a good mystery?

  • niffler87
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 11, 2009
      Does anyone have a good mystery/suspense fic to recommend? Something like Cursed by Myth & Legend or The Human Condition or The Pyramid of Phyre...

      the only conditions are that it doesn't have harry as solely dark and it's not a H/Hr fic (or a cross gen fic). Slash is OK, but I prefer cannon pairings. Or no romance is OK too.

      Anybody know any fics like that?

      Thanks!
    • Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2009
        I have recently finished His Dark Material Trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I
        couldn't imagine a better mystery fiction. I don't know how it managed to
        stay under the radar it is hundred times better than Harry potter in my
        humble opinion. I know it's not a fanfiction but if you wish, give it a
        try.

        --
        Never again.

      • Ceanne Mogg
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2009
          That Trilogy is really good, I read it years back, and now you have made me wanto find those books and read them again. It has been a while so it wont be as clear to me which is a good thing as I remember things too clearly.

          --
          Never again.

        • niffler87
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2009
            I have heard great things and thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, I'm currently living in Taiwan, so it'd be a little difficult to get my hands on an English copy. But I will def keep my eyes open.

            Any other recommendations? Ones that are, perhaps, more easily accessible?

            --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji <desert.blitz@...> wrote:

            > I have recently finished His Dark Material Trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I
            > couldn't imagine a better mystery fiction. I don't know how it managed to
            > stay under the radar it is hundred times better than Harry potter in my
            > humble opinion. I know it's not a fanfiction but if you wish, give it a
            > try.
            >
            > On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM, niffler87 <niffler87@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Does anyone have a good mystery/suspense fic to recommend? Something like
            > > Cursed by Myth & Legend or The Human Condition or The Pyramid of Phyre...
            > >
            > > the only conditions are that it doesn't have harry as solely dark and it's
            > > not a H/Hr fic (or a cross gen fic). Slash is OK, but I prefer cannon
            > > pairings. Or no romance is OK too.
            > >
            > > Anybody know any fics like that?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >

            > --
            > Never again.

          • Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2009
              Well, Fanfics can never match a real work of fiction in its imagery,
              allegory and power.After reading fanfics for so long, such exercise of
              imaginations are a welcome bresth of fresh air. I'm sure you can get many
              fanfic recommendation from the folks here, but take a look at project
              Gutenberg at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page. It's a site where out
              of print works of fictions are distributed for free. Nothing beats classics
              like Frankenstein or lord of the flies. From Lord of the rings to Narnia
              you'll find everything there. Give it a shot.

              As for His Dark Material, I don't know whether you're agreeable with piracy.
              I can give you a link to download the entire trilogy if you ignore the fact
              that not one penny will be paid to anyone.

              On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM, niffler87 <niffler87@...> wrote:

              > I have heard great things and thank you for the recommendation.
              > Unfortunately, I'm currently living in Taiwan, so it'd be a little difficult
              > to get my hands on an English copy. But I will def keep my eyes open.
              >
              > Any other recommendations? Ones that are, perhaps, more easily accessible?
              >
              > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji <desert.blitz@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have recently finished His Dark Material Trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I
              > > couldn't imagine a better mystery fiction. I don't know how it managed to
              > > stay under the radar it is hundred times better than Harry potter in my
              > > humble opinion. I know it's not a fanfiction but if you wish, give it a
              > > try.
              > >
              > > On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM, niffler87 <niffler87@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Does anyone have a good mystery/suspense fic to recommend? Something
              > like
              > > > Cursed by Myth & Legend or The Human Condition or The Pyramid of
              > Phyre...
              > > >
              > > > the only conditions are that it doesn't have harry as solely dark and
              > it's
              > > > not a H/Hr fic (or a cross gen fic). Slash is OK, but I prefer cannon
              > > > pairings. Or no romance is OK too.
              > > >
              > > > Anybody know any fics like that?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks!
              > > >

              > > --
              > > Never again.

              Never again.

            • Chris P
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2009
                Or you can buy them online, in ebook format :)

                http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pullman/books/books.html

                Not all of them are available in ebook format (the Omnibus edition isn't, by
                example), but the separate books of the trilogy are.
                --
                Ogden Nash <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/ogden_nash.html> -
                "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat."

              • Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 12, 2009
                  If I had a choice between buying and pirating, I'd buy. Phillip Pullman gave
                  me a memorable mental image that is worth paying for. Unfortunately, Buying
                  online is not really an option for someone in my country where e banking is
                  not even in infancy.

                  On another note, The Dresden Files are definitely worth a shot. The Language
                  and imagery is not as polished, but that series is just as gripping.

                  Never again.

                • tom_bombadil_vii
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 13, 2009
                    Brandon Sanderson has written several really good mysteries, and he has posted Warbreaker online as a sort of free sample. See his website for a much better description of his works (and a few early chapters) than I can give:

                    http://www.brandonsanderson.com/

                    --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji <desert.blitz@...> wrote:

                    > If I had a choice between buying and pirating, I'd buy. Phillip Pullman gave
                    > me a memorable mental image that is worth paying for. Unfortunately, Buying
                    > online is not really an option for someone in my country where e banking is
                    > not even in infancy.
                    >
                    > On another note, The Dresden Files are definitely worth a shot. The Language
                    > and imagery is not as polished, but that series is just as gripping.
                    >
                    > Never again.

                  • Aravind
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 13, 2009
                      Since we're talking about works of fiction other than fan fics now, I thought I'd recommend the 'Felix Castor' series by Mike Carey (I believe he's the dude who created the story which got made into the movie 'Constantine').

                      Castor is an English exorcist in a world where ghosts, zombies, loup-garous and even demons are beginning to pop up so frequently that the government itself is thinking of acknowledging them. But the dead don't scare Castor nearly as much as some of the living.

                      The books are amazingly well-written; even more engaging than 'The Dresden Files' at times. And even if you can see the plot twists coming they're still going to pack a heck of a punch. 4 books published so far in the series. Fans of Jim Butcher will definitely like them.
                      --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "niffler87" <niffler87@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone have a good mystery/suspense fic to recommend? Something like Cursed by Myth & Legend or The Human Condition or The Pyramid of Phyre...
                      >
                      > the only conditions are that it doesn't have harry as solely dark and it's not a H/Hr fic (or a cross gen fic). Slash is OK, but I prefer cannon pairings. Or no romance is OK too.
                      >
                      > Anybody know any fics like that?
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • elnooryn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 14, 2009
                        I don't know a lot about english fiction.But have read some of them. There is this trilogy written by Terry brooks, ít's really good. First book is callend 'children of armegadon', second 'the elves of Cintra'. The third book is still in process, don't know when it will be published. Guess real soon, considering the second book was published in 2008.

                        --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "niffler87" <niffler87@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone have a good mystery/suspense fic to recommend? Something like Cursed by Myth & Legend or The Human Condition or The Pyramid of Phyre...
                        >
                        > the only conditions are that it doesn't have harry as solely dark and it's not a H/Hr fic (or a cross gen fic). Slash is OK, but I prefer cannon pairings. Or no romance is OK too.
                        >
                        > Anybody know any fics like that?
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • Aravind
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 16, 2009
                          Sorry, but I forgot to mention the following warning when I recommended the 'Felix Castor' series. All the books in the series have mentions of brutal psychotic violence including murder, rape and abuse, disturbing sexual content and strong language. The author skips most of the actual 'deeds', so to speak, in his narration. But it's still enough to make many people queasy at times.

                          It's a brilliantly crafted story.. but not everyone's cup of tea.

                          --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Aravind" <aravindmohan32@...> wrote:

                          > Since we're talking about works of fiction other than fan fics now, I thought I'd recommend the 'Felix Castor' series by Mike Carey (I believe he's the dude who created the story which got made into the movie 'Constantine').
                          >
                          > Castor is an English exorcist in a world where ghosts, zombies, loup-garous and even demons are beginning to pop up so frequently that the government itself is thinking of acknowledging them. But the dead don't scare Castor nearly as much as some of the living.
                          >
                          > The books are amazingly well-written; even more engaging than 'The Dresden Files' at times. And even if you can see the plot twists coming they're still going to pack a heck of a punch. 4 books published so far in the series. Fans of Jim Butcher will definitely like them.
                          > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "niffler87" <niffler87@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Does anyone have a good mystery/suspense fic to recommend? Something like Cursed by Myth & Legend or The Human Condition or The Pyramid of Phyre...
                          > >
                          > > the only conditions are that it doesn't have harry as solely dark and it's not a H/Hr fic (or a cross gen fic). Slash is OK, but I prefer cannon pairings. Or no romance is OK too.
                          > >
                          > > Anybody know any fics like that?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks!

                        • Sarah
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 16, 2009
                            I like; "Oh sorry everyone, I forgot about all the rape, murder- you know
                            how it is!"

                            --
                            Sarah

                            "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."

                            "Die, to. verb: To stop sinning suddenly."

                          • Aravind Mohan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 16, 2009
                              Well. When you put it like that.. :D

                              Keep up with people you care about with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/connectmore

                            • Goltm3909@gmail.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 16, 2009
                                D�

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 16, 2009

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 18, 2009
                                    Just wondering if stranger trilogy is being continued or wether it is abandoned

                                    James