect example of mental masturbation. Another example is the rousing chorus of complaints if any character acts differently from canon.

                                  The beauty of fanfiction is the opportunity to see many points of view. The only criteria that makes sense when judging a fanfiction story is how well the author writes. (We all know the majority of fanfiction is poorly written.) It matters not what ship the author prefers; HG, HHr, HarryLuna, Harry Nagini, whatever so long as the story is well-written.

                                  The only reason I can see for rabidly opposing any ship is to convince authors to quit writing that ship. Fortunately, most of us ignore that!

                                  I suppose the best response I've seen to the rabid ones is, "Don't like it? Don't read it." (I forget who wrote that.) Rather than bitch about the ships you don't like, spend that energy writing your own story about the ship you DO like.

                                  If you write it well enough, I assure I, and many others, will read it and praise your talent - regardless of our ship preferences!

                                  --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "J.Brenninkmeijer" <joe_brenninkmeijer@...> wrote:

                                  > @westtexasphantom: Ginny doesn't love Harry. She loves Harry Potter. She loves
                                  > the Harry Potter of wizarding fairy tales, and that is no more evident in book 2
                                  > when Harry comes charging in as prince charming. Unfortunately, Ginny never
                                  > manages to love and learn about Harry for the sake of Harry, and that is what
                                  > JKR's biggest crime in the series is. The author never fleshes out her character
                                  > to a believable degree past acquaintance - ok, in book 5 at the DoM (she _is_ at
                                  > the DoM, right? It's been so long since I read that book) yes, that would make
                                  > her a definitive friend to Harry Potter - but not Harry the kid who was locked
                                  > in a closet for 11 years, Harry the kid who was forced to comply to the mundane.
                                  >
                                  > Harry/Ginny was not believable in Book 6 or 7. There was never any indication he
                                  > felt for her, and the common room incident came completely out of left field. I
                                  > had to read that particular chapter three times before I could understand that
                                  > what I was reading was, in fact, what had happened. I had to glance at the cover
                                  > of the book to confirm that yes, I was reading Book 6 of the Harry Potter series
                                  > and not some badly written trash-fiction.
                                  >
                                  > The point still stands, however, that no other female quite complements Harry
                                  > (if for all the wrong reasons) and, as such, I thoroughly expected to see Harry
                                  > either dead or an old hermit all on his lonesome by the end of the series.
                                  [snip]
                                • J.Brenninkmeijer
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                    It was my understanding that fallacy ad hominem is something bad. You're not
                                    about to argue against me by slagging me off are you? That would be exceedingly
                                    disrespectful.

                                    Your following statement, "the vitriol against Ginny is really sickening in
                                    fanfiction," really puts to bed any lingering fears I had about being compared
                                    to most fanfiction writers. [/sarcasm]

                                    Not only did I never state that I did not like the character, you'll notice that
                                    I was commenting on the relationship between Harry and Ginny. I believe my words
                                    paraphrase that her expectations and characterisation of Harry wallow in the
                                    mythical. Again, where do I mention any words along the lines of love potion?
                                    You're putting words into my mouth most unpleasantly.

                                    "Well, JKR did write horrible books 6 and 7. She gave ample evidence that Harry
                                    wanted Ginny the entire book. He had wet dreams about her. If it's unbelievable,
                                    or bad writing, take it out on the author, don't trash the characters."

                                    If you look at the preceding paragraph, you'll notice I did not trash the
                                    characters (again) and that I was commenting on the lack of a credible
                                    relationship (again) which continues on from the first paragraph - wherein I
                                    mention that yes, I believe JKR is responsible for the mess-ups and plot-holes
                                    in her books. Ginny and Harry cannot help how they feel - JKR is the one who is
                                    pulling the strings there. It would have been better for her to have spent more
                                    time and effort into making the book feel more credible than the marketing ploy
                                    it ended up being.

                                    "He's 17 at the end of the series... get a grip?"

                                    I believe, at the end of Deathly Hallows, Harry is, in fact, not 17. It's
                                    something like 15 - 20 years after the war is over so ~17 + (15 | 20) ≠ 17.
                                    Simple maths, right?

                                    Nevertheless, Harry/Ginny is canon - even if Harry survived the end of Book 7,
                                    and what's happened has happened. I'm annoyed at JKR for speeding through and
                                    failing to put in the effort and care she still had up to Book 5.

                                    And please, make sure that you fully read the email you are responding to before
                                    commenting on it. Arguments require thought, coherence, and proper
                                    sourcing/quoting.

                                    ________________________________
                                    > the Harry Potter of wizarding fairy tales, and that is no more evident in book
                                    >2
                                    >
                                    > when Harry comes charging in as prince charming. Unfortunately, Ginny never
                                    > manages to love and learn about Harry for the sake of Harry, and that is what
                                    > JKR's biggest crime in the series is. The author never fleshes out her
                                    >character
                                    >
                                    > to a believable degree past acquaintance - ok, in book 5 at the DoM (she _is_
                                    >at
                                    >
                                    > the DoM, right? It's been so long since I read that book) yes, that would make

                                    > her a definitive friend to Harry Potter - but not Harry the kid who was locked

                                    > in a closet for 11 years, Harry the kid who was forced to comply to the
                                    >mundane.

                                    If you admit you don't remember the book enough to remember if Ginny is at the
                                    DoM, then can you really be a credible person to comment?

                                    JKR failed as an Author on many levels, but the vitriol against Ginny is really
                                    sickening in fanfiction.

                                    You can't say that Ginny doesn't love Harry if you think you have the right to
                                    call her a fan-girl. There just isn't enough solid evidence. In fact, though
                                    sparse, there's more evidence to show she's not a fan-girl then there is to show
                                    that she is. The few memorable lines after book 4 show she isn't. He almost
                                    disregard for Harry at the beginning of book 5. Her laying into him Christmas
                                    time book 5. Her comment at the end of book 6 when she says something like, "You
                                    won't be happy unless you're hunting Voldemort" is the clearest statement that
                                    says she gets Harry.

                                    Also holding her to a standard of love that most people seem to want to hold her
                                    to is just ridiculous. What love is perfect?

                                    > Harry/Ginny was not believable in Book 6 or 7. There was never any indication
                                    >he
                                    >
                                    > felt for her, and the common room incident came completely out of left field. I
                                    >
                                    > had to read that particular chapter three times before I could understand that

                                    > what I was reading was, in fact, what had happened. I had to glance at the
                                    >cover
                                    >
                                    > of the book to confirm that yes, I was reading Book 6 of the Harry Potter
                                    >series
                                    >
                                    > and not some badly written trash-fiction.

                                    Well, JKR did write horrible books 6 and 7. She gave ample evidence that Harry
                                    wanted Ginny the entire book. He had wet dreams about her. If it's unbelievable,
                                    or bad writing, take it out on the author, don't trash the characters.

                                    > The point still stands, however, that no other female quite complements Harry
                                    > (if for all the wrong reasons) and, as such, I thoroughly expected to see Harry
                                    >
                                    > either dead or an old hermit all on his lonesome by the end of the series.

                                    He's 17 at the end of the series... get a grip?

                                  • adragonanzar
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                      I find that I must agree with 'westtexasphantom' in that the only criteria that should be observed is the quality of the story - spelling and grammar make the story either easy or hard to read - and the ability of the author to actually tell a story.

                                      For example, I was violently opposed to a pairing in fanfiction when I started reading it, but I came across a story with that pairing that was brilliantly written and so I enjoyed it. Equally, I didn't like Snape in Canon but I often like him in fanfiction. If you didn't enjoy the Ginny/Harry pairing in Canon, there is no reason why you might not enjoy it in fanfiction.

                                      Fanfiction is, as `westtexasphantom' says, an alternative universe, therefore anything goes. When you write a fanfiction, you are moulding a character from already created clay and fitting him or her into your story. I have read fanfictions that are so different from the original story that all the author would need to do to publish without falling foul of the copyright laws is just change the names.

                                      Personally, all these arguments, while interesting, seem to be just trying to justify your opinions to yourself rather than anyone else. Can we not just agree to disagree?

                                      Dragonanzar