Re: Harry's 'hot' problem

  • elnooryn
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
      That is a very intersting theory you got there. But canon
      Harry,doesn't have a connection with PL harry.PL Harry was dead when
      SIUL Harry came. That was not the case in SIUL. There was a body
      switch ( I think), because Dark knight harry wasn't dead.

      I hope I make some sence......

      --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "J.Brenninkmeijer"
      <joe_brenninkmeijer@...> wrote:

      > Yes Harry is a phoenix animagus, and yes he is overheating yet
      there is one thing no-one has as of yet pointed out.
      > Now, Harry has effectively taken over Harry's place in the
      Promised world, but thinking about how Harry inherited Unholy
      Harry's physical form in the first story (and with that his
      memories), there must be some form of inheritance (or penance if you
      will) Harry has to take on in order to align himself as the Harry of
      Promised Land.
      > Promised land Harry died in a fire, right? Well, what happens when
      one perishes in a fire?

      > (those of you who have seen the Kyoto arc of Rouroni Kenshin will
      probably see what line of inquiry I'm going with)

      > When one dies in a fire, the first organ destroyed is the
      epidermis (the skin) - and with that all the sweat glands. When the
      sweat glands are gone, the body overheats because it doesn't have
      any means of easily getting rid of the excess heat. Symptons include
      a much higher temperature than normal, headaches, and higher
      fatigue. The real problems only come when someone does intense
      exercise (ala Shishio.) Then a person's body fluids begin to
      evaporate, eventually culminating in the person's body fat reaching
      the temperature levels required for spontaneous combustion (meaning
      you body sets fire to itself spontaneously - not a fun way to go.)

      > Harry magic is most likely protecting against whatever he is
      afflicted with from becoming fatal - thus the weakening spell power.
      I'm not quite sure looking at the story how Harry would have to deal
      and then solve the problems arising from this complication. Also,
      the big problem with this theory is that it assumes Harry has
      inherited some penance or other in order to become accepted
      genetically and magically in this Land.

      > Marquis Le'Quack

    • Della
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2007
        Oohh, some excellent text citations. I'm really quite pleased by your
        response. Too often people comment without any evidence. Im very glad
        you went back and found some which may indicate that Harry's "burning
        up" may have a connection to his form.

        I now can't help but wonder what the physical results may be. He'll
        obviously grow weaker...as Fawkes looked ruddy terrible prior to, but
        how would a burning physically manifest? Smiles, I can't help but
        picture it as spontaneous combustion. Wouldn't be hilarious if it were
        in the great hall. Laughs, Harry really wouldn't be able to keep his
        secret then.

        And again, kudos for the textual reference. Must have taken some work.
        I really do rather hope you're right.

        Della

        --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "meitle" <meitle@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > themselves in your human mind. Over time, you will come to recognize
        > them and control them. It's nothing particularly strong, simply that
        > creatures like owls, bats and wolves tend to find themselves staying
        > up later, enjoying the night and hating mornings. Those who become
        > birds lose any hint of vertigo and speaking from experience, cats
        > dislike rodents and water. Over the next few weeks, you will begin to
        > feel these impulses pulling at you."
        > "And what impulses would a phoenix have?"
        > "I cannot say," said McGonagall. "That's what makes this so
        > interesting. Remember, we are in uncharted territory, Harry. You may
        > also notice some smaller changes in your character and body. Some
        > people develop more physical qualities similar to their form. For
        > example, a girl who left here two years before you arrived chose to
        > become an Animagus in her final year. Her form was a hawk. She found
        > that her eyesight improved as she developed her ability."
        > Harry was still trying to guess how a Phoenix would affect him. He
        > could already feel something different about the world; he could sense
        > magic before it happened, but that was about it. One thought occurred
        > to him - Fawkes was red; Harry just hoped he didn't turn ginger.
        > "When an urge comes to you," McGonagall continued, "don't fight it.
        > Allow it to wash over you. Remember, it is just an urge; you can
        > choose not to do it, but letting the animal into your mind will speed
        > up your transition."
        > "Right," said Harry. He still wondered how this applied to him.
        >
        > -and the truth is we still don't know how this applies to him
        >
        > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "Della" <della_couer@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The DNA observation could indeed be just Jono's way of showing that
        > > Tom is becoming more and more interested in just "who" Harry is. A
        > > basis for his concern so to speak.
        > >
        > > And I personally love the phoenix idea even with the flaw inherent.
        > > (For instance as far as we no Jono hasn't stated that normal wizards
        > > and witches expireance the same thing their forms do (for instance I
        > > doubt MacGonagall goes into heat. Or rather hope not as that provides
        > > a creepy image.) You could argue that Harry's magical creature form is
        > > a first and abnormal, thus perhaps a more abnormal reaction.)
        > >
        > > Still, no matter how much I like it i can't help but wonder if Jono
        > > would just spring something like this, an addition to magical theory
        > > without alluding to the possibility first. I personally don't recall,
        > > and feel free to challenge me, any mention that Harry might have an
        > > unusual reaction to his form, either in "Promised Land" or "Unholy
        > Land".
        > >
        > > However, on a side note...Congrats Jono for creating several possible
        > > theories for Harry's condition. One right perhaps and several red
        > > herrings? Who is to say. I am hoping that the next chapter provides
        > > some answers as I think we've all grown accustomed to having a
        > > powerful Harry as the center of the fic.

      • flower_burner70
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
          I have a way that might have been mentioned before... When america was
          being settled all the diseases from great britan and the like followed
          the settlers. And as a result the native americans who had no
          resistances to the diseases were nearly wiped out, as they had no
          defences against smallpox so to can harry who is from another reality
          might be dying from a common cold. This example is also shown in the
          book and movie 'war of the worlds'.
        • C.
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
            That's a really nice theory. If that is the case, how the heck is he going to get better? He's going to be like bubble boy or something.

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
              Well, not really, as babies don't have any specific defenses against
              diseases, and thats why it can be really serious when they get sick.

              But, one problem with that theory is that there's no reason the potion
              Pomfrey gave him wouldn't work. It could be possible his body rejected
              it due to his DNA, but that doesnt seem likely to me.

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                Your right Promfrey did say their was no sign of influenza or viruses,
                Imust have over looked that... it is probly related to either malfoy,
                harry's phoenix form or something else magical because when I had a
                fever of 107 fahrenheit I thought I was a mix between a pink bunny and
                a telephone, or so says my mom I really couldn't remember anything from
                that time.
              • C.
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Also, (this may have already been mentioned) perhaps the temperatures are different between worlds. Like say, the normal temperature across the worlds is 98.7 or whatever. But there's a variation among what that actually is. Say, Harry's home world 98.7 fahrenheit may actually equate to 99.8 fahrenheit in the promised land. Maybe there's just a difference in the base norm in measurements. I hope I explained that okay.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                    Or perhaps harry is hotter then normal is simply a new side effect of
                    his transformation into a phoenix and he simply isn't used to it yet
                    and his sickness is unrelated to the temp.

                    --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "C." <ccarroll003@...> wrote:

                    > Also, (this may have already been mentioned) perhaps the
                    temperatures are different between worlds. Like say, the normal
                    temperature across the worlds is 98.7 or whatever. But there's a
                    variation among what that actually is. Say, Harry's home world 98.7
                    fahrenheit may actually equate to 99.8 fahrenheit in the promised
                    land. Maybe there's just a difference in the base norm in
                    measurements. I hope I explained that okay.

                  • Sara
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                      But what about Malfoy's curse? We still don't know what it was, right?
                      It's possible Malfoy really didn't know what it was either and it was
                      darker than he thought. Also, Harry's magic has been draining. He
                      couldn't even throw a half-way decent stunner at Luna and he was
                      trying. When he uses his magic, he feels worse.
                      And what will this mean for the future of the fic? He has to get
                      better or else he won't be able to do adequate magic. If his "hot
                      problem" has to do with his pheonix animagus, Poppy will have to know
                      about it to really help him, right?
                      So maybe his true identity will come out sooner than we think. The
                      summary for Promised Land says he will have to trust someone he said
                      he never would. I take this to mean Riddle as the only other person
                      like that would probably be Snape and he seems to be a Deatheater here
                      and no spy. But how could anyone find out without Harry telling them
                      or someone using Veritaserum on him? Off topic I go...

                      So, what is the possibility of Malfoy's curse plus Harry's pheonix
                      animagus equalling burning hot temperature and magic drain?

                      -sara

                      --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "theevilcat_22"