Re: [stranger_trilogy] Re: I found some mistakes in DH

  • Pooja
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 26, 2007
      Okay...

      So no spells couild work on the cloak, but can spells go THROUGH it?
      Dumbledore had put that bind on Harry in book 6...

      On 7/25/07, tom_bombadil_vii <tom_bombadil_vii@...> wrote:

      > Rowling's books are sometimes inconsistent with each other (prefects
      > could take points in book two but not book five; Marcus Flint was a
      > sixth year in book one but still present in book three), but there are
      > internally consistent. I think this is because of the difficulty of
      > forseeing all the differences between a world of magic and our own.
      >
      > ~Master Bombadil
      >
      > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Christen DiBiase
      > <cdibiase@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > It isn't an ultimate invisibility cloak, it's just an everlasting
      > one, and as demonstrated in one part of the book when someone tries to
      > summon it, spells don't work on it. Plus, the whole death can't find
      > you thing is a myth that cropped up around the perverell brother's
      > inventions, as said by dumbledore when Harry is semi- dead.
      > > From: stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
      > [stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com <stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>] On
      > Behalf Of Noah Plants
      > [bigguy_np@...]
      > > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:44 AM
      > > To: stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: [stranger_trilogy] I found some mistakes in DH
      > >
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
      > >

      > > OK. did any other person find that the idea of Harry having
      > basically the ultimate invisibility cloak kinda far fetched. i mean if
      > Moody can see through it in fourth year how good is it really. also
      > Dumbles looks right at him when they are in Hagrids hut. If all it
      > took for Death to find the invisible guy is be be powerful as
      > dumbledor i think that he has it covered, hello he is death, Or even
      > to have a magical eye makes that part of the story really weak.
      > >
      > > Noah Plants
      > >
      > > bigguy_np@...<mailto:bigguy_np%40yahoo.com>

      ~♥~
      ╔~₪*Harry Potter!*₪~╗
      ♥Pooja♥
      ╚~₪*Harry Potter!*₪~╝
      ~♥~

    • maikpjam
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, "tom_bombadil_vii"
        <tom_bombadil_vii@...> wrote:

        > Rowling's books are sometimes inconsistent with each other (prefects
        > could take points in book two but not book five; Marcus Flint was a
        > sixth year in book one but still present in book three), but there are
        > internally consistent. I think this is because of the difficulty of
        > forseeing all the differences between a world of magic and our own.
        >
        > ~Master Bombadil

        Naw. The incorrect reconciliation between books is sloppy work, nothing
        else. This is especially true for something like Marcus Flint, since he
        was not a main character in anyway, shape or form, inserting another
        name would have been simple. Some good editors would have helped her
        out immensly in later books, expecially dealing with consistency issues.
      • tom_bombadil_vii
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
          Yeah, that's the idea. It's an Invisibility Cloak, not armor.
          Remember, Malfoy was able to put the Imperius Curse on Broderick Bode
          while Bode was wearing an Invisibility Cloak.

          ~Master Bombadil

          --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, Pooja <hpfan4ever@...> wrote:

          > Okay...
          >
          > So no spells couild work on the cloak, but can spells go THROUGH it?
          > Dumbledore had put that bind on Harry in book 6...
          >

          > On 7/25/07, tom_bombadil_vii <tom_bombadil_vii@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Rowling's books are sometimes inconsistent with each other (prefects
          > > could take points in book two but not book five; Marcus Flint was a
          > > sixth year in book one but still present in book three), but there are
          > > internally consistent. I think this is because of the difficulty of
          > > forseeing all the differences between a world of magic and our own.
          > >
          > > ~Master Bombadil
          > >
          > > --- In
          stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > Christen DiBiase
          > > <cdibiase@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > It isn't an ultimate invisibility cloak, it's just an everlasting
          > > one, and as demonstrated in one part of the book when someone tries to
          > > summon it, spells don't work on it. Plus, the whole death can't find
          > > you thing is a myth that cropped up around the perverell brother's
          > > inventions, as said by dumbledore when Harry is semi- dead.
          > > > From:
          stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > [stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com
          <stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>] On
          > > Behalf Of Noah Plants
          > > [bigguy_np@]
          > > > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:44 AM
          > > > To:
          stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > > Subject: [stranger_trilogy] I found some mistakes in DH
          > > >
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > > SPOILERS!!!!!!!
          > > >

          > > > OK. did any other person find that the idea of Harry having
          > > basically the ultimate invisibility cloak kinda far fetched. i mean if
          > > Moody can see through it in fourth year how good is it really. also
          > > Dumbles looks right at him when they are in Hagrids hut. If all it
          > > took for Death to find the invisible guy is be be powerful as
          > > dumbledor i think that he has it covered, hello he is death, Or even
          > > to have a magical eye makes that part of the story really weak.
          > > >
          > > > Noah Plants
          > > >
          > > > bigguy_np@<mailto:bigguy_np%40yahoo.com>

          > --
          > ~♥~
          > â•"~₪*Harry Potter!*₪~╗
          > ♥Pooja♥
          > ╚~₪*Harry Potter!*₪~╝
          > ~♥~

        • mintwise
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
            <tom_bombadil_vii@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, that's the idea. It's an Invisibility Cloak, not armor.
            > Remember, Malfoy was able to put the Imperius Curse on Broderick Bode
            > while Bode was wearing an Invisibility Cloak.

            That cloak was Moody's, though, not Harry's. It was not a 'deathly
            hallow'. That is exactly the thing that's supposed to be special about
            Harry's cloak. Normal cloaks fail over time and can be destroyed and
            tampered with via spells. What you mentioned is only an inconsistency
            if you can find a place in the books where Harry's cloak did not ward
            off a spell. Which you might. I didn't check. Just pointing out a
            small thing.
          • hele br
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
              I think he is referring to when in DH the cloak wasn't affected by a 'accio
              cloak' spell. That doesn't mean it guards the user from spells, though, only
              that the cloak itself wont be affected by them.

              In the open chat, JKR answered the question of how DD knew Harry was under
              it: he was casting 'homminus revelio' (sp?) wordlessly. It's apparently a
              spell to reveal human presence, used by Hermione on DH (I can't remember
              when, though).

              hl.

              On 01/08/07, mintwise <mintwise@...> wrote:

              > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "tom_bombadil_vii"
              > <tom_bombadil_vii@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yeah, that's the idea. It's an Invisibility Cloak, not armor.
              > > Remember, Malfoy was able to put the Imperius Curse on Broderick Bode
              > > while Bode was wearing an Invisibility Cloak.
              >
              > That cloak was Moody's, though, not Harry's. It was not a 'deathly
              > hallow'. That is exactly the thing that's supposed to be special about
              > Harry's cloak. Normal cloaks fail over time and can be destroyed and
              > tampered with via spells. What you mentioned is only an inconsistency
              > if you can find a place in the books where Harry's cloak did not ward
              > off a spell. Which you might. I didn't check. Just pointing out a
              > small thing.

            • Mari Toni Ann Fernandez
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
                Just a question:

                Did it say in book seven what the Elder Wand was made of (wood, core,
                length)?

                http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
              • ~*~ Angelmorph ~*~
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
                  >Just a question:
                  >
                  >Did it say in book seven what the Elder Wand was made of (wood, core,
                  >length)?

                  From post #3134:

                  >P.S. On a sidenote, did is it mentioned in the book what kind of wood,
                  >wandcore and length does the Elder Wand have?

                  I realize that this is a fairly old post but I didn't see an answer to it so
                  I thought I'd do so.

                  The Elder Wand was, naturally, made of elder wood, I don't believe the core
                  was mentioned.

                  "So Death crossed to an elder tree on the banks of the river, fashioned a
                  wand from a branch that hung there, and gave it to the oldest brother."

                  angelmorph

                  simple, and safer than ever and best of all � it�s still free. Try it today!
                  www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA146
                • Mari Toni Ann Fernandez
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
                    Thanks

                    >From: "~*~ Angelmorph ~*~" <angelmorph@...>
                    >To: stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: RE: [stranger_trilogy] Just a Question
                    >Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 17:58:15 -0400
                    >
                    > >Just a question:
                    > >
                    > >Did it say in book seven what the Elder Wand was made of (wood, core,
                    > >length)?
                    >
                    >From post #3134:
                    >
                    > >P.S. On a sidenote, did is it mentioned in the book what kind of wood,
                    > >wandcore and length does the Elder Wand have?
                    >
                    >I realize that this is a fairly old post but I didn't see an answer to it
                    >so
                    >I thought I'd do so.
                    >
                    >The Elder Wand was, naturally, made of elder wood, I don't believe the core
                    >was mentioned.
                    >
                    >"So Death crossed to an elder tree on the banks of the river, fashioned a
                    >wand from a branch that hung there, and gave it to the oldest brother."
                    >
                    >angelmorph

                    >simple, and safer than ever and best of all � it�s still free. Try it
                    >today!
                    >www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA146
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
                    http://get.live.com/en-ph/mail/features
                  • Christen DiBiase
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Someone else asks what kind of wood the elder wand is, and I swear to god I'm going to shoot myself. ELDER wand people ELDER wand. Hmmm. I wonder. Lets go check the book! Nope can't find it in there. Must just be one of those details they left out, what a shame.
                      Yes, as you can clearly tell, I am pissed off.
                      Sorry.
                      -Me
                      > >Did it say in book seven what the Elder Wand was made of (wood, core,
                      > >length)?
                      >
                      >From post #3134:
                      >
                      > >P.S. On a sidenote, did is it mentioned in the book what kind of wood,
                      > >wandcore and length does the Elder Wand have?
                      >
                      >I realize that this is a fairly old post but I didn't see an answer to it
                      >so
                      >I thought I'd do so.
                      >
                      >The Elder Wand was, naturally, made of elder wood, I don't believe the core
                      >was mentioned.
                      >
                      >"So Death crossed to an elder tree on the banks of the river, fashioned a
                      >wand from a branch that hung there, and gave it to the oldest brother."
                      >
                      >angelmorph

                      >simple, and safer than ever and best of all – it’s still free. Try it
                      >today!
                      >www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA146
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Stephen Stephan
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
                        Well, back in the day when a child was being rather naughty a good parent, being a good parent and doing what good parents did, would instruct the naughty child to complete a humbling task. This task was somewhat of a ritual in and of itself. The child went on a quest to complete this task more often then naught because the naughty children, being naughty and not really showing much hope of altering their behavior because generally naughty children are stubborn and do not change their behaviors because of a normal lack of consequences without this daunting quest.

                        The quest is usually brutal as it's always in front of witnesses whom smirk or look on in abject horror; normally because the child is someone else's and it is not their responsibility nor their right to interfere with the child once they've been placed upon the quest.

                        The quest? Well, it's rather simple and obvious if you take a look at the mapwork ahead of you. The naughty child, humbled into the quest, is instructed to walk out into their back yard and pick a switch. The elder wand was probably the best switch at the time. I hope that answers your question.

                        Jeers.

                        Christen DiBiase <cdibiase@...> wrote:
                        Someone else asks what kind of wood the elder wand is, and I swear to god I'm going to shoot myself. ELDER wand people ELDER wand. Hmmm. I wonder. Lets go check the book! Nope can't find it in there. Must just be one of those details they left out, what a shame.
                        Yes, as you can clearly tell, I am pissed off.
                        Sorry.
                        -Me
                        > >Did it say in book seven what the Elder Wand was made of (wood, core,
                        > >length)?
                        >
                        >From post #3134:
                        >
                        > >P.S. On a sidenote, did is it mentioned in the book what kind of wood,
                        > >wandcore and length does the Elder Wand have?
                        >
                        >I realize that this is a fairly old post but I didn't see an answer to it
                        >so
                        >I thought I'd do so.
                        >
                        >The Elder Wand was, naturally, made of elder wood, I don't believe the core
                        >was mentioned.
                        >
                        >"So Death crossed to an elder tree on the banks of the river, fashioned a
                        >wand from a branch that hung there, and gave it to the oldest brother."
                        >
                        >angelmorph

                        >simple, and safer than ever and best of all – it’s still free. Try it
                        >today!
                        >www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA146
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • deji alade
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 1, 2007
                          Stephen Stephan wrote:
                          "The child went on a quest to complete this task more often then naught because the naughty children, being naughty and not really showing much hope of altering their behavior because generally naughty children are stubborn and do not change their behaviors because of a normal lack of consequences without this daunting quest."

                          huh?!

                        • meitle
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 2, 2007
                            --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com, deji alade <dkalade2006@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Stephen Stephan wrote:
                            > "The child went on a quest to complete this task more often then
                            naught because the naughty children, being naughty and not really
                            showing much hope of altering their behavior because generally
                            naughty children are stubborn and do not change their behaviors
                            because of a normal lack of consequences without this daunting quest."

                            > huh?!

                            kid picks wood, kid gets beat, kid learns nothing.
                          • hele br
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 2, 2007
                              I think the 'uh?' was about how that anecdote (lesson, whatever) had
                              anything to do with the topic at hand. Do the OPs of the question were the
                              same person? I think not...#is bewildered as well#

                              hl.

                              On 02/08/07, meitle <meitle@...> wrote:

                              > --- In stranger_trilogy@yahoogroups.com<stranger_trilogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > deji alade <dkalade2006@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Stephen Stephan wrote:
                              > > "The child went on a quest to complete this task more often then
                              > naught because the naughty children, being naughty and not really
                              > showing much hope of altering their behavior because generally
                              > naughty children are stubborn and do not change their behaviors
                              > because of a normal lack of consequences without this daunting quest."
                              >
                              > > huh?!
                              >
                              > kid picks wood, kid gets beat, kid learns nothing.

                            • john farrell
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 3, 2007
                                just to point out that there is no inconsistency between books 2 and 5 in respect to the point docking. in book 2 percy took points from a student however in book 5 ernie mcmillan states "You can't dock points from fellow prefects Malfoy" as he tried to take points from hermione and ernie and ron who were prefects aswel as students. therefor it is not a mistake.