Re: We are preparing an action against IdiotBoy and Fanfiction.Net!

  • Dino
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2009
      Stupid....waste of everyone's time. Really..what's fanfiction.net to do?...Just delete some account because you say so? They have to investigate, and that takes time...while dealing with everything else they deal with. Not to mention, is fanfiction even legal? Why would you throw this whole sub-culture under the bus because of some little kid's boredom? Seems like you're bored too.

      --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Wim Vincken" <wim.vincken@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > publish it to a separate website.
      >
      > The purpose of that website is:
      >
      > * To collect enough attention across the world of Fan Fiction and
      > beyond and to pressure FF.Net to implement their policies
      > * To ask the visitors of the site to add an entry in the guest book
      > to express their opinion about the whole issue. Reason? We plan to
      > publish this information at all media outlets in the Internet (like
      > CNN).
      > * To give IdiotBoy exactly what he wants, except a bit more then he
      > hoped for (overkill, make the boy the most hated person in the world of
      > fan fiction and beyond and a warning of those other jokers out there)
      >
      > You can help. You can reach the web site here:
      > http://ffnisplagiarism.info <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/>
      >
      > * You don't need to register, simply add your comments into the guest
      > book <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/index.php/board,1.0.html>
      > * There is also a poll
      > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/index.php/topic,4.0.html>
      >
      > How are we spreading the message around and get people to pay attention
      > to the problems with IdiotBoy and FF.Net?
      >
      > 1. We want to ask you to spread the message
      > 2. We ask you to participate to take a look to the site and to add
      > one or more entries in the guest book and participate with the poll
      > 3. We will publish this message to all (Harry Potter) fan fiction
      > Google- and yahoo- user groups we can find with the same requests
      >
      > 4. We will publish this web site to all major search- and indexing
      > websites in the Internet (SEO) (that's the reason for the advertisement,
      > it attracts additional visitors and helps to pay for the domain and web
      > site)
      >
      > 5. We will contact all the (Harry Potter) Archiving web sites (like
      > this one) with the request to place an announcement on their sites (link
      > exchange; we place a link to their web site)) and we request the
      > owners/admins, to send an announcement to their members about the
      > situation and a link to the http://ffnisplagiarism.info
      > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> ) (you will find such announcement soon
      > in your mail from the HPFanficArchive and WC4 sites)
      >
      > 6. We contact all (Harry Potter) forums, blogs and other publication
      > web sites with the request to place an announcement on their sites (link
      > exchange; we place a link to their web site)) and we request the
      > owners/admins, to send an announcement to their members about the
      > situation and a link to the http://ffnisplagiarism.info
      > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> )
      > 7. We will publish the existence of http://ffnisplagiarism.info
      > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> to all Social Web sites we can find
      >
      > 8. We publish press releases about the existence of
      > http://ffnisplagiarism.info <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> and the
      > reasons why
      > 9. We contact media outlets (what ever we can find) like CNN and any
      > other (Internet) news paper
      >
      > When this action is successful, I want to keep the site for future

    • greenlemer
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2009
        --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "wavelink99" <wavelink99@...> wrote:

        > On a side note, why would you ever want to bring attention to the HP fanfiction >community like this? It might, no matter how small the chance, make JKR rethink >allowing fanfiction of her work. Some authors, like Anne Rice, have complained about >fanfiction of their work, and you know what? YOU CAN'T WRITE FANFICTION OF THEIR >STORIES ANYMORE!
        >
        > You seem to think writing fanfiction is some ingrained right that you have. It's not. It's a >privilege, and one that can easily be taken away. Recognize that, and forget this stupid >project of yours.

        QFT

        Seriously Anne Rice sues people who write fanfictions of her work . Wim do you really want this to happen.

        Wim , as far as I can see you haven't refuted the point that whatever action you are taking could do more harm to the community then good. You haven't refuted that fact that at the end of the day we are playing with someone else's copyright and could be shut down at any point.

        You keep going on and on about the "blood , sweat and tears" some addon authors go through to write the storys we love.

        Have you stopped to think about the "blood , sweat and tears" that the original authors / scriptwriters / author / directors etc etc of the Fandoms we write fanfictions for went through ? Stephen King writes 363 days of the year. JK Rowling had a relationship break up leading to clinical depression, and contemplated suicide a year before finishing the first Manuscript of Philosopher's stone. Van Goth cut off his own ear.

        What's makes their suffering less then your precious addon authors ? What makes your addon authors more precious then the original producers of the content they use to write thier stories.

        You still have not addressed that issue either.

        - honemelgren@... , Tired as hell from an overnight and getting too old for this s*****
      • arecnis101
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2009
          Sounds like fun. 8s

          But still, can't FF.net just ban this character's IP address ?

          Then he would'nt be able to create alt accounts and continue this sad little mess for attention. Which I bet my lunch money ( :P ) has him laughing over the stir he is causing.

          --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Dino" <congenialjackass@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > in your mail from the HPFanficArchive and WC4 sites)
          > >
          > > 6. We contact all (Harry Potter) forums, blogs and other publication
          > > web sites with the request to place an announcement on their sites (link
          > > exchange; we place a link to their web site)) and we request the
          > > owners/admins, to send an announcement to their members about the
          > > situation and a link to the http://ffnisplagiarism.info
          > > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> )
          > > 7. We will publish the existence of http://ffnisplagiarism.info
          > > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> to all Social Web sites we can find
          > >
          > > 8. We publish press releases about the existence of
          > > http://ffnisplagiarism.info <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> and the
          > > reasons why
          > > 9. We contact media outlets (what ever we can find) like CNN and any
          > > other (Internet) news paper
          > >
          > > When this action is successful, I want to keep the site for future

        • Sarah Rivers
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2, 2009
            I bet IdiotBoy is actually Wim, and he's here to draw attention to himself.
            Shame on you Wim. Shame.
            2009/8/3 arecnis101 <arecnis101@...>

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > 6. We contact all (Harry Potter) forums, blogs and other publication
            > > > web sites with the request to place an announcement on their sites
            > (link
            > > > exchange; we place a link to their web site)) and we request the
            > > > owners/admins, to send an announcement to their members about the
            > > > situation and a link to the http://ffnisplagiarism.info
            > > > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> )
            > > > 7. We will publish the existence of http://ffnisplagiarism.info
            > > > <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> to all Social Web sites we can find
            > > >
            > > > 8. We publish press releases about the existence of
            > > > http://ffnisplagiarism.info <http://ffnisplagiarism.info/> and the
            > > > reasons why
            > > > 9. We contact media outlets (what ever we can find) like CNN and any
            > > > other (Internet) news paper
            > > >
            > > > When this action is successful, I want to keep the site for future

            Sarah

            "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."

            "Die, to. verb: To stop sinning suddenly."

          • arecnis101
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 2, 2009
              D :

              I bet its actually Sarah!!!

              After all, if FF.net did take action and took steps to stop this character ( eg: banning IP address from visiting / browsing FF.net )
              then Wim is in for a spot of trouble unless he buys a masker or consults his ISP for a new IP address, something that would put a bit of a spanner in the works.

              Why are you trying to start the finger pointing within ? 8s

              This is like an episode of Internal Affairs!

              Who is the good cop and who is the bad cop ? D :

              The Departed anybody ?

              --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Rivers <imadoodlenoodle@...> wrote:

              > I bet IdiotBoy is actually Wim, and he's here to draw attention to himself.
              > Shame on you Wim. Shame.
              > 2009/8/3 arecnis101 <arecnis101@...>
              >

              > > Sounds like fun. 8s
              > >
              > > But still, can't FF.net just ban this character's IP address ?
              > >
              > > Then he would'nt be able to create alt accounts and continue this sad
              > > little mess for attention. Which I bet my lunch money ( :P ) has him
              > > laughing over the stir he is causing.
              > >

              > > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "Dino" <congenialjackass@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Stupid....waste of everyone's time. Really..what's fanfiction.net to
              > > do?...Just delete some account because you say so? They have to investigate,
              > > and that takes time...while dealing with everything else they deal with. Not
              > > to mention, is fanfiction even legal? Why would you throw this whole
              > > sub-culture under the bus because of some little kid's boredom? Seems like
              > > you're bored too.
              > > >
              > > > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > > of

              > > has

              > > advertisement,

              > > (link

              > > (link

              > --
              > Sarah
              >
              > "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
              >
              > "Die, to. verb: To stop sinning suddenly."

            • Ashfaqul Anwar Siraji
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 3, 2009
                Wow, talk about degenerative arguements.
                I have no doubt that Wim has good intentions and what IdiotBoy doeas is
                certainly wrong. But, As someone aptly said before, we play with charecters
                created through much sacrifice by the original authors. They geraciously
                allowed this to happen. So I don't see why IB bothers wim so much.
                I've seen blatant copy of Shezza's denerian series in a blogging site. The
                stupid thief tried to give the protagonist a deifferent name as a claim of
                originality, but failed quite pathetically. When the folks at DLP noticed
                it, they laughed it up. I think that's what would be the best course of
                action, to laugh at IB. He doesn't deserve anything other than derision.
                ---
                Never again.